Anorexia

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Anorexia

Postby Adz » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:16 pm

This has got to be one of the best ways in my opinion to show the young girls what anorexia is like.

What do you lot thing?

Code: Select all
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007440662,00.html
Adz
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby CLS » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:04 pm

yuk
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Yes shock tactics may not work for smoking but they "may" work here.

I remember when i met my friends sister who had anorexia, she gave me and 3 of my mates a lift back from bromley and i tell you there was a deathly silence in the car. It is really sickening how skinny she was, her arms literally looked like they would snap if you touched her.

She has recovered now which is a relief but after seeing it, i saw how serious it really can be.

The thing i cannot stand is these god damn pro-anorexia sites and organisations who support and encourage anorexia. The people who run them should be charged with instigating grevious bodily harm and conspiracy to murder :x
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:45 pm

The sad thing is that in my opinion, it is preventable. Role models (without naming names) who parade down the catwalk as thin as a stick really do not help.

Worse still, is these so-called "shock tactics" will never work, because they really are not hard hitting enough. But thanks to our current Nanny State, harder-hitting images would never be allowed.

For example the so-called hard hitting "drink-drive" campaign. Actually show the damn images, make people feel repulsed and sick at the actions of such a person. Actually make them think twice about the potential consequences instead of some pussy-foot thirty second advert doing nothing more than earning wannabe actors are few bob.

But to the topic in hand, people need to know where help is available, and those suffering need to know the harm they are causing not only themselves, but their nearest and dearest. Anorexia is a progressive disease, and can be cured before it even takes hold. If the initial signs are spotted, people could be pointed in the right direction, and there are enough resources to help.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Trina » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:30 pm

I agree with SE13 in regards to for example the drink driving being shown on tv. I think they should show it about anorexia and the damage it can cause.

All this with the size 0 is bloody stupid to be honest!

I remember a few weeks back going shopping and seeing clothes in town for size 4 and 6. That is ridiculous!

Before I had Shannon I was a size 8 and I struggled to get clothes for that size.

Anyway...I do think that spotting signs of it is harder than people think. It's easy to cover up with a jumper etc so people can't see you are loosing weight.

The image Adz posted is horrid, and that's because there is no flesh to her. But yet to her she will feel fat. It must be a dreadful ring to be in.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby SE13 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:28 pm

When will people actually realise that Mr. Average actually wants a body and not a skeleton.

Promoting Size Zero really isn't helping matters. Ok, so Twiggy, Kate Moss et al were good looking girls, but so was Kate Winslet and Sophie Dahl, both of whom were a more real reflection on your average lady, who incidentally is an average size 14.

I do believe that the modelling industry has brought on a glut of anorexia, and unless someone can prove to me otherwise, I see nothing that would even make me raise my eyebrows in opposition.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:04 pm

I agree with all this size zero crap, it doesnt help when this sort of dress size is being promoted not only on the catwalks but by the fashion industry which supplies our clothes outlets.

Its a huge factor, young girls these days are very image consious & seeing these skin n bones model splashed over magazine covers is not good.

Ive never been on the big side, although i will admit to panicing when ive put on a few pounds but just gone on to cut out the crap like the crisps & chocolat to level myself out again.

Last year when i was going through a bad patch, i moreorless stopped eating, couldnt face food, picked rather than ate, & dropped 1.5 stone in 10 days, it was only when i actually weighed myself because clothes started falling off me did i think "hold on pull yourself together ffs EAT!" id dropped to 7st 6...a size 6 in clothes. :shock:
I looked terrible & literally forced myself to eat even when i didnt want it.[/list]
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:09 am

I can echo your point there. I went through a very bad patch just after Christmas, and didn't eat for well over two weeks. In fact my staple diet was beer, and I got myself into such a state, I nearly lost my job as well.

With a bit of help from others, I was pushed to a mirror, and I took a hard look at myself. I had lost over three stone in weight, and looked about 60 years old.

In my case, the road to recovery was an easy one, however I can appreciate that others will not be so fortunate.

The morale is to be happy with yourself. People will like or love you for what you are, not what you are trying to be.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to The Big Debate