Self harm for attention?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Self harm for attention?

Postby Trina » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:41 pm

Do you think people who self harm do it for attention?

The reason I ask this is because in the past I have seen threads on self harm and many seem to say "oh it's just for attention"

Here is a quote about what self harm is

What is self-harm?

Self-harm is a way of expressing very deep distress. Often, people don't know why they self-harm. It's a means of communicating what can't be put into words or even into thoughts and has been described as an inner scream. Afterwards, people feel better able to cope with life again, for a while.

Self-harm is a broad term. People may injure or poison themselves by scratching, cutting or burning their skin, by hitting themselves against objects, taking a drug overdose, or swallowing or putting other things inside themselves. It may also take less obvious forms, including taking stupid risks, staying in an abusive relationship, developing an eating problem, such as anorexia or bulimia, being addicted to alcohol or drugs, or simply not looking after their own emotional or physical needs.

I will post my views on it tomorrow as it may be a long one!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby CLS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:31 am

i think if you feel so much pain inside that you cant or dont know how to deal with,
by self harming like cutting your arm or burning yourself you are 100% focussed on the pain you are self inflicking that the other pain is forgotten about for the short term
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cheese » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:21 am

Chelsea are self harming at the moment for attention :lol:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Self harm for attention?

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:28 pm

Putting Emo's aside i think there is no definitive yes or no. People will do crazy things to get attention and i believe that many self harmers do do it for attention but i also believe that most come under the first paragraph of the description.

Trouble is that those that do it for attention stigmatise the condition and may prevent the really troubled self harmers being taken seriously. It really infuriates me that people do it for attention for the same reason i am wroth with those who lie about being raped, it is an unimaginable insult to those who have really suffered.

If i had to guess i would say it was 70% true problems 30% attention or fluctuating around that area. I wouldn't want to say it was all one or the other.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:56 pm

i used to self harm. just cutting my arm. but i don't think it was totally for attention. maybe a wee bit to show friends that i needed a bit of help without actually having to ask them. but, it was more for the buzz i got off it. it felt like a release of all the pent-up agression, and actually felt good at the time....well, better than the state of mind i was in at the time. i'm not meaning to glamourise it or make it sound cool or anything though, because i still have the scars on my arm after 3 or 4 years after stopping it, so i have to wear a bandage on my arm 24/7 to hide it. which isn't cool, and i get bored of people always asking what i did to my arm. so all i'm saying is that, i don't really recommend it, but i understand why people do it, and i'll never judge anyone by it. we all go through crap in our lives, people just have different ways of dealing with it. :D
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CLS » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:22 am

hope you coping alright now mate :arsenal:
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:55 pm

cheers boss. :l: yeah, i'm grand now.
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:36 pm

dj_jonty_uk wrote:cheers boss. :l: yeah, i'm grand now.

Glad to hear it. ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Trina » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:15 pm

The reason I didn't post my view to begin with was to see other peoples opinions on it.

Jonty I am glad you came out of it. God knows how you did to be honest, because I don't know how I did!

I used to cut myself years ago when I was with my ex. I can't actually remember the first time I did it, but I remember doing it so many times and it felt so good believe it or not!

It was never for attention though. Looking back, the reason I did it was because I couldn't relieve all the anger I had inside of me verbally for reasons I won't go into.....I had so many emotions I just couldn't get out.

So instead...I used to get to get a knife and cut my wrist/arm. I never intended to kill myself, it was the pain it gave me which made me feel better....it sounds mad even typing it!!

When I used to get mad/upset the first thing I went for was the knife from the draw....but never infront of anyone. I did have marks on my arms, but it' wasn't that hard to cover them up.

Thankfully I got out of doing it, to this day I still don't know how! Well I do in a way, I left him...I remember just before I did going to the kitchen and to the draw but I stopped myself. I just thought there is no way I can carry on like this.

Cutting is an addiction, once you start it is so hard to stop.

As I said that was years ago and since then I have met the man who makes me so happy and who knows me inside out!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Cheese » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:50 pm

Trina wrote:As I said that was years ago and since then I have met the man who makes me so happy and who knows me inside out!

Trina so glad you are happy now and things are working out for you.
I have never cut my arms but when i was younger and was feed up with being in pain i used to take either to many pills or wouldn't take them at all (wow how pathetic does that sound 'coz i just made things worse) there have been times that i have almost given up completly.
Since my brother was on the 20-12-01 nearly 6 years ago i promised myself that i would be there for him and wouldnt let him down so i put me being here now down to him because i was so close to an end (which thinking about is scary).
although times are not great atm i aint giving up, i see his face when he come see me in hospital last year and he had tears down his face i couldnt imagine putting him and the rest of my family through anything like that.
Also Arsenal is a big help for me because when i watch them i forget about everything else and enjoy the moment.

Anyways thats enough about my life story lol i keep doing that :oops:
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:11 pm

Glad to hear you came through the light end of the tunnel Trina and that you found your perfect man. I suppose as Fordy is your dream man he deserves a good meal or two every now and again ;)

All Arsenal 1886: You are a brave man and a trooper. I am glad that you have not given up and have stuck in there. You seem like a top man and i hope it works out for you.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trina » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Seeing how someone depends on you makes a whole lot of difference!

As much as anyone thinks "no one would be bothered if I was gone". In most cases that is so untrue.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:25 pm

since we are all goin serious here...

i cant really say i could imagine cutting myself, and can only sympathise with anyone who does.

as far as depression goes, ive sampled that though :( , in my 6th year at school, my next door neighbour (who was like my big bro, as he was i few years older than me, and we used to do a lot of stuff together) well he hung himself in the woods up behind my house, he was pretty messed up with drugs n shit then.

never talked bout it really, cos i left for uni weeks after it and me and my mates at uni are sort of laddish n i wouldnt feel comfortable talkin bout deep stuff like that. then last year (3rd year at uni) i started failing stuff and ended up droppin out 3/4 way thru, at that point i was so depressed, due to everything

altho on a better note, im back resitting 3rd year uni now, touch wood it all goes good :D :D
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Trina » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:36 pm

Glad things are looking better for you ab_fab.

Depression is a very bad situation to be in, especially if you don't have anyone to talk to. I suppose in some ways the internet is to be thankfull! It is easier to type things than to say it person to person.

If you don't have anyone to talk to then that is when it gets worse, no matter what illness you have. Wether it is cutting, depression, anorexia etc etc.

If ever you need to chat ab_fab you know where I am..

Good luck in Uni! Although I'm sure you don't need it and you will do well :)
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Cheese » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:00 am

This tread seems to have turned into a confessional :lol:

Glad to hear everyone is ok tho and thanks to everyone for the Positive comments

:smile: :smile:
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to The Big Debate