WW3

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

WW3

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm

The world political stage is always full of strong rhetoric and grandstanding threats but for the most part it is all hot air and bravado, often just to look good to certain groups or to distract.

However the way things are going I can't help but wondering if we are entering the kind of period we were in before WW1 where 2 vast forces form up against eachother, this time being NATO vs BRICS (or something close to it, probably take out India and put in Iran and NK).

We have Israel vs Iran which looks like it is going down and Israel are doing everything they can to get the USA to join which will widen the conflict dramatically. You have NATO in and around the middle east, actively fighting and fighting by proxy as well.

You have China and Japan on the verge of conflict, Japanese embassies stormed and Japanese production shutting down in China while generals prepare to get ready. Could all be distraction for the Chinese public leading up to the change of government or it could be a serious chance to get the natural gas on the disputed island and the chance to get one over Japan who are still hurting from the tsunami and Fukushima. If WW3 is coming then these 2 will be against each other anyway so China could just be acting early.

Russia just let North Korea off of $11 billion of debt which is equal to half of their entire GDP which is phenomenal, heaven knows what deal was struck to get that and further indication of alliances being formed.

Fighting has also broke out again between India and Pakistan in Kashmir and the Turkish army is about as ready as it has ever been with a new missile system about to be rolled out for production.

Then we have maybe the most important factor of all, a looming economic crisis of historic proportions, any side could go first and then it will take down the others. Debts will need to be paid that cannot be paid, production and employment will take a horrendous downturn, a situation a great war can rectify, for the winners anyway, unless we are stupid enough to leave nothing left.

What are the take of our members over all the things happening politically over the last couple of years, especially over the last 6 months. Is it still all empty threats and scaremongering with nothing big happening due to MAD deterrent or the global economic link deterrent or are we walking into dangerous territory where a devastating conflict of considerable scale could arise?

If so then what could be the Franz Ferdinand moment?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WW3

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Compared to WW2 and WW1 before it, i can't help but compare the worlds current conflicts to "A bit of handbags" in comparison.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Compared to WW2 and WW1 before it, i can't help but compare the worlds current conflicts to "A bit of handbags" in comparison.

Fair enough WW2 but WW1 was "handbags" that got out of hand very quickly.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Would be kinda interesting to see how normal people on each side react if full scale war broke out. The world is a much smaller place than 70 years ago and we have seen in minor conflicts how the internet has played a huge role in things. Would it helps bring people together and realise the governments are the problem or would it just make things worse?
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:40 pm

If it ever does kick off I think it'll be curtains. Too many sides with nuclear weapons for everyone to avoid using them.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Its because of Nuclear weapons that there is a very slim chance of anyone other than extremists countries using them.

Of the 5 major nuclear powers only one would maybe be perceived as a threat to the rest of the world has the capacity to do real damage and even they are not stupid enough to even attempt it.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Would be kinda interesting to see how normal people on each side react if full scale war broke out. The world is a much smaller place than 70 years ago and we have seen in minor conflicts how the internet has played a huge role in things. Would it helps bring people together and realise the governments are the problem or would it just make things worse?

I have always wondered about that and come to the same conclusion, old school war propaganda would not work in the modern internet age. There are lots of professional shills all over the net though so I reckon they would have a good go at getting the message out.

The real issue in terms of making it worse it civilian to civilian communication which could breed more hatred as emotions run high. In the past it was only a guess what the enemy civvy is thinking and feeling.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zedie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:15 pm

Meh. Proper WW3 would be over before we knew it. If someone pushes the button, everyone's pushing the button and everyones f***ked either immediatly or in the longterm with radioactive dust clouds etc. people are still being affected by the Chernobyl fallout and that was in the 80s.

If it were a ground war, shit would escalate quickly. Look at the London riots, that spread v quickly and the realisation that there were only so many thousands of plod for a population of 12m and they had to bring squads in from all over the gaff.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:30 pm

The internet strikes back, we don't want your conflict.

If it does happen I don't think it will be nukes straight away, just a lot of restraint until one side looks in real trouble.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to The Big Debate