Students Shot At US School

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Students Shot At US School

Postby Fordy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:08 pm

At least three people have been hurt in gunfire at a high school in the US state of Ohio, local media say.

Again this surely revives the debate on whether it should be every Americans right to bear arms. It's patently obvious that over in America too many nutters have guns and it's time the all powerful US gun lobby began to address this and US politicians did something about it rather than wring their hands. And people say we have a gun problem here in Britain. Ok maybe we have a slight problem but their hasn't been any gun massacre in this country to speak of since Dunblane in 1996 in America it's happening several times each year.
Fordy

Re: Students Shot At US School

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:11 pm

:shock: Again
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Yep, happened again. We do have a bad gun problem, with no end in site. When I was in highschool, and this was before the Columbine tragedy, we had some dude that held up a class room with a gun. I remember I was in math class, and they told us to all go into the gym, but didn't let us know why. He covered all the windows and let all guys go, and kept all the girls(pretty smart) there and the teacher. It ended without anything happening, but apparently he got the gun from his fathers closet. I think the parents should have some responsibility in this.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby insomnia » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Something has to be done for sure...

Every country has there selection of headcases but not every country is as easy to get a hold of a gun...

I'm a friend of a pupil who went to Dunblane in Scotland and it's definately left her mentally scared....
insomnia
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Pazza Inter » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:22 pm

Yeah it's horrible like something needs to be done about it and NOW!!!
Pazza Inter
Liam Brady

Postby SE13 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:38 pm

Let's face it, we are no angels here in The UK either. However, armed incidents seem to make the news headlines every single day, sadly more than ever now.

The drug culture has brought a new wave of gun crime with it, as people defend "their patch", and those who speak out against it face the barrel of a shooter.

How all this stuff gets past our so called secure borders defies belief. You bring 20 cigarettes over the limit through customs, and you are hammered. Bring two dozen firearms, and a ton of cocaine, you are waved through.

But our new "Gangland" culture defies belief! Who actually cares a stuff who your neighbour is? Personally, I wouldn't be worried if they were Muslim, German, Asian or Scottish. We are all Human at the end of the day, and I actually worry more about the unlikely invasion of Aliens than I do about segregating HUMANS.

Madness, utter madness, but all so frightening when idiots with guns can start to try to dictate how we live. And to think we laughed at Communism!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SuperDumbassman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:40 pm

It'd be hard for anything to be done. You couldn't just make everyone hand over there guns..On other forums i've been on, some Americans were that attached to their guns they said that they'd kill anyone who tried to take them..
SuperDumbassman
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby ozgooner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:26 am

The Port Arthur massacre of 28 April 1996 was a killing spree which claimed the lives of 35 people and wounded 37 others mainly at the historic Port Arthur prison colony, a popular tourist site in south-eastern Tasmania, Australia. Martin Bryant, a 28-year-old from New Town, eventually pleaded guilty to the crimes and was given 35 life sentences without possibility of parole.He is now interned in HM Prison Risdon.
Australians reacted to the event with widespread shock and horror, and the political effects were significant and long-lasting. Both federal and state governments, some of which (notably Tasmania itself and Queensland) were opposed to firearm control, quickly took action to restrict the availability of firearms. It should be noted that the Tasmanian state government initially attempted to ignore this directive, but was subsequently threatened with a number of penalties from the federal government. Though this resulted in stirring controversy, most Government opposition to the new laws was silenced by mounting public opinion in the wake of the shootings. Under federal government co-ordination all states and territories of Australia banned and heavily restricted the legal ownership and use of self-loading rifles, self-loading shotguns and pump-action shotguns, together with a considerable tightening of other gun laws. Family members of victims, notably Walter Mikac (who lost his wife and two children), spoke out in favour of the changes.

About 640,000 guns were taken in under the amnesty and buy-back scheme which operated soon after the Port Arthur massacre. Victoria was been the most successful state to call in its prohibited weapons. Before the scheme started the Victorian Firearms Registry records showed that there were about 750,000 registered guns in Victoria. About 210,000 were handed in because they became prohibited weapons. These were mainly military style rifles, semi-automatic and pump action shotguns and .22 low power rifles with 10 shot magazines. About 20% of those guns however were unregistered.

Now of course the problem couldn't be solved as easily in the USA as australia because of their massive population but australia demonstrated that big changes can be implemented and at least high powered military style rifles etc. can be mostly eliminated

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:04 am

Just waiting for a news report, but the headlines are suggesting that there has been another mass shooting overnight in America....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7038532.stm

Ohio this time.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby ozgooner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:58 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: it's a worry isn't it . the world seems to be gettin more violent by the day

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to The Big Debate