Gay Marriage

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Kyle? wrote:So what if they love each other? They're still going to ruin their kids lives anyway. The law says they can't get married, and if the House of Lords has any sense, it'll stay that way. And supporting this viewpoint doesn't make me a bigot, it makes me sensible and old fashioned.

So you think that drug addicted, racist, fundamentalist heterosexual parents will mess up a kid's life less than a caring homosexual couple? Because according to the laws, the former can get married but the latter can't. And does this mean that you don't support gay adoption? Because you don't have to be married to adopt.

No, it makes you a bigot. You are championing inequality... you're a bigot.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri May 24, 2013 12:54 pm

JohnDuval wrote:
ThereIsBearCum wrote:
JohnDuval wrote:I don't think gay people should be allowed to get married, civil partnership fine. If that makes me a bigot, nazi, or right wing looney then fine

So you admit you're a proud bigot. Your opinion is irrelevant then.

According to you about half the population are bigots just because they don't support gay marriage

If your figure of half the population is actually true (I highly doubt it is), then yes, half the population is bigoted. Something doesn't become a tolerant point of view simply because lots of people believe it... can't believe you're even trying that argument.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Popey wrote:
Kyle? wrote:
ThereIsBearCum wrote:
Kyle? wrote:
kronickaos wrote:
Kyle? wrote:I disagree with this, just because it's a bit daft and opportunistic. A gay marriage devalues the concept of marriage in general, and whilst i have nothing against gay people, surely they should have been happy with a civil partnership, which is basically marriage in all but name anyway? Why feel the need to upset all the traditional marriages?

I keep seeing the term "devalues" used...

How does Bob and Steve or Lucy and Sara getting married reduce the worth of your marriage? Your marriage, my marriage, and anyone else's marriage is what I, YOU, and THEY make out of the marriage and there's nobody in this world that can change that based on their sexual preference.

I'm thinking of the kids here. As i'm not married, and have no intention of ever getting married (i actually like having money), i'm thinking about life if someone's parents had gone batshit crazy in this scenario. If your mother had married another woman, it would be odd, and you would likely have been bullied for it. If your dad had married another guy, same scenario, same outcome.

If same sex people get married, then it's going to mess families in general up. You try explaining to an inquisitive 8 year old why 2 men are getting married, rather than the traditional male and female.

Because they love each other. Is it really that hard?

And your first point is victim blaming. The problem is that people are bullying the kid, not that the kid has same sex parents.

So what if they love each other? They're still going to ruin their kids lives anyway. The law says they can't get married, and if the House of Lords has any sense, it'll stay that way. And supporting this viewpoint doesn't make me a bigot, it makes me sensible and old fashioned.

+1

Explain how it is sensible.
Define "old fashioned". If you mean it's like a past era, then yes, it is old fashioned. So is racism, polio, sexism and much lower life expectancy. If you want to live your life like that, be my guest, but don't drag the rest of us down with you.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 12:58 pm

UFGN wrote:Kyle wouldnt you prefer a future where people have finally got over themselves on this issue and there is no bullying because of it?

It will stop, in time. But first there must be equality under the law. For what its worth I had a mate at school whose mum was a raving lezzer and he didnt get bullied.

The only way to stop things is to ban them outright.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Fri May 24, 2013 12:58 pm

According to newsnight last night, over 70% of the population support gay marriage.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Fri May 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Kyle? wrote:
UFGN wrote:Kyle wouldnt you prefer a future where people have finally got over themselves on this issue and there is no bullying because of it?

It will stop, in time. But first there must be equality under the law. For what its worth I had a mate at school whose mum was a raving lezzer and he didnt get bullied.

Could you explain that please
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 1:01 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
Kyle? wrote:So what if they love each other? They're still going to ruin their kids lives anyway. The law says they can't get married, and if the House of Lords has any sense, it'll stay that way. And supporting this viewpoint doesn't make me a bigot, it makes me sensible and old fashioned.

So you think that drug addicted, racist, fundamentalist heterosexual parents will mess up a kid's life less than a caring homosexual couple? Because according to the laws, the former can get married but the latter can't. And does this mean that you don't support gay adoption? Because you don't have to be married to adopt.

No, it makes you a bigot. You are championing inequality... you're a bigot.

It would make you a hardier person. If you've had to deal with that, then you'll be better for it in later life. I was raised in a good environment, and because of that, i'm a wuss. If you have 2 gay parents, you'll end up making me look like a tough guy.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Maxduke » Fri May 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Why do people care so much what others do? If it makes people happy, then let them do it. Why do people not want something that let's others be happy?

I just don't get why some people care lol. Also saying it shouldn't happen because their kids will get bullied is retarded as surely it's the bullies you should stop, not the hope of them getting married. That's like saying you should terminate all ginger babies as you know they'll just get bullied for it when they're older. :lol:
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby JohnDuval » Fri May 24, 2013 1:02 pm

UFGN wrote:According to newsnight last night, over 70% of the population support gay marriage.

My bad, where I live now the percentage is probably much much less, still does that mean that 1 in 3 people in Britain are bigoted?
JohnDuval
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 1:02 pm

UFGN wrote:
Kyle? wrote:

We banned slavery and it stopped

We removed the glass ceiling, and now women are taking over the world.

If we ban gay marriage, it makes people grow up better.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri May 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Can't say I have much of an opinion on the subject specifically but I'm all for equal rights.

I would add that the concept of marriage out dates christianity or any other organised religion by a long time. So the religious angle grates me.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Kyle? wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Kyle? wrote:

We banned slavery and it stopped

We removed the glass ceiling, and now women are taking over the world.

If we ban gay marriage, it makes people grow up better.

I am actually lost for words

UFGN

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest that a lot of the posters on this thread aren't from the UK, so have a different perception of gay marriage, due to different social attitudes.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zenith » Fri May 24, 2013 1:14 pm

UFGN wrote:According to newsnight last night, over 70% of the population support gay marriage.

Read this article the other day, England is the most gay-friendly country in Europe, followed by Belgium and Norway.

% Supporting gay marriage
England 76%
Belgium 67%
Norway 66%
Sweden, Spain, Portugal 65%
Italy 19%
Bulgary 18%
Balkan ~15%
Russia 7%

Not too surprised by Italy, Balkan states and Russia. I believe it's worth mentioning that the very same countries are also known for being openly racist, anti-immigrant and radicalism in general.

(Larger map: http://i.imgur.com/ibhccLR.jpg)
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby kronickaos » Fri May 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Kyle? wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest that a lot of the posters on this thread aren't from the UK, so have a different perception of gay marriage, due to different social attitudes.

While I think that might be part of it, you views are shared by many in the midwest and southern regions in the US. It's just one of those things that people agree to disagree on. I don't think you're a dick or anything, just have different views than me :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate