Bringing back National Service for ALL 16yr olds

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Bringing back National Service for ALL 16yr olds

Postby gzagee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Cameron's fightback.

Good thing or bad?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Bringing back National Service for ALL 16yr olds

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm

The way I see it as a 16 yr old (soon 17), if a 16 year old isn't part of higher education or has no job for 6 months, then they should be enlisted in national service.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby IMF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Too many people started having too many kids to reap the benefits that the government was handing out for free... now these kids are reaching an age where they can cause trouble and they are causing trouble.

Get to the root of the problem rather than trying to solve the problem. Stop handing out benefits to anyone that can't afford kids and decides to have more than 1 kid.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:56 pm

I think Population Culling is a bit harsh IMF but i do see where you are coming from with the drain on benefits ect some people see it as a way of life rather than a short term option. Every case is different.

Maybe national service should be given to young offenders, rather than throwing them in the slammer which is a further drain on public funds, as part of rehabilitation with strict legislation regarding weapon use, although i wouldnt trust some with a stick let alone a loaded weapon!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby IMF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:I think Population Culling is a bit harsh IMF but i do see where you are coming from with the drain on benefits ect some people see it as a way of life rather than a short term option. Every case is different.

Maybe national service should be given to young offenders, rather than throwing them in the slammer which is a further drain on public funds, as part of rehabilitation with strict legislation regarding weapon use, although i wouldnt trust some with a stick let alone a loaded weapon!

If the government only gave benefits for one kid instead of per kid, we'd be in such a better world right now.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Hand out more condoms to parents/potential parents...

But on a serious note, definitely bring back National Service. - Although this is going to happen regardless, it's all part of the bigger plan :hiding:
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:06 pm

IMF wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:I think Population Culling is a bit harsh IMF but i do see where you are coming from with the drain on benefits ect some people see it as a way of life rather than a short term option. Every case is different.

If the government only gave benefits for one kid instead of per kid, we'd be in such a better world right now.

Sorry crossed wires, understand what you saying now. Id say 2 kids though, but the country cant go on keeping ppl who seem to think they are only on the planet to breed, one of the kids in my daughters class has 9 siblings....yep parents on benefits, that is just taking the piss, another lives across the road from me, brand new car on disability for her deaf son & lazy husband who has a bad back, but yet he can still do all the things that a so called able bodied man does! why isnt he made to do a desk job? just about to have her 5th child, pops another one out as soon as the youngest starts full time school!
Its people like this & those doing benefit frayd who are being a huge drain on the system, not exactly giving their own kids a good role model, its like saying get pregnant gov gives you money & a free house, sad sad times.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Futuo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:12 pm

I'd rather they be forced to carry out community projects - cleaning canals, litter picking up, removing graffiti etc in order for them to receive their benefits.

And if they don't do it they lose their hand outs - tough shit!
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Thing is they cannot force parents on benefits to do that without providing adequate childcare, which in turn costs more money. :?
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Trina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Sims wrote:The way I see it as a 16 yr old (soon 17), if a 16 year old isn't part of higher education or has no job for 6 months, then they should be enlisted in national service.

I agree with this and would happily do this for my kids.
When I left high school I had the choice of going to college or working full time. I chose to work and did for years. I will give the same option to my kids too.

But I really detest seeing the news and papers how kids haven't gone to college or work after high school, then moan they cant get a job but aint actually trying! Just sitting on the dole and taking the parents money. I agree with the 6 months term too.

A 16/17 year old can get a job, might not be what they want but thats life. You get a job to provide for yourself (family), not for enjoyment.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:49 pm

All I know is I would have been utterly depressed as a 16 year old having to do national service (I had a job but am imagining if I didn't and couldn't find one). I was taught morals and decency and I would be furious to have been put in that position by a bunch of degenerate rioters. I understand why they may be thinking it but I can't ignore how I know I would have felt (my years in the army cadets was enough to put me off the army) if it was me, I would have seen it as a punishment I didn't deserve and many others would as well. I didn't resent my country/government at all growing up but I would if they made me do national service, touch of irony there.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Futuo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote: if it was me, I would have seen it as a punishment

Why shouldn't it be a punishment, if they refuse to contribute to society then why shouldn't they be punished? Might make them get a job in the first place, which is the general idea.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:01 am

Futuo wrote:

Why shouldn't it be a punishment, if they refuse to contribute to society then why shouldn't they be punished? Might make them get a job in the first place, which is the general idea.

So all 16 year olds deserve to be punished? And none contribute to society? What nonsense
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:06 am

Futuo wrote:

Why shouldn't it be a punishment

because the vast majority of 16 year olds, including myself at the time have never nor would conceive to do, anything of the like that these rioters did. You want to send the actual looters into national service then fine but to tell every 16 year old who cannot find a job (and it is often not easy) they have to go, that is another thing entirely. All I am saying is I would have been beyond gutted (unless it was for a short period of time), if I say I support this now it is only because I am 28 :lol:
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Futuo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:15 am

They sign on and part of that deal is looking for work yet don't, so give them 6 months to fine work then it's contribute with their sweat to receive free money.

But of course all they would do is enrol on some mickey mouse college course and never attend, stay at home watching Jeremy Kyle and playing PS3 on their mum's 42" plasma.

They need to realise that being long term unemployed s not an option.

Give me one good reason that the taxpayer should pay for these feckless sorts to do naff all all day?
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Next

Return to The Big Debate