Was Ched Evans correctly convicted in the first place?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Ched Evans, guilty or not guilty of rape?

Guilty
27%
Not Guilty
73%

Total votes : 15

Was Ched Evans correctly convicted in the first place?

Postby JordanTheGunner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 am

Started reading into this Ched Evans stuff.

Usually when a high profile celeb comes up in the news, it's all some big misunderstanding and they are usually let off. But I never looked into this, I always thought courts needed substantial evidence as were normally very leniant towards celebs/famous people so I never looked into this case.

But now I have... opinions?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Was Ched Evans correctly convicted in the first place?

Postby NorthBank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:53 pm

It's clearly an unsafe conviction. The only way that Evans could be found guilty is if the woman was too drunk to give consent to anybody, given that the jury acquitted his co-defendant (hence confirming that she wasn't too drunk to give consent) it beggars belief that they found him guilty.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 pm

A poll on an internet forum to decide whether a man is guilty of rape or not.

My, the class doth flow like a mighty river down a mountain of justice
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby NorthBank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Well if you bothered to read about the facts of the case you might be in a position to make a sensible comment.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:45 pm

We have to rely on the integrity of the jury who know more about the deeper details of this case than we do. However In my opinion the time when everyone who took the Juror's Oath could be expected to adhere to it are gone, now I think there are too many people who would take advantage of their position and argue for a verdict that suits their views rather than the evidence. Though of course this scenario might not apply to this case.
Last edited by Royal Gooner on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby NorthBank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 pm

The crux of the case is whether the woman was too drunk to consent - the jury decided she wasn't by acquitting McDonald - therefore since there is no other evidence except that supplied by Evans/McDonald (who said she did consent) the conviction is illogical and hence unsafe.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 pm

NorthBank wrote:Well if you bothered to read about the facts of the case you might be in a position to make a sensible comment.

No, I wouldn't.

Because I'm just some random on the internet.

Justice in our country is delivered by judges. Juries and the laws which hold them to account.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby NorthBank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:02 pm

There is a long history of miscarriages of justice, this is probably one of them. Doing the brass monkey doesn't serve fairness or justice.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 pm

NorthBank wrote:There is a long history of miscarriages of justice, this is probably one of them. Doing the brass monkey doesn't serve fairness or justice.

It might be one of them. If it is I sincerely hope he is acquitted, and if that turns out to be the case then what a terrible injustice he has suffered.

However, playing Inspector Clueso on an Arsenal forum does not serve justice well. Our judicial system, for all its faults, at least offers scrutiny of cases in a professional setting, and long term, that system threatens to be undermined by idle Internet chatter and trial by media.

So I choose to say nothing about the "facts" of the case

UFGN

Postby NorthBank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 pm

Your call - but the facts of the case point very strongly to a flawed verdict.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby JordanTheGunner » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:33 am

I'm glad he still hasn't given up hope, hearing of new evidence/more witnesses.

There are those who won't read into it, because they know what they'll find and they won't like it, some would rather turn a blind eye, talk some crap about not knowing the facts and then say our justice system is lovely jubbly. Those sort of people are the ones letting down our country. A lot of those people also make up a big proportion of the government, not because they are idiotic by nature but probably because they are scared of losing their job.

If it does get overturned you have to question the sanity of either the people in the court room or the laws brought forward in court, maybe we need stricter regimes for jurors instead of Mike from down the pub?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby NorthBank » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:21 pm

There are other issues arising from this case too. particularly the social media witch hunt. Evans served his sentence (for a crime which he was probably innocent) and yet is denied the opportunity to pick up his life. If he was a plumber or office wonk he could have done that.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:01 pm

he wouldnt be able to pick his life back up if he was a plumber or office worker tbf

its why i'm more sympathetic towards men that have been accused of rape than i am the people doing the accusing. A rape accusation can ruine a mans life whilst well on the other side yes it could do if you were raped by someone with aids or something but it's not really likely.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby NorthBank » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Héctor24 wrote:he wouldnt be able to pick his life back up if he was a plumber or office worker tbf

its why i'm more sympathetic towards men that have been accused of rape than i am the people doing the accusing. A rape accusation can ruine a mans life whilst well on the other side yes it could do if you were raped by someone with aids or something but it's not really likely.
I think he probably would be able to get on with his life. I'm not sure where you're going with the rest of the rant.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:09 pm

NorthBank wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:he wouldnt be able to pick his life back up if he was a plumber or office worker tbf

I think he probably would be able to get on with his life. I'm not sure where you're going with the rest of the rant.

he's more likely to be able to get on with his life being semi famous than if no one really knew him. If no one knew him i doubt he'd be able to find employment, housing etc.

At least being semi famous he has a platform to set his own thing up.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Next

Return to The Big Debate