UK young to do 3 months free work or lose benefits

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: UK young to do 3 months free work or lose benefits

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 am

dunkdafunk wrote:Surely any job is better than waking up at noon, watching some jeremy kyle and waiting till the job center opens.

If there are not enough jobs for young people, then what do these polish/ eastern European immigrants do every day?
Maybe us young school leavers need to accept that were not gonna get a management/ office job right away, maybe we need to do a few years hard graft first?
Like in pub/night clubs, cleaning jobs.
There is plenty of jobs around, british youth just need to put a little more effort in to getting a job. If that means they need to work 3 months for free first then that is what they should do.
I was made redundant last year. Next day I got up early went around town looking at notices windows. I wrote different CVs depending on the sort of business it was, highlighting different skills that would be better for different industries, handed in 20 - 30 CVs the next day, even to some places that were not advertising. Dressed smartly (not in my scruffy/ footy gear) clean shaven.
Made sure that I try to talk to a manager when I hand it in. Told them when I would be available.
End of week I had 3 interviews, 2 job offers.
Ok they were paying less than my last job, but, its better than waitng for the government to solve the problem for me.

This is true of anyone who actually wants to work.

And seeing as i have completely missed it, just how the f**k is this "free" work? Your getting paid £60 a f***ing week, its peanuts, but at least you can say you've earned it, and surely the prospect of leading to a full time job outweighs what your getting?

Like i said, any young person looking for a job would jump at this opportunity, at the very least you will come out of it with basic skills that employers look for i.e. Experience.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Git » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:38 am

I don't think we will ever agree on this, PG, I have seen far too many people, relatives and friends just give up and live off of the government.

It says in the article social enterprises and charities, so I would hope it would not be at anyones expense, rather companies that use volunteers, e.g. Age Concern, BHF.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
Git wrote:/thread

Tell that to the road sweeper who had been doing the job for 20 odd years, has just been made redundant and now has to watch a kid do his/her job for free.

Its not like that PG, these kids are not being brought in at the expense of workers they are being brought in in addition to them.

Nobody who loses their job by being made redundant is going to have their job taken, seeing as when you are made redundant your role is often made redundant, hence the term.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:49 am

dunkdafunk wrote:Surely any job is better than waking up at noon, watching some jeremy kyle and waiting till the job center opens.

If there are not enough jobs for young people, then what do these polish/ eastern European immigrants do every day?

There's issues where immigrats are being hired by people from their own county here and they aren't giving UK citizens a chance.

So Polish people are hiring other polish people only, bulgarians only hiirng bulgarinas, and usually just importing then from the country here specifically to work in that area.

One thing i give to these immigrants they aren't afraid to work sweeping the street and do some very lowly paid jobs UK citizens won't touch.

Maybe us young school leavers need to accept that were not gonna get a management/ office job right away, maybe we need to do a few years hard graft first?
Like in pub/night clubs, cleaning jobs.
There is plenty of jobs around, british youth just need to put a little more effort in to getting a job. If that means they need to work 3 months for free first then that is what they should do.

There's two sides to this.

People should have ambition to make something of their lives and not sit down and let the government label them as a lazy sod who just sits on job seekers. yes, playing Call of Duty all day will get you nowhere, and no you are not entitled to a to a top job

However, there are many who are working very hard to find work but can't, there's simply not enough jobs to go round. Companies simply do not trust young people, even for internships these days, they want results, they won't take chances on young people with little experience, it's no different to football, premier league teams not giving young players a chance because they fear for their survival as their priority.

The elite are dicking us about. We must all stand together to kick them out.

I was made redundant last year. Next day I got up early went around town looking at notices windows. I wrote different CVs depending on the sort of business it was, highlighting different skills that would be better for different industries, handed in 20 - 30 CVs the next day, even to some places that were not advertising. Dressed smartly (not in my scruffy/ footy gear) clean shaven.
Made sure that I try to talk to a manager when I hand it in. Told them when I would be available.
End of week I had 3 interviews, 2 job offers.

Ok they were paying less than my last job, but, its better than waitng for the government to solve the problem for me.

For what Jobs though? How old are you, how much experience do you have, you say you where made redundant, so i can safely assume you been working for a long period of time, you experience can easily land you a job, compared that to young people who have been working at the most part time in retail, and in full time education. Employers just aren't going to touch them.

Even in 2007, it wasn't as dire as it is now, I got a call centre job by accident, i called them back because they left a message on my phone and then they literally gave me the job there and then.

That doesn't happen now. That used to be widely available for many people. It gave young people experience, kids aren't even getting that now.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 am

GunnGunn wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:

Tell that to the road sweeper who had been doing the job for 20 odd years, has just been made redundant and now has to watch a kid do his/her job for free.

Its not like that PG, these kids are not being brought in at the expense of workers they are being brought in in addition to them.

Nobody who loses their job by being made redundant is going to have their job taken, seeing as when you are made redundant your role is often made redundant, hence the term.

The redundancies have already been made!

There are plenty of jobs which have gone and the road sweeping/gardening type council jobs which have recently been cut are exactly the type of jobs that Cameron intends to have kids do for nothing.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:18 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:

There are plenty of jobs which have gone and the road sweeping/gardening type council jobs which have recently been cut are exactly the type of jobs that Cameron intends to have kids do for nothing.

I don't see how that would work. If the kids do it they're only doing it for 3 months so what happens when the 3 months is over?
They get another kid and another kid? No-one will be there long enough to get to know the job properly and the time and cost of all that paperwork and recruiting will be counter-productive. Total chaos.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:22 am

GunnGunn wrote:And it all comes around to a conspiracy theory again.

A conspiracy is simply a group of people getting toghether in secret to plan something.

Nothing more, happens everywhere, all the time, no all conspiracies are evil, a conspiracy can be anything.

I have no doubt the government is corrupt to the core but some of the stuff you peddle is a bit extreme.

because the corruption is very extreme, what do you expect me to say really?

At the end of the day, we are in a double dip recession and there are not a lot of jobs going around, which means you need to be an opportunist and take what you can get.

You speak about students leaving Uni with degrees and having to go into retail, there is a very good reason for that and that is the rise in what i like to call "Throw away degree's".

Bullshit like sociology, art and design

Woah, woah woah, hold your horses,

Design bullshit?

Wow.

The laptop your working on, someone designed that, the room we are typing our posts in, someone designed that, the horse, the archeteture, which is very much in the category of art and design, the city we live in, people designed that!

I'm a designer, we make things for people, again it's tough, since the elite don't want people like me who think too much, they don't want new inventions which threaten their business, they want conformists who will die for money and will make them things they want, not things which can actually help people.

What clothes would we wear without fashion designers?

What products would we use without product and furniture designers?

What rooms would we live in without interior designers?

What buildings will we live in without architects?

Design is everything, all the society today, everything has been designed.

Nothing is possible without design.

and the various other nonsense like that. The next biggest problem are the clowns that finished school with several hundred A* GCSE's, then went and done a few dozen A-Levels, and finally got a masters in flipping burgers, they come out with all the bells and whistles, qualified to the hilt, and they simply do not know how to incorporate that exam knowledge into real, everyday work - This is one of the biggest problems.

That's because of the education system itself, people naively believe that just earn you grades and you will be set, if your in a private school, or Oxford, Cambridge uni maybe, if your doing a niche course such as 'Travel host' like my friend maybe, (although that's a very rigid career path).

The world doesn't work that way, there are many who are brilliant in school but just cannot handle the stress of the workplace. I've always been a good worker, I kept a call center job for 9 months on for two spells, a job where most quit after a week, a cut throat job, in which you don't get you results your fired after 3 bad 3 hour shifts, I've been doing labouring jobs, i work hard there, that's just me though. Others aren't brought up with that level of stability.

Why is the education system so far out of touch with the real world. this should show from my point about getting an internship because of my own photoshop skills rather than my useless degree.

University in truth is responsible learning, you have to learn for yourself and it's all up to the individual to get the most out of it, the lecturers and system just give you assignments, I've learned a lot from uni because I choose to learn, others just had a school mentality and passed but didn't learn shit, which is an issue.

At the end of the day Elk, this ain't about putting it to "The man" or rebelling against the system, this is about getting young people to earn their keep in this country.

At the end of the day if we all realized there are 50+ million of us people in this nation, and there's no more than around 200 elites playing us about, we would kick these elites but and then have a fair society for all. No debt nonsense, no money issues, no fear, no stress and great society for us all.

The situation is our fault, it's my fault, your fault, everyones faults, for allowing these people to control us, they control us by fear, with force, the police, justice system, which again is ridiculous since these people within the law and army are the people of this nation, again being d*cked about by elites at the top.

And i'm not being funny but most people out there on benefits who is looking for a job will gladly take an opportunity like this to work in the hope they build up some real working skills that they can put on their CV's. This isn't about "Slave labour" and anyone who cries that should be f***ing sparked out.

This will weed out the people who want to go to work and the people that think they can doss about all day collecting their money.

All the money they will receive for their work will go to them simply turning up to the charity or social enterprise with travel costs expensies, some of these people on job seekers have no family, or live in a single parent household mum or dad, some of them have to put food on the table, thats not easy, not ever job seeker is a layabout, some of them have little to nothing.

Oh and lastly, considering how much you hate the media and its lies, i'd like to inform you that work placements are nothing new, the Job Centre has been putting people on 6 week work placements for years, and considering i know of people who have had 6 week work placements and gotten a decent job at the end of it, i don't think this is a bad idea.

Its not slave labour, its not a tory government "putting its foot down" and its not the ideology of a corrupt system.

Its the result of too many people leaving school nowadays with false ideals thinking they can pop out a couple of kids and live a life of luxury on benefits. It needs to be stamped out.

For the record, you are probably older than me, i've been there and got the t-shirt so i know what i am talking about.

:shock:

older than me,

I'm 22!

I've just left uni!

Wow, what, do you think i was 50 or something? You remind of my dad in a way, you don't try to necessarily understand others, just set in your own way and see life as it is only from your stand point.

He like my mum admits they are set in their ways.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby dunkdafunk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:22 am

still I dont think the NEETs should get benefits as a right, for nothing, they should have to atleast do some hours work on their CV, and trying to develop skills, and they can develop skills by helping out volunteers. This will also build themselve a network of contacts, which is essential when looking for employment.
Its not what you know but who you know.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:22 am

Inchpractice wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:

I don't see how that would work. If the kids do it they're only doing it for 3 months so what happens when the 3 months is over?
They get another kid and another kid? No-one will be there long enough to get to know the job properly and the time and cost of all that paperwork and recruiting will be counter-productive. Total chaos.

Don't tell me, tell Cameron :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 am

Nobody should be made to work.

At the same time though, you shouldn't be able to claim for not working unless you have worked before and put the tax in the pot!

Tax from work should go towards your own personal pension. If you are out of work, you can dig into this in a similar way to jobseekers allowance.

Sounds good in my head but I don't know much about this shit to know if that could ever work.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:37 am

elkanofan wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:And it all comes around to a conspiracy theory again.

A conspiracy is simply a group of people getting toghether in secret to plan something.

Nothing more, happens everywhere, all the time, no all conspiracies are evil, a conspiracy can be anything.

I have no doubt the government is corrupt to the core but some of the stuff you peddle is a bit extreme.

because the corruption is very extreme, what do you expect me to say really?

At the end of the day, we are in a double dip recession and there are not a lot of jobs going around, which means you need to be an opportunist and take what you can get.

You speak about students leaving Uni with degrees and having to go into retail, there is a very good reason for that and that is the rise in what i like to call "Throw away degree's".

Bullshit like sociology, art and design

Woah, woah woah, hold your horses,

Design bullshit?

Wow.

The laptop your working on, someone designed that, the room we are typing our posts in, someone designed that, the horse, the archeteture, which is very much in the category of art and design, the city we live in, people designed that!

I'm a designer, we make things for people, again it's tough, since the elite don't want people like me who think too much, they don't want new inventions which threaten their business, they want conformists who will die for money and will make them things they want, not things which can actually help people.

What clothes would we wear without fashion designers?

What products would we use without product and furniture designers?

What rooms would we live in without interior designers?

What buildings will we live in without architects?

Design is everything, all the society today, everything has been designed.

Nothing is possible without design.

and the various other nonsense like that. The next biggest problem are the clowns that finished school with several hundred A* GCSE's, then went and done a few dozen A-Levels, and finally got a masters in flipping burgers, they come out with all the bells and whistles, qualified to the hilt, and they simply do not know how to incorporate that exam knowledge into real, everyday work - This is one of the biggest problems.

That's because of the education system itself, people naively believe that just earn you grades and you will be set, if your in a private school, or Oxford, Cambridge uni maybe, if your doing a niche course such as 'Travel host' like my friend maybe, (although that's a very rigid career path).

The world doesn't work that way, there are many who are brilliant in school but just cannot handle the stress of the workplace. I've always been a good worker, I kept a call center job for 9 months on for two spells, a job where most quit after a week, a cut throat job, in which you don't get you results your fired after 3 bad 3 hour shifts, I've been doing labouring jobs, i work hard there, that's just me though. Others aren't brought up with that level of stability.

Why is the education system so far out of touch with the real world. this should show from my point about getting an internship because of my own photoshop skills rather than my useless degree.

University in truth is responsible learning, you have to learn for yourself and it's all up to the individual to get the most out of it, the lecturers and system just give you assignments, I've learned a lot from uni because I choose to learn, others just had a school mentality and passed but didn't learn shit, which is an issue.

At the end of the day Elk, this ain't about putting it to "The man" or rebelling against the system, this is about getting young people to earn their keep in this country.

At the end of the day if we all realized there are 50+ million of us people in this nation, and there's no more than around 200 elites playing us about, we would kick these elites but and then have a fair society for all. No debt nonsense, no money issues, no fear, no stress and great society for us all.

The situation is our fault, it's my fault, your fault, everyones faults, for allowing these people to control us, they control us by fear, with force, the police, justice system, which again is ridiculous since these people within the law and army are the people of this nation, again being d*cked about by elites at the top.

And i'm not being funny but most people out there on benefits who is looking for a job will gladly take an opportunity like this to work in the hope they build up some real working skills that they can put on their CV's. This isn't about "Slave labour" and anyone who cries that should be f***ing sparked out.

This will weed out the people who want to go to work and the people that think they can doss about all day collecting their money.

All the money they will receive for their work will go to them simply turning up to the charity or social enterprise with travel costs expensies, some of these people on job seekers have no family, or live in a single parent household mum or dad, some of them have to put food on the table, thats not easy, not ever job seeker is a layabout, some of them have little to nothing.

Oh and lastly, considering how much you hate the media and its lies, i'd like to inform you that work placements are nothing new, the Job Centre has been putting people on 6 week work placements for years, and considering i know of people who have had 6 week work placements and gotten a decent job at the end of it, i don't think this is a bad idea.

Its not slave labour, its not a tory government "putting its foot down" and its not the ideology of a corrupt system.

Its the result of too many people leaving school nowadays with false ideals thinking they can pop out a couple of kids and live a life of luxury on benefits. It needs to be stamped out.

For the record, you are probably older than me, i've been there and got the t-shirt so i know what i am talking about.

:shock:

older than me,

I'm 22!

I've just left uni!

Wow, what, do you think i was 50 or something? You remind of my dad in a way, you don't try to necessarily understand others, just set in your own way and see life as it is only from your stand point.

He like my mum admits they are set in their ways.

I'm not talking about proper design, thats an engineering aspect, i'm talking the design that goes hand in hand with bullshit like art.

And no mate, i'm not set in my ways, i am 22 as well, and have experienced first hand what this thread is about.

And is this thread really about understanding? I understand that there are far too many kids on the dole who are happy to be on the dole, this needs changing swiftly.

I'll be honest, i couldn't really give two shits about this thread or its content, i am only out for me and those closest to me and i don't really care about the government or anyone else and i don't listen to the government or the media, such as you would like to believe i do.

I do know however that when i left college and i had to sign to sign on, i personally would have jumped at the opportunity to work for what i was being given, luckily, i wasn't on it long enough.

For the record, its not my fault we're in this situation, and i don't fear anyone, let alone the government, and i don't allow fear to be instilled in me by the f***ing media, if you allow yourself to be ruled by it, you don't deserve the same air i breath.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 am

Lazy people are not ever going to be looked on in a good way.

Forcing them to work is not solving the problem, that is problem, reaction, solution! This may work in the short term but hard, honest working people who are looking for work and can't find it will be forced to work also.

We can change every 'lazy' child on benefits to be hardworking, but the fact is there will STILL not be enough jibs for everyone! Which is the MAIN point!

If we are to 'stop' lazy people for having a 'free' ride we need to get to source of the issue which is very simple.

kick the elites out. If we don't like lazy people, kick the source which creates them out.

No child is born lazy.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 am

I'll be honest, i couldn't really give two shits about this thread or its content, i am only out for me and those closest to me and i don't really care about the government or anyone else and i don't listen to the government or the media, such as you would like to believe i do.]

I'm a very strong believe in that help yourself is done by helping others.

Like I said about design, like around your room right now! How many things have been made for you to use by others? this is what I mean, I say the same thing about the human body, how many cells work together so you can live.

Looking out for number 1, it's good in the short term, feels good, idealism will 'always' make sense which is why idealism is so dangerous. But it will only leave you with the feeling of an 'anti-climax'.

Helping others, feeling empathy will make your life easier, understanding outers, doesn't mater if you agree or disagree, understanding creates harmony in the mind, people tend to fear what they don't understand.
Last edited by elkanofan on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 am

I don't look out for number 1, i look out for me and those closest to me. At work i'll help anyone who needs it. And i will help anyone who deserves it regardless.

Most people don't deserve it however.

No feeling of "anti-climax" here. And for the most part, i do understand, i just don't really care, i feel genuine empathy in some situations and thats it. If you lived my life in my shoes, you would feel the same way. In fact if anyone lived my life in my shoes, they would probably be dead.

I like my life as it is now, i've made it what it is now through hard work. I've overcome situations nobody should have to endure let alone a 22 year old, so i don't need someone telling me i need to understand others or feel empathy to make my life easier, i understand more than most.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 am

Git wrote:Amen.

When I left school I couldn't find work for a year. Applied absolutely everywhere. Eventually got lucky with a care job and when I was made redundant from that, got two interviews and two offers in a week.

Now in my current job, I was a support worker for 8 months and I'm now promoted to a senior, in charge of 7 staff and 10 residents. Life is fair if you actually apply yourself, actually give a shit and try.

/thread
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate