Gay Marriage

Debate about anything going on in the world.
Please remember everyone has their own opinion

Gay Marriage

Postby UFGN » Fri May 24, 2013 12:17 am

As this long debate nears its conclusion in the UK, with a change in the law to permit gay marriage now likely, what are your opinions? Is there anyone who is opposed to it?

For our non-british members - the UK has civil partnerships for gay couples but this is now likely to be changed to a law permitting full and equal marriage. This has basically split the currant (conservative) government in half and resulted in all sorts of problems for them....... Although general public opinion here supports gay marriage.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18780
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby kronickaos » Fri May 24, 2013 12:28 am

TBH, the only people I've met who really are against it seem to be people who are either homophobic or ultra religious.

Personally I don't care if gay people want to get married. I don't see why someones sexual preference should prohibit them from making a mistake like getting married.
kronickaos
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:08 am
Location: 'Murica

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Maxduke » Fri May 24, 2013 12:45 am

Like my take on pretty much everything, I don't give a shit. Let people do what they want to do, who am I or anyone else for that matter to tell others what they can and can't do with their lives.
Image
User avatar
Maxduke
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:35 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Youngie » Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 am

Such a big deal is being made of this. As long as it doesn't infringe on anybody let there be gay marriage. Churches shouldn't be forced to marry homosexuals if its against their beliefs, but if some churches are happy to do it, that's fine..
Youngie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5806
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm
Location: Lockies

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Leody » Fri May 24, 2013 1:19 am

Could not care less if they want to get married. Like Le Chat said, if churches don't want to do it, they shouldn't be forced to.

What I don't like about marriage in general, at least in the US, is that there are tax benefits to being married. Why should a man and a woman that are married pay less tax than two single people earning the same? That's f***ing stupid beyond belief to me.
This space used to be more fun...
User avatar
Leody
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 13300
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: Across the pond

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby UFGN » Fri May 24, 2013 1:32 am

Its a huge change in a relatively short period of time. Homosexual acts were illegal in the UK until 1967. So British gays will have gone from a prison cell to full marriage rights in under 50 years.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18780
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Swan » Fri May 24, 2013 1:45 am

Le Chat wrote:Such a big deal is being made of this. As long as it doesn't infringe on anybody let there be gay marriage. Churches shouldn't be forced to marry homosexuals if its against their beliefs, but if some churches are happy to do it, that's fine..
this really..
im from canada and it's allowed there and i dont know anyone you is hurt or affected by it in a negative way..
User avatar
Swan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: kitchener , canada

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri May 24, 2013 7:42 am

I'm opposed to it. I object because there is no need for it other than just tokenism as they already have the same legal rights in the civil partnership (which is already slanged up as "marriage" anyway.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8847
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri May 24, 2013 8:53 am

I think it's about bloody time.
I am yet to hear a single argument against it that even comes close to convincing. It seems the only people who are against it are bigots.
Our specialist in failure can f**k off
If you support this fraud and still think you're an Arsenal fan, you're wrong
User avatar
ThereIsBearCüm
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15430
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:17 pm
Location: Straya

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri May 24, 2013 9:11 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:I think it's about bloody time.
I am yet to hear a single argument against it that even comes close to convincing. It seems the only people who are against it are bigots.


And that's the problem when it comes to any debate. Supporters of homosexual "marriage" when confronted with those who support the opposing view, all they do is shout "bigot" and shut down any debate even though there are legitimate concerns such as what it will mean for the value of existing marriages, what the wording on official forms might be changed to and the fact that the rights of people to hold opposing views could be ignored and vilified just because they object.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8847
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Zedie » Fri May 24, 2013 9:33 am

kronickaos wrote:TBH, the only people I've met who really are against it seem to be people who are either homophobic or ultra religious.

Personally I don't care if gay people want to get married. I don't see why someones sexual preference should prohibit them from making a mistake like getting married.


Nailed it, just like 99% of the other posts in here.
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri May 24, 2013 9:47 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
ThereIsBearCum wrote:I think it's about bloody time.
I am yet to hear a single argument against it that even comes close to convincing. It seems the only people who are against it are bigots.


And that's the problem when it comes to any debate. Supporters of homosexual "marriage" when confronted with those who support the opposing view, all they do is shout "bigot" and shut down any debate even though there are legitimate concerns such as what it will mean for the value of existing marriages, what the wording on official forms might be changed to and the fact that the rights of people to hold opposing views could be ignored and vilified just because they object.


Ok, name one legitimate concern.
Our specialist in failure can f**k off
If you support this fraud and still think you're an Arsenal fan, you're wrong
User avatar
ThereIsBearCüm
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15430
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:17 pm
Location: Straya

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby kronickaos » Fri May 24, 2013 10:01 am

fwiw, gays getting married doesn't devalue my marriage one bit.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
kronickaos
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:08 am
Location: 'Murica

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Youngie » Fri May 24, 2013 10:12 am

kronickaos wrote:fwiw, gays getting married doesn't devalue my marriage one bit.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2


No your wife probably does on the sly though. :sneaky:
Youngie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5806
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm
Location: Lockies

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby kronickaos » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 am

Le Chat wrote:
kronickaos wrote:fwiw, gays getting married doesn't devalue my marriage one bit.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2


No your wife probably does on the sly though. :sneaky:


lol most likely

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
kronickaos
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3770
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:08 am
Location: 'Murica

Next

Return to The Big Debate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest