Homeowners allowed to stab intruder. Good or bad?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Homeowners allowed to stab intruder. Good or bad?

Postby gzagee » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:54 am

In today's Metro Chris Grayling the Tory Justice Secretary is about to unveil plans that will give homeowners the right to use force in an act of self defence when their home is being burgled.
He said:
"Being confronted by an intruder in your own home is terrifying, and the public should be in no doubt the law is on their side. That is why I'm strengthening the current law. Householders who act honestly in self defence are victims of crime and should be treated that way..."
Apparently a Lord Chief Justice recently said a householder has the right to apprehend a burglar and, being shot by homeowners was a chance that burglars took.

So, in light of this impending change in the law do you agree a homeowner can use force which includes stabbing and shooting to get rid of a burglar?
Or, do you think the law could lead to unnecessary fatalities and miscarriages of justice?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Homeowners allowed to stab intruder. Good or bad?

Postby Trina » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:02 am

I'm all for it. You do anything to protect your family. Its ridiculous that if someone breaks into your house your not allowed to touch them.

Im not so sure about the guns though to defend yourself.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby TheArsenalPost » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:04 am

Depends on if the home-owner is going to have restrictions placed on WHERE they can shoot or stab. If it is just to apprehend or scare off the intruder cool. But we all know some nut job will shoot to kill. (This should only be even thought of IF the intruder is going to hurt your family.)

Personally, if someone came into my home with the intent of taking my things and hurting me or my loved ones, I wouldn't want to kill them. Just hurt them enough so they couldn't hurt me.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:30 am

These plans remind me of the case in America where a father caught a man sexually molesting his daughter in his barn, beat him and I think killed him, then called the police saying thinks he might've killed the fiend.
Someone posted it here a few months ago. Can't recall what the outcome was though :though:

Fact is its a contentious and sensitive subject.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby yosifun » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 am

I'm all for it, through I agree with TheArsenalPost about shooting to neutralize the intruder and not killing him.
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 pm

gzagee wrote:These plans remind me of the case in America where a father caught a man sexually molesting his daughter in his barn, beat him and I think killed him, then called the police saying thinks he might've killed the fiend.
Someone posted it here a few months ago. Can't recall what the outcome was though :though:

Fact is its a contentious and sensitive subject.

Yep, I think I posted it.

This is allowed over here in the US.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 pm

TheArsenalPost wrote:Depends on if the home-owner is going to have restrictions placed on WHERE they can shoot or stab. If it is just to apprehend or scare off the intruder cool. But we all know some nut job will shoot to kill. (This should only be even thought of IF the intruder is going to hurt your family.)

Personally, if someone came into my home with the intent of taking my things and hurting me or my loved ones, I wouldn't want to kill them. Just hurt them enough so they couldn't hurt me.

The problem with that though is, how do you know what the persons intent is? It ain't as if you're going to ask them 10 questions before you decide if you need to protect yourself.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GSK_AFC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Trina wrote:I'm all for it. You do anything to protect your family. Its ridiculous that if someone breaks into your house your not allowed to touch them.

Im not so sure about the guns though to defend yourself.

Totally agree.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:20 pm

The first thing i thought of was:

If someone was careful enough, wouldnt it mean that they could kill someone, take the body back to their house, smash a window/door and claim self defence?! Difficult to do but still possible.

Personally, if i woke up to a guy in my house tonight, no lack of legal backing would stop me from defending my property and family. I'd rather do bird than stand by and be intimidated in my own home or worse, have something happen to my family because i was too worried to do anything about it. tbf i probably wouldnt even think, id just do.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Yea, the average person is going to defend themselves and their family by pure instinct and the will to live, so why not have a law that protects them when they do? Makes sense to me.

It's a dog eat dog world, kill or be killed sometimes, its a harsh reality, but its life.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TheLittleMozart » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Damm right, if someone broke into my house with the intent of stealing my stuff/posisbly hurting me then I should have the right to kick the living shit out of that idiot becuase chances are if I simply tried to stop or restarain them in a 'lawful' manner, they easily wouldnt think twice about stabbing/seriously injuring me.

People who do these types of things are scum and deserve anything they get.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby TheArsenalPost » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:16 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
TheArsenalPost wrote:Depends on if the home-owner is going to have restrictions placed on WHERE they can shoot or stab. If it is just to apprehend or scare off the intruder cool. But we all know some nut job will shoot to kill. (This should only be even thought of IF the intruder is going to hurt your family.)

The problem with that though is, how do you know what the persons intent is? It ain't as if you're going to ask them 10 questions before you decide if you need to protect yourself.

I agree to, but intent will SOMETIMES be clear. If they walk in with a weapon or if they don't. You wouldn't just go charging at them without knowing would you?

One problem I see is if you home owner goes to attack the intruder and gets hurt by their own weapon in the process...
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm

TheArsenalPost wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

I agree to, but intent will SOMETIMES be clear. If they walk in with a weapon or if they don't. You wouldn't just go charging at them without knowing would you?

One problem I see is if you home owner goes to attack the intruder and gets hurt by their own weapon in the process...

Actually yes, I would attack and charge as soon as I had the opportunity. I'm not going to wait for him to make the first move. At that point, you do whatever you can to survive, whether they have a weapon or not, you don't wait for them to take it out and then decide, by that time it could be too late.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Diaby24AFC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Diaby24AFC
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby TheArsenalPost » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:43 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
TheArsenalPost wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Actually yes, I would attack and charge as soon as I had the opportunity. I'm not going to wait for him to make the first move. At that point, you do whatever you can to survive, whether they have a weapon or not, you don't wait for them to take it out and then decide, by that time it could be too late.

I totally understand that. I'm just saying I have heard many cases of gang fights where someone just ran in and they were killed instantly.I agree that you must act, but you must do it so you don't endanger yourself more.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to The Big Debate