Gay Marriage

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby UFGN » Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 am

[="Royal Gooner"]I'm opposed to it. I object because there is no need for it other than just tokenism as they already have the same legal rights in the civil partnership (which is already slanged up as "marriage" anyway.[/quote]

Its funny how I guessed exactly which user might pop up against this. The ultra right-wing looney.

Anyway.

Reasons are very simple. In an aparthide (sp), blacks had swimming pools, buses and hospitals, but they werent the same as white ones. They were different, and they were usually not as good.

"Marriage" is not owned by christians or anyone else. Nobody has the right to dictate to others what marriage is according to their religeous beliefs, and then use the law to try to force through their viiews. Not any more.

It will have absolutely no effect on existing or future hetrosexual marriages, and churches will not be forced to marry gay couples.

Lastly, because its simply putting to an and for ever the last major bit of legal discrimination we have in this country. To say to a gay couple, "we recognise your relationship, you can have rights, but you are not equal, your love is worth less than a streight couple's" is wrong. Simply wrong.
Last edited by UFGN on Fri May 24, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby ivan itchybum » Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am

Maxduke wrote:Like my take on pretty much everything, I don't give a shit. Let people do what they want to do, who am I or anyone else for that matter to tell others what they can and can't do with their lives.

+1000
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm

I disagree with this, just because it's a bit daft and opportunistic. A gay marriage devalues the concept of marriage in general, and whilst i have nothing against gay people, surely they should have been happy with a civil partnership, which is basically marriage in all but name anyway? Why feel the need to upset all the traditional marriages?
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby JohnDuval » Fri May 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Kyle? wrote:I disagree with this, just because it's a bit daft and opportunistic. A gay marriage devalues the concept of marriage in general, and whilst i have nothing against gay people, surely they should have been happy with a civil partnership, which is basically marriage in all but name anyway? Why feel the need to upset all the traditional marriages?

I agree. I dont believe it makes you an "ultra right wing looney" if you think this as well
JohnDuval
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Youngie » Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Kyle? wrote:I disagree with this, just because it's a bit daft and opportunistic. A gay marriage devalues the concept of marriage in general, and whilst i have nothing against gay people, surely they should have been happy with a civil partnership, which is basically marriage in all but name anyway? Why feel the need to upset all the traditional marriages?

Slavery and sexism were also "traditions" should we have kept them too.

:rolleyes:
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Le Chat wrote:

Slavery and sexism were also "traditions" should we have kept them too.

:rolleyes:

Different things entirely. Slavery is abhorrent, and thankfully we saw sense to end it, and sexism is hardly comparable.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Youngie » Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 pm

JohnDuval wrote:

I agree. I dont believe it makes you an "ultra right wing looney" if you think this as well

I hate all these right and left terms. I'll vote UKIP for some of their polices, but i am pro gay marriage. Lets not all be pigeon holed ffs.
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby kronickaos » Fri May 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I keep seeing the term "devalues" used...

How does Bob and Steve or Lucy and Sara getting married reduce the worth of your marriage? Your marriage, my marriage, and anyone else's marriage is what I, YOU, and THEY make out of the marriage and there's nobody in this world that can change that based on their sexual preference.
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 pm

So two people who love each other getting married devalues the concept of marriage, but getting a divorce 3 hours after getting married doesn't?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm

kronickaos wrote:

How does Bob and Steve or Lucy and Sara getting married reduce the worth of your marriage? Your marriage, my marriage, and anyone else's marriage is what I, YOU, and THEY make out of the marriage and there's nobody in this world that can change that based on their sexual preference.

I'm thinking of the kids here. As i'm not married, and have no intention of ever getting married (i actually like having money), i'm thinking about life if someone's parents had gone batshit crazy in this scenario. If your mother had married another woman, it would be odd, and you would likely have been bullied for it. If your dad had married another guy, same scenario, same outcome.

If same sex people get married, then it's going to mess families in general up. You try explaining to an inquisitive 8 year old why 2 men are getting married, rather than the traditional male and female.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm

JohnDuval wrote:

Thats not the only reason I called RG that. If theres any opinion to be had he will be to the right of the Daily Mail on the issue. Thatcher, UKIP, Europe, you name it.

It doesnt devalue anything. And im sorry to say it but if you cant support this, then you are "against gays" to an extent. You dont want gay people to be truely equal. This is simply putting things right at last.

Can you imagine if mixed race couples werent allowed to be married and had to instead have a "civil partnership"? Noone would stand for it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Youngie » Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zedie » Fri May 24, 2013 12:26 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:

So two people who love each other getting married devalues the concept of marriage, but getting a divorce 3 hours after getting married doesn't?

A 50% divorce rate amongst hetrosexual couples doesnt seem to back the 'devalue' argument either.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Kyle? » Fri May 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Le Chat wrote:Image

So i make a vaild point and you reply with a childish image. Really mature :dizzy:
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri May 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Kyle? wrote:
kronickaos wrote:

I'm thinking of the kids here. As i'm not married, and have no intention of ever getting married (i actually like having money), i'm thinking about life if someone's parents had gone batshit crazy in this scenario. If your mother had married another woman, it would be odd, and you would likely have been bullied for it. If your dad had married another guy, same scenario, same outcome.

If same sex people get married, then it's going to mess families in general up. You try explaining to an inquisitive 8 year old why 2 men are getting married, rather than the traditional male and female.

Because they love each other. Is it really that hard?

And your first point is victim blaming. The problem is that people are bullying the kid, not that the kid has same sex parents.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate