Hitting parents

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Hitting parents

Postby Trina » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:48 am

I was watching the Jeremy Kyle show this morning and there was a lad of 14 on it, that looked so innocent and cute. Yet he hit is mother.

I just don't understand this to be honest....perhaps it's because I know if my kids ever did it, it would be the last thing they did!!

Is it because of broken homes? abuse? attention?

What are your views on it?
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby gooner-geeza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:18 am

I'm Ol'Skool Trina......if my kids was 2 ever do such a thing....it's punishment 4 respect 2 ur parents, back in my dayz.....u could'nt even batter an eyelid in u disrespected an elder....as i would get some severe licks from my mum, if my dad was about.....then thats a different story as i know he would'nt stand 4 that either.

But now days kids compare themselves with their parents and some get away with murder, then u get the government who screw-up even MORE and now they want the parents back on track....what utter W****rs :bang: :bang: :bang: :hit: :hit: !! No matter what i still have a responsibility as a parent and aslong as my kids listen and do what their told and follow the understanding of R.E.S.P.E.C.T....then we'll see what happens next, I'm not a bad parent at all but my children need discipline....all children do, just depends how u deal with it.
gooner-geeza
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Libertine » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:12 am

I'm dead against it (hitting your parents) but there are exceptions.

Mate of mine used to get proper knocked about by his dad but, when he was 15, he belted his old man back and sat him on his arse.
His dad never raised hs hand to him again.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:40 am

Libertine wrote:I'm dead against it (hitting your parents) but there are exceptions.

Mate of mine used to get proper knocked about by his dad but, when he was 15, he belted his old man back and sat him on his arse.
His dad never raised hs hand to him again.

That is understandable, especailly if it was something that was a regualar occurance in his life as he was growing up.

I think it very much depends on the circumstances a child is brought up in, i know some kids have very responsible parents who have done their best but sometimes kids go off the track, get in with the wrong crowd & try it on, thinking they can do what the hell they want...im having a few issues with my own son atm, nothing too major, its more attitude than anything, just started comprehensive, thinks he's the dogs bollox & i think the only thing he is hitting is puberty! :lol:
but i know he wouldnt dream of raising his hand to me.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:00 am

...im having a few issues with my own son atm, nothing too major, its more attitude than anything, just started comprehensive, thinks he's the dogs bollox & i think the only thing he is hitting is puberty! :lol:
but i know he wouldnt dream of raising his hand to me.

every guy gets an attitude problem at that age :lol: :lol:

i remember i was a total dick at that stage
Last edited by absolutely_fabregas on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby REG » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:23 am

He made himself look hard but he did break down quite easily (i watched the show)
Funny enough me n Gooner Geeza were talking about this sort of thing & i have the up most respect for my parents, i haven't had a prefect life with them but i still love them & for all that they have done
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Unless it is in the context which Libertine discussed then i think they should suffer the same punishment.

If the punishment the parent would have got for likewise abuse was say £1000 fine or 3 months in jail then when the child reaches 18 they should immediately get a £1000 fine or 3 months in jail.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:29 pm

One of the sad by-products of being on holiday is that I did get to see that show. And for the record, I very much doubt I would bother watching again as it was appalling. What with people trying to outswear each other, fight and generally make complete fools of themselves on National tv, it was a shambles!

But to the matter in hand, if one of my children dared raise a hand to either myself or Mrs SE13, he/she would find themselves on a oneway ticket to the naughty kids place. I would like to think that they have been taught better than that. As for myself, I know my entire family would disown me if I dared to dream about it.

I think it's all to do with how you were brought up. Children roaming the streets have no contact with their parents for hours at a time, and can dream up I don't know what. Mine are not allowed out of the garden, more because we live right on the innner ring road, but also for the reason that we can have them close to hand and strictly under control at all times.

To be honest, when I was a kid, I got away with more than my parents would know about, but the local copper was always on hand, and whoa betide anyone who was taken home by him. And heaven forbid my parents catching me doing something wrong!!

Sadly, the current nanny state in which we live has given parents next to no rights with which to discipline children, and the authorities are fairly much powerless to stop them running wild anyway. And I blame The Americans with all this "sue Macs for getting burned by a hot coffee" attitude to life. Christ, when I was young, I tripped on pavements, wiped my knees and carried on. Now, I could sue for thousands. My Dad took a belt to my backside, and I never repeated whatever it was I did wrong. Not now, oh no..... Kids can actually get parents locked up for it.

The World has gone utterly mad!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gooner-geeza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:18 pm

But guys as parents......the responsibilty is in our hands, otherwise the next generation of kids may be worse then NOW.....and i'm sorry but i can't have that!!! Us parents do our best single or as a couple 2 bring our children up RIGHT and to respect the living and the dead....no matter what, kids are the future.
gooner-geeza
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby gooner-geeza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:21 pm

AND Please.....don't blame anybody....as most of you lovely people have covered this in here and on ur statements.......IT'S HOW WE ARE RAISED AND RAISE OUR OWN!!
gooner-geeza
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Trina » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:28 pm

I agree it is how you are raised.

The problem nowadays is that kids are raised differently to 10/20 years ago.

SE13's post was a very good one. I remember the belt when I used to go to my Gran and Grandads house....and remember it been used on me a few times!

Although my parents never did that, I wouldn't even dare back chat them, let alone hit them!

I know for a fact our kids would never raise a hand to me. But Shannon has been brought up to know right from wrong and how to respect people.

She is only 8 but she gets grounded, tv took off her, nintendo took off her etc etc. She learns the rules that way.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby gooner-geeza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:43 pm

In a way Trina....I can't say how you and Fordy raise ur beautiful kids.....but it's the time where they get older and between their born and now...it's true....they should know the ropes of respect and realise when they older that parents worry more....as the company they have, Just remember the days when your with your mates back in the day of conversations about parents and things that are said, thats the attitude we need to steer away from them.....as they may not understand what a parent does and we try so hard to express it to them, that some realise when they get older and find out them selves.....but some kids would blame their parents for that!!

But it's good when ur child never back-chats you or huffs behind your back and so on.
Last edited by gooner-geeza on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gooner-geeza
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Git » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:51 pm

Nice one SE13.

Hell, even in as little as 10 years I've noticed a change. Just watching my little sister grow up in comparison to me. I was never anything like she is now. When I was her age if I did anything seen as wrong I would either get slapped, ear pulled, hair pulled, etcetera and just wouldn't do it again. I even remember having my mouth washed out with soap once because I believe I said the 'C' word, which would explain my reluctance to use it, unlike the majority of my peers.

There's just no deterrent for kids these days. I despise it.

And another thing that I've noticed, again in the brief period of 10 years. Kids these days are f***ing pansies! As SE13 said, when I was young and hurt myself I just picked myself up and got on with it; these days you need a plaster and an emergency room. I fell out of a fairly high tree, swinging from the top branch when it decide to snap (stupid but totally worth it) when I was about 11, landed straight on my back and forgot all about it. I'm sure I could name countless examples but I'd just get angry about kids these days... :p

Old before my time. xD
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Trina » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:52 pm

To be honest, I think because of how me and Fordy grew up....is how we are with Shannon.

I understand what you are saying about kids talking to other kids about their parents.

And the one thing I am happy about is that Shannon's friends think we are brilliant.

We let her play out until the last few kids go in, then she has to (as I used to hate coming in when all my mates were still out playing!)

Her friends come in the house, she goes to theirs etc etc.

I'm going off topic a bit now, lol....but I do think the main factor of kids hitting parents is how they are raised.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby SE13 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:26 pm

The one major problem I have is when their friends come to visit. I think I put something on here somewhere else about it, but one little girl had a cut, and it needed treatment. Nanny state says "No, send her home" Parent says "If that was my child, I would want him/her patching up"

But it all is down to the upbringing. You let them run riot, and that is exactly what they will do. Children need to learn from a very early age how to respect the decisions of elders, and that just because "Fred" next door can do such and such, it doesn't mean it's ok for them to follow suit.

I am still a firm believer in National Service, something that shows youngsters discipline, and gets them off the streets.

Also, anyone who has had a Forces childhood knows damn well that if you get yourself into trouble, your Dad (or Mum is she is serving) will be the one in trouble, and not yourself (to a degree). Maybe it is time to get the parents to answer a bit more for the actions of the children, instead of this poxy "ASBO" attitude, which seems to actually spur the kids on, rather than discourage them....

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to The Big Debate