Does democracy work in Arabic States?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Does democracy work in Arabic States?

Postby elkanofan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:24 pm

gzagee wrote:I've been wondering about this for some time and I cannot think of many Arab states that have embraced democracy since they've been 'saved' from dictatorship.

Do yous lot think the Western ideal of democracy works or can work in such societies?

Democracy in Arabic States? It's a smokescreen for the true western elite ideology.

Which is setting up a central bank which controls everything and serves to the people the illusion of democracy.

I think the Arabs are more awake in their views on whats really going on and they know that there no such thing as democracy in these countries. just lies and corruption! They would rather live under a nutcase tyrant, where at least they know who's boss, they can see the evil! Rather than the illusion of democracy where you have little idea who runs what! Where you don't know the extent of the evil.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:58 am

elkanofan wrote:
gzagee wrote:I've been wondering about this for some time and I cannot think of many Arab states that have embraced democracy since they've been 'saved' from dictatorship.

Do yous lot think the Western ideal of democracy works or can work in such societies?

Democracy in Arabic States? It's a smokescreen for the true western elite ideology.

Which is setting up a central bank which controls everything and serves to the people the illusion of democracy.

I think the Arabs are more awake in their views on whats really going on and they know that there no such thing as democracy in these countries. just lies and corruption! They would rather live under a nutcase tyrant, where at least they know who's boss, they can see the evil! Rather than the illusion of democracy where you have little idea who runs what! Where you don't know the extent of the evil.

surely you're not arguing that nations that use Sharia law give their citizens more freedom than "first world" countries?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:40 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

surely you're not arguing that nations that use Sharia law give their citizens more freedom than "first world" countries?

Nope :) Sharia Law and western ideology are both heavily flawed. just they are flawed in different ways and Arabs i believe prefer sharia law.

This explains it quite well:
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby whee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:51 am

Interesting read so far, keep it going.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:15 pm

what is the system that Canada used to run under social democracy or social credit i thought that was a good system,i think the same or similar system runs in switzerland.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 pm

whee wrote:Interesting read so far, keep it going.

You still working over there mate? What's your take?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby whee » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 am

Hey Gza, still out here pal.

For some reason, what Saudi's do, seems to work. Sure there is minor unrest etc, but not the majorities we've seen elsewhere. If there's discontent, a pay out to workers (bonus) eases tensions. Sure it's corrupt, but it works.

While there's money here, there'll be minimal problems. Once the oils gone, I think we will see a big change, unless the Saudi's continue to plan, as they are doing, for life beyond oil.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby whee » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 am

One of the most interesting articles i've seen in a long time.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... script-12/
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to The Big Debate