Sony to block pre-owned games on PS4?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Sony to block pre-owned games on PS4?

Postby Trina » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Sony has patented a new disc-tagging technology which will potentially eliminate the ability to play pre-owned games on the PS4.

The technology tags discs with information such as whether the game has been played on another device, meaning it may suppress second-hand sales and purchases, reports MCV.

The patent filing argues that the development of electronic content is costly and that it is vital to distribute proceeds of sales to the studios.

It also states that authentication systems requiring constant internet access are inconvenient to the consumer, while offline measures fail to tackle the problem.

"In view of the foregoing problems described above, according to the present embodiment, a recording medium and a radiofrequency (RF) tag storing the terms of use (use condition) are included in the same packet (package) of electronic content," reads the filing.

"Proposed is an electronic content processing system where a usage mode of the electronic content is determined based on whether a reproduction entity, such as a reproduction device or user of the electronic content, fulfils the use condition or not.

"According to the present embodiment, realised is the electronic content processing system that reliably restricts the use of electronic content dealt in the second-hand markets."

Sony has previously distanced itself from a pre-owned sales block, saying that it would be "anti-consumer".

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news ... z2H1N1ZdWH
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

I hope that doesn't happen. I can see it putting a lot of people off. I mean, if Callum got a PS4, there isn't a chance I would pay forty odd quid for every game! I usually buy him pre-owned games.

Plus this would mean no borrowing games from mates etc.

Thoughts?
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Sony to block pre-owned games on PS4?

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:48 pm

I can't see how that would stand up in any court under competition laws as it would hit second-hand shops like CEX the hardest.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

It won't affect me cause I only buy the new sports games each year, but I think it's bullshit either way. I did read somewhere that the stores that sell used games aren't worried about it for some reason and that there will still be "some" way to be able to play them, just not sure how.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Way to hit your sales. I will not buy a ps4 is this is the case.

Games are more overhyped and reviews the most unreliable they have ever been. Developers are going bust or working to tough deadlines and are often forced by publishers to release in any state so long as it is on time. In other words there are many reasons why you would want to sell/trade in a game, £30 - £40 is not worth it for me for any game I am not absolutely certain about without the safety net to sell/trade.

All microsoft have to do to win the console war in the next generation is not to do the same but I reckon publishers are lobbying them as hard as they have done sony for this.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Yea, XBox is supposedly going the same route.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Git » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:03 pm

More people pirating.

Games are extortionate now this just gives even more incentive to go illegal.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Maxduke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Can't see this happening, would just be a silly move by them.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Git wrote:More people pirating.

Games are extortionate now this just gives even more incentive to go illegal.

This
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby TheArsenalPost » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:27 pm

How stupid. I'm always checking out the pre-owned stuff. I refuse to pay the prices of full price games. What a joke.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Don't see it actually happening. But if it did, that would be it for me and games consoles probably.

Around a third of my current games are pre-owned and I've usually got some CEX credit lying around. What am I supposed to do with outdated FIFA and shooter games otherwise lol? Plus I'm always swapping games with friends too.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 pm

If Sony are serious they must have compared the loss of revenue from console sales to the increase in revenue from sony game sales and found the game sales in the green. This I cannot believe though because the difference in price is staggering and also when someone does not buy a console they otherwise would have bought, every pound of sony games sales they would have spent on top of the console would have to be added too. Even if they would get a lot of games second hand there will still be a fair amount of full price new sony game sales too.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 pm

So if you break your ps4, you need to rebuy your 30 games as well as a new machine.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:So if you break your ps4, you need to rebuy your 30 games as well as a new machine.

:lol:
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:28 am

TheArsenalPost wrote:How stupid. I'm always checking out the pre-owned stuff. I refuse to pay the prices of full price games. What a joke.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 am

Its arrogance on a stunning scale to think that they will sell a console in large numbers which you are unable to buy second hand games for.

I see a huge loss on the cards. If I had shares in this lot I would sell them asap
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Next

Return to The Big Debate