Mark Clattenburg: Chelsea make complaint against referee

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Mark Clattenburg: Chelsea make complaint against referee

Postby TheArsenalPost » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 am

Chelsea have made a formal complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg after accusing him of using "inappropriate language" to two of their players in the defeat by Manchester United.
Part of the allegation is that Clattenburg used racial language, BBC Sport has learned.
It is also understood midfielder John Mikel Obi is involved in the complaint.
"We have lodged a complaint to the Premier League match delegate," said a Chelsea spokesman.
"The match delegate will pass the complaint to the Football Association."
Play media

Referee got it wrong - Di Matteo
Referees' organisation Professional Game Match Officials (PGMO) later issued a statement which said: "PGMO is aware of the allegations and they are being treated with the utmost seriousness.
"Mark will co-operate fully and welcomes the opportunity for the facts to be established."
All four officials - the referee, his two assistants and the fourth official - wear microphones and ear pieces that allow them to hear what each other is saying throughout the match, although what is said between them is not recorded.
The news that Chelsea had made the complaint rounded off a dramatic day which saw the Blues lose their unbeaten top-flight record after Javier Hernandez struck a controversial winner 15 minutes from time.
Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres were both given red cards in the space of five minutes in United's 3-2 win, with the Spaniard's dismissal for diving disputed by Chelsea.
Torres was shown a second yellow card in the 68th minute despite appearing to be clipped by defender Jonny Evans.
Chelsea also felt aggrieved that Hernandez's winner was allowed to stand, as television replays suggested he was marginally offside before converting Rafael Da Silva's cross.
"It is a shame a game like this had to be decided in that manner by officials," said Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo.
"Surely when the referee watches it he will realise he has made big mistakes."
Durham-based Clattenburg, 37, is viewed by the PGMO as one of the country's leading officials.
He regularly referees games in European competitions and was put in charge of the League Cup final in February and the Olympic final between Brazil and Mexico in August.
In 2009, he was suspended over allegations about his business dealings but Clattenburg appealed and returned to officiating having served an eight-month ban.
In addition, Chelsea are to investigate reports that a steward was injured by objects thrown from the crowd at Stamford Bridge.
Hernandez appeared to be pelted as he celebrated scoring United's winner in front of Chelsea fans in the Matthew Harding Stand.
After that, a steward required 10 minutes of treatment before being taken to hospital.

Thoughts?
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Chelsea make complaint against referee

Postby Özilfan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:40 am

Well, Premier League refs are miked up so it should be fairly easy to resolve.
Özilfan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheArsenalPost » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:41 am

That's what I thought but we know how these racial disputes can go on.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:29 am

Gut feeling tells me it's not true. More likely Chelsea being typically classless and (understandably) furious after losing that game entirely because of the ref so they decided to tar his name in the aftermath. Also an opportunity for them to play the victim in the racism saga this time after so much bad press recently.

If that really is the case, very very misguided.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:50 am

Arshavinfan wrote:Well, Premier League refs are miked up so it should be fairly easy to resolve.

They are miked up but not recorded. The FA probably took note of the fall out after Andy Gray and Richard Keys and put a stop to that.

It will be Clattenbergs, the 4th official and linesmens word against Mikel and Mata (who was apparently called a Spanish t**t).

Theres only one way this is going to turn out and my money is on Clattenberg being elevated to assitant head of the refs association behind Howard Webb. You cant put in that sort of performance without getting some sort of recognition.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:09 pm

The FA have set a precedent for themselves. As an upholder of the law, you'd think Clattenburg would get a harsher penalty if found guilt.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ivan itchybum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 pm

f**k sake i'm sick of hearing about all this racism... it's gotten beyond a joke now, if he's found guilty he should be sacked and punished on the spot
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Spanish t**t is racist as well? I don't think half my lessons in school are legal then...
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Kyle? » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Pudpop wrote:Spanish **** is racist as well? I don't think half my lessons in school are legal then...

Well it's not strictly racism, it's Xenophobia, which is also a bad thing for a referee to do.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Kyle? wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Spanish **** is racist as well? I don't think half my lessons in school are legal then...

Well it's not strictly racism, it's Xenophobia, which is also a bad thing for a referee to do.

Xenophobia? I really don't think Xenophobia applies in this instance... But hey, I'm not going to debate this cause what constitutes as racist in 1st and 3rd world countries are often completely different.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Trequartista » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:06 pm

I dont really see how calling someone a Spanish t**t is better than calling someone a Hispanic t**t or a Black c*** for that Mata (budum-tish!). It's still behaviour unbefiting of a professional on a football pitch, especially from the ref who is supposed to be enforcing good conduct on the field of play.

Then again, if his linesmen don't corroborate the Chelsea claims then it's hard to see this going anywhere.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:38 pm

It was one of the worst overall reffing performances I have ever seen.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:55 am

Yorkyblue wrote:It was one of the worst overall reffing performances I have ever seen.

The worst.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:30 am

Gunnerfromafrica wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:It was one of the worst overall reffing performances I have ever seen.

The worst.

Who's his tits, the fatty that reffed our 4-4 with Newcastle may have been worse.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby arsenalyank » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:57 am

This should really be enough to get him sacked.

However I'm sure it will drag on and a big spectacle will be made of it. Figure it out, punish him (or not) and be done with it. Part of the problem with all this concern with racism is the difficulty with proving anything and then figuring out what constitutes appropriate punishment. If they really want to make a statement , and Clattenburg is found guilty, be done with him and people may actually take this stuff seriously.
arsenalyank
Charlie George
Charlie George

Next

Return to The Big Debate