Ched Evans, rehabilitation of criminals etc

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Ched Evans, rehabilitation of criminals etc

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:08 pm

This recent issue regarding Ched Evans being released from prison has got a lot of people talking about his theoretical return to football.... should he be allowed to play pro football again etc.

Well first up lets address the reality of the situation; No club is going to offer him a contract so in his particular case, its a pointless debate.

From my personal point of view, it would be completely inappropriate for him to play football because of the role-model element to the job of being a professional footballer. Also, fans are expected to support their team. I don't know about you, but I couldn't celebrate a goal scored by a rapist.

BUT..... in a broader context....

Criminals come out of prison all the time, some of them convinced of very unpleasant crimes. What is the solution? A drug addict and burglar, for example, if not allowed to work, will clearly be at a much higher risk of doing more burglaries. All ex offenders, if they have a legal income and stable accommodation, are less likely to re-offend.

Also, do you want them to be self sustaining and paying tax, or living off benefits paid for by you?

it seems to me that the best solution, as uncomfortable as it seems, is to help them to find a job and somewhere to live and let them live their lives. Not for their benefit, but for everybody's.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Ched Evans, rehabilitation of criminals etc

Postby Apollo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:04 pm

He served his time, if he gets a football gig great for him, if he doesnt thats unfortunate for him.

If he's good enough at kicking a ball someone somewhere will pick him up.
Last edited by Apollo on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:06 pm

It's illegal for employers to hold a spent criminal conviction against you.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:It's illegal for employers to hold a spent criminal conviction against you.

A spent conviction is not the same as one for which the sentence has been served. What should an offender do for work if he is released but still has an unspent conviction? He won't be able to get work, so could be more likely to re-offend and end up straight back in jail.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Santi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Ched will get a footballing offer i'm sure.

I have no sympathy for those who can't help themselves, if they can't stay away from re-offending having been in jail before and supposedly learnt from it then they don't deserve any help and jail is where they belong. Granted it's harder to get a job but guess what, you know that when you make the original offence. I'm in favour of second chances but third and fourth just goes too far, if they don't learn the first time they never will.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Mesüt wrote:Ched will get a footballing offer i'm sure.

I have no sympathy for those who can't help themselves, if they can't stay away from re-offending having been in jail before and supposedly learnt from it then they don't deserve any help and jail is where they belong. Granted it's harder to get a job but guess what, you know that when you make the original offence. I'm in favour of second chances but third and fourth just goes too far, if they don't learn the first time they never will.

Great but you haven't explained how you would make that 'second chance' work in practice.

UFGN

Postby ClockEnd Mark » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:13 pm

UFGN wrote:This recent issue regarding Ched Evans being released from prison has got a lot of people talking about his theoretical return to football.... should he be allowed to play pro football again etc.

Well first up lets address the reality of the situation; No club is going to offer him a contract so in his particular case, its a pointless debate.

From my personal point of view, it would be completely inappropriate for him to play football because of the role-model element to the job of being a professional footballer. Also, fans are expected to support their team. I don't know about you, but I couldn't celebrate a goal scored by a rapist.

BUT..... in a broader context....

Criminals come out of prison all the time, some of them convinced of very unpleasant crimes. What is the solution? A drug addict and burglar, for example, if not allowed to work, will clearly be at a much higher risk of doing more burglaries. All ex offenders, if they have a legal income and stable accommodation, are less likely to re-offend.

Also, do you want them to be self sustaining and paying tax, or living off benefits paid for by you?

it seems to me that the best solution, as uncomfortable as it seems, is to help them to find a job and somewhere to live and let them live their lives. Not for their benefit, but for everybody's.

He`ll get a contract at the swamp. The *** army follow a rapist already :lipssealed:

Bit of a difference between a burglar and a nonce tbf.
ClockEnd Mark
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Cripps » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Lee Hughes got a club. So will this dude.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby ClockEnd Mark » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:It's illegal for employers to hold a spent criminal conviction against you.

I dont think they`ll actuall say thats the reason though,,,,but then again if i was an employer i probably would.
ClockEnd Mark
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 pm

ClockEnd Mark wrote:

I dont think they`ll actuall say thats the reason though,,,,but then again if i was an employer i probably would.

I think clubs will end up contacting him. I'd be very surprised if he didn't carry his career on.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Vinny » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:47 pm

He did his time.
This will follow him around forever but he has another chance.
Vinny
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Isn't he still denying it?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:44 pm

A rapist doesn't deserve a second chance.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Apollo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Honestly though If i had a club id give the guy a job myself, dodgey rape cases are far too frequent,and this one was stupidly suspect, feel for the guy.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:55 pm

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:A rapist doesn't deserve a second chance.

Lets be sensible here.

What do you think should be done with them once released then? Because they will almost always be released, that is a fact, and they will have living expenses.

Are you happy to pay benefits to sustain them if you don't want them to work?

UFGN

Next

Return to The Big Debate