Do you think Mitt Romney will be the new US President?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Do you think Mitt Romney will be the new US President?

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 pm

TartanRaven wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:The man is mentally retarded from what I hear...

The mentally retarded do not find themselves in line to lead a global superpower. Where did you hear this, and is that source reputable, or just some tw*t gobbing off at the local?

:scratch:

Bush not ring any bells? I've seen more intelligent window lickers.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:15 pm

As much as people like to hate Bush, the man did graduate from Yale. He isn't an idiot, you just don't agree with what he does.

Nor do I. And nor to I agree with Obama, and he's a Harvard grad, you don't see me calling him an idiot.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Est83 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:23 pm

We've got Boris Johnson! :thumbsup:

... maybe they just lack the skills to be infront of a camera?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Zedie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 am

Leody wrote:As much as people like to hate Bush, the man did graduate from Yale. He isn't an idiot, you just don't agree with what he does.

Nor do I. And nor to I agree with Obama, and he's a Harvard grad, you don't see me calling him an idiot.

This is defo speculation on my part, but bush having graduated from Yale still doesn't fill me with confidence regarding his intelligence levels.

The old boy network is ingrained in places like Yale / Harvard / eton / Oxbridge etc, given his dad was a former US president, I'm sure he could have had 'help' graduating....

Same with boris.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby jgaugust » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 pm

As a particularly politically active American, barring any sort of major international incident (yes, it would need to be far worse than Libya) or complete economic collapse as a result of QE3 (won't happen. QE is a smart economic policy and finally the Fed is doing it in the right fashion after completely botching QE2), Obama will be re-elected. I couldn't be happier.

Not only is it likely that he will be re-elected, but the Dems will gain about 10-15 House seats. The Senate is far trickier to predict at this point, but it actually wouldn't surprise me if we took seats in Indiana, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Nevada, and Arizona. The fact that an incumbent GOP senator in Tennessee is having major reelection issues tells us all we need to know about the current state of the Republican party.

Also, Jay, I don't want to start a flame war, but anyone who actually supports Ron Paul is completely mindless regarding how our Constitution has developed since this nation's conception. Trying to abolish things like the Fed, DOE, EPA, and other major federal organizations is absolutely beyond the pale.

Admittedly, I'm not exactly sure how much of US politics gets covered in truly great detail in the UK, but in actuality Obama has done a tremendous amount in his 4 years (most of it in his first 2 when we had control of both Congressional houses). In 2010 when the Tea Party rose up and somehow elected numerous unqualified Congressmen, there has been absolute intransigence in Congress. It's kinda hard to get policies passed when one party openly declared two years ago that its primary mission was to get the President un-elected in 2012, no? I mean, for f**k's sake, the Senate GOP on Wednesday stalled a bill that would have allowed US veterans to get more job training and access to both private and public sector jobs in police, fire, and EMS services.

I could go on and explain why classical economics is a joke of a theory (and hence why any form of Conservative economic theory is patently insane except in the most ideal of capitalistic societies where those with more money actually reinvest in their companies and persons, which is obviously not the case today), but I think that there has been enough explanation of this point by recent Nobel Prize winners in the field. I am willing to debate anyone on this point here, should they want to. I do actually enjoy such conversations.

Anyways, bottom line: Obama will be re-elected (likely with an electoral vote score of around 310-320), the Dems will gain more in the House, and likely retain Senate control.
jgaugust
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jgaugust » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Zedie wrote:
Leody wrote:As much as people like to hate Bush, the man did graduate from Yale. He isn't an idiot, you just don't agree with what he does.

This is defo speculation on my part, but bush having graduated from Yale still doesn't fill me with confidence regarding his intelligence levels.

The old boy network is ingrained in places like Yale / Harvard / eton / Oxbridge etc, given his dad was a former US president, I'm sure he could have had 'help' graduating....

Same with boris.

As an Ivy graduate, I can tell you that not everyone who goes to these schools is intelligent. There are many brilliant folks on these campuses, but there are a fair number of students who have absolutely no business being there. It is crucial to look at how these students did while there (Bush's grades were atrocious) to figure out how intelligent they are. As we used to say at my school, "It's hard to get an A, but it's also hard to get a C."
jgaugust
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Previous

Return to The Big Debate