Kony 2012

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Kony 2012

Postby Dejan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Sup guys.

Came across this video. I know its a long watch but its really worth it to know whats really going on over there.

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Re: Kony 2012

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:26 pm

People like Kony need to be brought to justice but I don't agree with the charity doing all this. This article can explain it better than I could http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com.nyud.net/ but essentially I don't really agree with the concept of equipping an army that has raped and looted in the past.

Kony has suffered some heavy losses in Uganda and I don't think he is even in the country. The idea of safety is even covered in the video and they say that they as a country feel safety.

I think that Syria is a bigger issue for us and we need to be focusing on at the moment. While this is a very noble cause and Kony should be brought to justice. I don't agree with the charities methods for removing him and the way they operate as a charity using money they make to not help the militia but to make more films.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Agree with you BG mate.

People are simply watching this video, thinking 'oh my gadz this is proper sad' then posting it all over facebook without actually looking into it at all. I agree that this Kony guy needs to be stopped but giving money to this charity isnt going to stop him.

Taking down a dictator isnt a simple task, if it was then there wouldnt be any at all but sadly there are a shit load in todays world.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Dejan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:43 pm

While I agree that sending money is stupidity, bringing this to the attention is not.
Before this I havent even heard of the guy. This is going worldwide so that can only be a good thing. Goverments are
not going to do a damn thing without being pressured.

The world has many many problems, obviously if Kony is getting caught, it doesnt solve anything. But it does help all the children
whom are held away from their families and makes their life better.

Obviously childrens army, women getting raped is happening in more parts Africa. And it has been here for a longer time. But its never too late for a change. We all could make a change. What if we are not going to do anything? Kony will just keep on going and the life of many Africans will remain a living hell.

What if the media didnt paid any attention at all to all the chaos and riots in Egypt? Then khadaffi would still be able to commit crimes against their own innocent people now. All the attention and media pressured to goverments in going to action.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 pm

This whole thing is a lot bigger than just one man mate.

He'll have a whole chain of command/kids hes been grooming to continue his work if he ever does get killed. The video makes this out to be a simple fix and that if we all donate and show awareness then this will stop. Fact of the matter is, Ughanda has no oil or anything of value o no country is ever going to get seriously involved in it, regardless of how many people put up posters or psot the video online.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Dejan wrote:While I agree that sending money is stupidity, bringing this to the attention is not.
Before this I havent even heard of the guy. This is going worldwide so that can only be a good thing. Goverments are
not going to do a damn thing without being pressured.

The world has many many problems, obviously if Kony is getting caught, it doesnt solve anything. But it does help all the children
whom are held away from their families and makes their life better.

Obviously childrens army, women getting raped is happening in more parts Africa. And it has been here for a longer time. But its never too late for a change. We all could make a change. What if we are not going to do anything? Kony will just keep on going and the life of many Africans will remain a living hell.

What if the media didnt paid any attention at all to all the chaos and riots in Egypt? Then khadaffi would still be able to commit crimes against their own innocent people now. All the attention and media pressured to goverments in going to action.

One of the reasons Egypt and Lybia got the coverage was because it was part of something much bigger. A huge political shift in Saharan Africa moving from Tunisia into the middle east with Syria. Child soldiers is nothing new and has been reported for years and is an issue that should be solved but Its only now that it has become something people are really vocal about.

This is the cynic in me but it is kind of like comic relief in a way. The only time most people do anything is when comic relief is everywhere and people do their bit for charity. The other 350 days of the year they would probably do nothing. If someone came out with a thought provoking documentary of Tibet and the troubles it faces from China it would probably blow up in the same way that this Kony 2012 movement has.

Its great that people are being made aware about this and these places should be helped but my main gripe is with the charity itself.

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/ql ... s_a_fraud/

This post of reddit was from an article which goes further into the major issues within this charity invisible children. They seem to turn a massive blind eye to the morally corrupt Ugandan government which has committed some shocking acts in the past. Also their distribution of money seems pretty terrible. A small amount of what they make seems to go into helping these affected children. They have made 7 films on the issue when they only really needed to make one to get their point across.

We will see what happens in the coming months and the success of this campaign but I think too many people are going along with this charity without checking it out or understanding how they want to achieve their goals. They see the message and that's it.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Have wee look at this before any of you lot go ahead and buy a KONY wristband.

Its a scottish lad doing it so might be a bit tought to understand!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:07 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:

he's never bought one those wristbands... if he had, he would know they break very easily, and that's why people don't wear them anymore
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Trequartista » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:12 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
TheLittleMozart wrote:

he's never bought one those wristbands... if he had, he would know they break very easily, and that's why people don't wear them anymore

My school banned them after a while because people were wearing one for pretty much every charity/cause in the world and senior management decided it was getting out of hand.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 pm

ARSHENAL wrote:My school banned them after a while because people were wearing one for pretty much every charity/cause in the world and senior management decided it was getting out of hand.

seems a bit strange to ban them
They can seem a little poser-ish, but surely there's not so much harm to it that wearing them has to be banned?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Trequartista » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:28 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
ARSHENAL wrote:My school banned them after a while because people were wearing one for pretty much every charity/cause in the world and senior management decided it was getting out of hand.

seems a bit strange to ban them
They can seem a little poser-ish, but surely there's not so much harm to it that wearing them has to be banned?

I'm inclined to agree with you. However our school was quite strict on uniform and decided that once they became a fashion statement with people wearing about 10 different bands supporting causes they couldn't even explain or really care about they put their foot down and banned them all together...
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Hammered Pizza » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 pm

He's a bad man and it's a good cause, but the bandwagon's filling up too quickly for my liking.

Flavour of the month.
I'm out, pushed before I could jump.
It was fun.

Burn short, burn bright.
Always Arsenal.

My other haunt.
Hammered Pizza
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ivan itchybum » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:00 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:This whole thing is a lot bigger than just one man mate.

He'll have a whole chain of command/kids hes been grooming to continue his work if he ever does get killed. The video makes this out to be a simple fix and that if we all donate and show awareness then this will stop. Fact of the matter is, Ughanda has no oil or anything of value o no country is ever going to get seriously involved in it, regardless of how many people put up posters or psot the video online.

apparently all he cares about is keeping his power, so I doubt that about heirs to the throne part.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby elkanofan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:57 am

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’m notalone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

KONY Funded by the Sudan Government: (Sudan is oil rich, how coincidental :dizzy: )
Apparently he was funded by Sudan! How convenient?

Rumored to had died last year.
http://karibufm.com/2011/11/21/jpseph-k ... ored-dead/

This guy seems to be the elite new Osama Bin Laden.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 am

Dejan wrote:

Robert Mugabe has been openly murdering his own people for 40 years but the UN don't seemed to be too bothered. Why don't we do a campaign on him? Just a couple of nasty news reports and that's it.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Next

Return to The Big Debate