Should the veil be banned in the UK?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Should the veil be banned in the UK?

Postby Cheese » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:47 am

On The Jon Gaunt Show on talkSPORTS this morning the debate is about muslim veils, should they be banned in the UK?

I think they should because it's not anything to do with religion, why should somebody be alowed to cover up like that, if i went into a shop with a crash helmet on would i be alowed to walk around with it on? No!

Im not against religion, im not asking for turbans to be banned because thats an important part of a religion.

so what do you think?
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Should the veil be banned in the UK?

Postby CLS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:55 am

100% yes
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SuperDumbassman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:31 am

The veils don't seem to be harming anyone.
SuperDumbassman
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby chrisbishop69 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:04 am

i h8 them u cant talk to ppl with them on
Chris is Cool
chrisbishop69
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:27 am

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:I think they should because it's not anything to do with religion

i though it was :? dunno tho

i dont want to sound racist here, but isnt it the case that sometimes when western women go to these muslim countries they are told to cover up?(or ive seen something like that on tv anyway)

why should western non-muslim women have to change their appearance in their countries, if they dont change their appearance in ours?
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby hopelessrom_grl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:44 am

I don't know about the UK.....but muslim veils are encourage for muslim women here in malaysia......although I don't think I see the reason to wear them....cuz it's so hot here and the veils made it hotter

I say, 'Thank goodness I'm not a muslim'......cuz muslim girls MUST wear the veil in school

I'm not racist though
hopelessrom_grl
Michael Thomas

Postby Cheese » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:25 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:
All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:I think they should because it's not anything to do with religion

i dont want to sound racist here, but isnt it the case that sometimes when western women go to these muslim countries they are told to cover up?(or ive seen something like that on tv anyway)

why should western non-muslim women have to change their appearance in their countries, if they dont change their appearance in ours?

Veils are not to do with a religion.

As for what you said about when western women go to muslim countries they have to respect there beliefs whereas over here we seem to be having to accomodate for other religions, (which i don't have a problem with). at my college you can't go down the hallway to my class room at a certain time during the day because there is a prey room where muslims are preying, things like that i don't think is right but i am not going in that because its a whole other subject.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:30 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:
absolutely_fabregas wrote:

Veils are not to do with a religion.

As for what you said about when western women go to muslim countries they have to respect there beliefs whereas over here we seem to be having to accomodate for other religions, (which i don't have a problem with). at my college you can't go down the hallway to my class room at a certain time during the day because there is a prey room where muslims are preying, things like that i don't think is right but i am not going in that because its a whole other subject.

Welcome to the USA guys, that sh*t goes on everyday here. People have invaded our country and a lot of them illegally and asked us to change our ways so as not to offend them. I'm not religious at all, but we have taken religion out of our schools, businesses and everything in order to not offend people that moved here but were not born here. We pay more taxes because illegal immigrants exploit our system, they come over here and then ask for assistance in living which makes the legal US citizen pay more taxes. They are even trying to change the language in some states from English to Spanish. It's f*cking unbelievable. I'm all for any race, religion, sex, whatever coming and enjoying life in the USA, but please don't expect us to change for you so as to not hurt your feelings or your religion. I think it was last year in Seattle, Wa, that someone complained about a christmas tree and a nativity seen of mother mary and baby Jesus, they complained that it wasn't part of their religion and that they don't celebrate Christmas, so they asked the city to take it down and they did. :shock:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:52 pm

I do not think they should be banned in this country. We have the freedom to wear what we want in this country and if someone wants to wear a veil then i see no reason why not.

The wearing of a veil is a religious decision for many because it is believed that those who cover themselves will be further rewarded because they are emulating the wives of mohammed. Some do it because they are told to and some do it in protest to western dress. It is not a religious necessity although some Islamic countries militantly enforce it whilst others (such as morocco where i visited this year) let the women choose their dress.

In the uk we tolerate all religions along with a persons freedom of expression. A muslim women does not have to wear them but if she chooses to i cannot see why it should be of any problem to anyone else, let alone being banned.

absolutely fabregas wrote:why should western non-muslim women have to change their appearance in their countries, if they dont change their appearance in ours?

Because that is their culture, we have freedom to dress as we want over here, it is not the case in many countries.

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Veils are not to do with a religion

Yes the wearing of the veil does have religious significance as i mentioned above, it is also mentioned in the Koran and the Hadith. At the end of the day if it is not a matter of religion then why is it only militantly enforced in conservative muslim countries, surely that is not just a coincidence?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Git » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:01 pm

No. Despite current PC culture you should have the freedom to dress the way you like and express whatever views you have.

There are certain cases where you, I believe, if asked you should take it off, for example at airport security checks - there have been cases of men dressing up in those to escape.

People may argue that when we go to Muslim countries it is requested that women wear the veil, and so if we stick to their culture they should stick to ours. Two different countries, two different views, simple as.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby SE13 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:00 pm

That's what makes Britain great! We have something called freedom, which just is not allowed in certain places. If I want to dress up in high heels and a mini skirt and call myself Mandy, no legislation is there to stop it. However, in certain Countries, you have not even got the right of free speech.

The veil is part of the religion, but not complulsary as far as I am aware.

All that said, if you were to take a trip to where I live, you will see next to no people who are not white, and virtually no religious dress, apart from tourists. We have a population in Lincoln of about 5,000 Polish immigrants out of roughly 100,000, and Boston has the highest Portugese community outside of Portugal, but aside from that you simply don't see religion and/or colour being an issue, mainly because no-one has ever heard of Lincoln/Lincolnshire, nor knows where to find it on a map!!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fordy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:15 pm

i do agree people should be able to do what they want its part of what makes us grate but i do disagree when peple want to change our ways lie st george day we are not supose to put flags up ect
Fordy

Postby Windass10 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:17 pm

I am muslim and pray from time to time anyway I'll reply to my best on this thread.
Veil isnt compulsary to wear its just a extra blessing. But the Hijab is a must aka headscarf islamcally a woman should cover her head in islam and thats a blessing and a must, as for the veil its just a extra blessing if you wear it and thats why some people do and some dont its normal.
Aslong whenever i settle down and my wife covers her head then I would be happy regardless, at the moment am seeing an English girl who is a convert to Islam but its early days guys lol.
Anyway I hope that clears up any confusion for you.
Windass10

Postby REG » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Yes they should
I know from experience on prison vists that they do not get searched unlike everyone else so why the difference????? The veil simply as we know
This is England but i sometimes look to see that London have different effic groups so with more & more of them coming over they will piss more people off so sooner or later it will become illegal (hopefulley anyways)
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Anyone remember the London bommer who escaped the country in a veil? Surely thats a good enough reason?
how comes if you wear a veil they don't check your passport just not to offened anyone? seems stupid to me.
Also my stepfather works in the police in a certain area in London and he has told me that alot of known terriorest wear veils to hide themselfs.
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to The Big Debate