New UK Nuclear Power Plant

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

New UK Nuclear Power Plant

Postby Youngie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:25 am

The first of a planned new generation of nuclear power plants in the UK has been given approval. Energy Secretary Ed Davey told MPs in the Commons that he was granting planning consent for French energy giant EDF to construct Hinkley Point C in Somerset. The proposed £14bn power plant would be capable of powering five million homes.

Is the risk worth it, im not so sure :think:

LINK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21839684
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: New UK Nuclear Power Plant

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 am

If one was a NIMBY one would say; "as long as it's safely away from me, I have no problem with it."
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Youngie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 am

Royal Gooner wrote:If one was a NIMBY one would say; "as long as it's safely away from me, I have no problem with it."

We need something sustainable instead. Wind farms are not the answer and are almost a step in the wrong direction. We should take a leaf out of Iceland's book and go 100% hydroelectric. Looking at what happened with Japan recently i wouldn't want to be the one to approve nuclear power. We live on a tiny rock we don't have the space for mistakes, unlike Russia or the US. Although i suppose if we could build them far far out at sea and pipe the power back that'd be great...

Wait.... cant do that with the Argies about these days, the muppets would come try claim it for themselves.

Last edited by Youngie on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Git » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 am

Never understood why we don't go the route of hydroelectric. It's the most logical thing to do and in the long run we could probably become self sufficient on it.

Better than spending £34 billion on HS2.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Youngie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 am

Git wrote:Never understood why we don't go the route of hydroelectric. It's the most logical thing to do and in the long run we could probably become self sufficient on it.

Better than spending £34 billion on HS2.

We don't have the capacity, we have a plant half in a cave in Wales forgot its name (visited it for my dissertation) that's about it. Plus Icelands national population is less than Cardiff's so their needs are far easier to meet. If we enhanced the seas around our abundance coast we could generate 20% of our electricity from tidal power alone. Just turn them wind turbines upside down and put them in the water. The wind might stop but the sea wont.

:think:
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Git » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 am

Only 20%? That's a shame, thought it would be a bit higher. Still a huge amount though. We need to get a move on.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Youngie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Git wrote:Only 20%? That's a shame, thought it would be a bit higher. Still a huge amount though. We need to get a move on.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

We need a balanced portfolio, we cant really have nations (least of all Russia) to supply us with cheap fuel. For starters its not cheap, and they could just hold us to ransom or turn it off completely.

We need a few million of these bad boys (tesla coils) = free energy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to The Big Debate