'Magic' - real or fake?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: 'Magic' - real or fake?

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:
TRA Dial Square wrote:Why is it people (not directed at you guys here per se but generally) completely dismiss stuff like "Magic" out of hand??

Who's to say people can't do certain things we see in these 'tricks'? Granted a lot of it is 'illusion' like for example the levitating thing, I can do it practically near perfect and it's complete illusion but I've freaked out several people doing it...

The coin into the glass table? I can do that too... It's really not difficult when you know how or understand it at least, but it's still impressive.

But we don't know if "Warlocks", "Witches" etc exist... We don't know if there's certain aspects of the brain that can make us levitate, even Teleport as in Fringe Science.

People tend to dismiss stuff they don't get or it makes them shudder to think it could be real...

All these people like David Blane and Dynamo is simply illusionists... nothing more, nothing less.

Granted they are excellent at what they do, but they're performing simple tricks that most of the time are down to nothing more but a little bit of mis-direction and a slight of hand movement.

You've just proved my point... Let me ask you something, are you trying to convince me, or yourself? ;)
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gunRAR » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:19 pm

that feeling when you were about 12 and thought criss angels tricks were real :redface:
gunRAR
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby HorseMachine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:49 pm

One of my friend's dad was in Magic Circle, and after a few beers he can usually be twisted in to doing some kick ass tricks. Most of the time it's stuff like slight of hand and distraction/misdirection. But one trick that he showed us was where he got my girlfriend to call whether a card was red or black in a shuffled deck, then lay it in one of 2 piles. At the end all of the cards were in the right pile, and they were in numerical order... BLEW MY FRICKING MIND!!! Apparantly it was a trick a magician performed to Winston Churchill during WWII and he made his intelligence spend a whole day trying to figure out how it was performed...
HorseMachine
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby HorseMachine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 pm

*by intelligence i mean officers.. not like, his own mind...
HorseMachine
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby mg86 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Est83 wrote:Forget that, who's the girl in your avi? ;)

I've caught up with what gzagee is doing. Not much different than Pavlov's dogs classically conditioning. Put a hot girl in his avatar, members draw wood when they see his post, eventually just draw wood seeing gzagee has posted. Bastard!
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gzagee » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 pm

mg86 wrote:
Est83 wrote:Forget that, who's the girl in your avi? ;)

I've caught up with what gzagee is doing. Not much different than Pavlov's dogs classically conditioning. Put a hot girl in his avatar, members draw wood when they see his post, eventually just draw wood seeing gzagee has posted. Bastard!

:rofll:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:32 pm

TRA Dial Square wrote:
TheLittleMozart wrote:
TRA Dial Square wrote:Why is it people (not directed at you guys here per se but generally) completely dismiss stuff like "Magic" out of hand??

Who's to say people can't do certain things we see in these 'tricks'? Granted a lot of it is 'illusion' like for example the levitating thing, I can do it practically near perfect and it's complete illusion but I've freaked out several people doing it...

The coin into the glass table? I can do that too... It's really not difficult when you know how or understand it at least, but it's still impressive.

But we don't know if "Warlocks", "Witches" etc exist... We don't know if there's certain aspects of the brain that can make us levitate, even Teleport as in Fringe Science.

People tend to dismiss stuff they don't get or it makes them shudder to think it could be real...

All these people like David Blane and Dynamo is simply illusionists... nothing more, nothing less.

Granted they are excellent at what they do, but they're performing simple tricks that most of the time are down to nothing more but a little bit of mis-direction and a slight of hand movement.

You've just proved my point... Let me ask you something, are you trying to convince me, or yourself? ;)

I'm on to you, your crafty devil....

Warlock!!!!......BURN HIM!!!! :hiding:
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:36 pm

gzagee wrote:Been watching the latest exponent of the dark arts Dynamo and, I have to wonder whether it's slight-of-hand, misdirection, spoofing or camera editing?
Like I say he's just the latest off a long production line that is supposedly even older than Halloween. But can it be believed?
Or is there such a thing as magic?

Evolution?
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Dynamo is a crook. I saw one particular trick he did last week in a tattoo parlour, where he magically made some chick's tattoo of a woman winking change to her not winking. You could clearly see the make up on her shoulder before he wiped it away to reveal the real tattoo.

That and the completely unbelievable acting of the bystanders....
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:35 pm

I don't even bother with people like Dynamo. Same tired old illusions, if people had the power to pull real life magic they would take over the world with it, not become a bitch to those that run the world which is what dynamo is doing by parading around a couple of fancy camera tricks for a bit of cash.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby djaxster » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:12 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:
TRA Dial Square wrote:
TheLittleMozart wrote:

I'm on to you, your crafty devil....

Warlock!!!!......BURN HIM!!!! :hiding:

If you are a Warlock TRA then conjure up something that makes Wenger see sense and we win at least something this season.. :pray:

If that doesn't happen Lill Mo, then i'm afraid TRA isn't a Warlock.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to The Big Debate