My turn for some advice...

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Okay so... No-one's closer to me after family/friends than you lot on here believe it or not lol... So being as Dejan asked, thought I'd ask some advice too.

WARNING: THIS IS A LONG-ARSE POST.

Firstly the scenario:

Been acting professionally since I was 11yrs old (1992) - Right through until around 2004 where I suddenly developed panic attacks, couldn't leave my house etc... Was all extremely frustrating and basically cost me my career around then b/c I was just starting to be noticed by casting directors etc (as in they would actually call my agent asking if I was available not just auditioning).

Anyway in 2005 took my arse on an "Access to Performance" course in college for a year, graduated w/ flying colours and went off to Brunel University for three years ('06-'09) doing a B.A (Hons) degree in Film & Television Studies... During this time I met my partner and we've been together now for five years - Only problem is she lives in Surrey, I live in London (About an hour journey by train) and we only really get to see each other on weekends or when we take holidays.

Back to myself for a sec - When I graduated with a 2.2 in August 2009 I got myself a new agent but between then and March 2010 he wasn't finding the work for me; I decided to look for a "day job/9-5" whatever you want to call it; took up Telesales work and got offered a job with a big Event Sales company on the day of my interview... Went well, by all accounts.

Worked there until Jul/Aug 2010 simply because I was being absolutely hammered on by one of the Managers there and picked on to the extent that even my colleagues considered it "bullying" - Tried reporting it to the higher up's and it was "laughed off". So I handed in my notice and began working for a company made by Actors for Actors (basically a Dole Office for out of work Actors) again, Telesales work but it wasn't like your usual job... They were extremely flexible for auditions/filming etc.

Anyway up until Christmas I'd done three gigs, a McDonald's advert, a music video and a short film. Only one of those being "paid work". It pissed me off so I quit RSVP and went back to "9-5ing" Got a job with another Event Sales Company closer to home but it lasted literally TWO WEEKS before they phoned me one afternoon after telling me I needn't go in, in the morning - And said they didn't think it was going to work out; NO OTHER EXPLANATION, just that. Legally they were within their rights as well, as it was still my "Probation Period".

So baring in mind this was the middle of December, didn't even let me see it out until the new year, Christmas time, laid off, no money no other jobs in the pipeline; I was f'ked. Luckily instead of only paying me 2 wks, they ended up paying me a whole months wages but not until the middle of January and after I complained 3-4 times... Since then I've still yet to work.

Now, the actual Dilemma (As if all that wasn't enough haha):

As I explained I've been w/ my partner five years now & we're getting to that stage where we'd actually like to move in together & settle down... Only problem is, I have in no way, shape or form given up on my Acting career and have no intention of doing so. But right now I'm in the middle of limbo, I've had several "9-5" interviews this year in her area but to no avail - I've worked Acting wise a few times in the past 6 months but nothing major - I NEED to be able to both provide for myself and pay rent and whatnot but I also know the agent I've been w/ the past 18 months is the reason I've not been getting work.

At this stage I've terminated my contract w/ my agent and am in the process of sending details off w/ another, for representation... BUT I have a feeling my partner doesn't believe in me lol, she keeps mentioning the need to make the money etc etc; but I KNOW IF I get a 9-5 and my agent does their job well, I'm gonna have to leave the "9-5" anyway...

I'm SO stuck at this point in time.... Anybody? lol...
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Re: My turn for some advice...

Postby Leody » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:48 pm

You only get one go around, so make it count and follow your heart in my opinion. I know that money can ruin many a relationship, but if it was truly meant to be, she'd be there for you during the bad times as well as the good. You need to find something that you enjoy doing, and a partner that will support you in your endeavors.

I'm sure things will work out in the end, as pessimistic as I am about Arsenal most of the time, I really am an optimist when it comes to most issues in life.

Not sure if that's the sort of answer you were looking for, as it wasn't exactly crystal clear what you were asking, but I hope that helps.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Have u tried contacting your old agent from back in the days? He knows what you can do so maybe he can get u some work.
Is being an 'semi-famous' actor actually a fulltime job or do other actors in the same 'fame-class(no way how to put this)' have a 2nd job aswell?

edit: oh wait, the problem is with your partner and not with your job? Well if acting is your passion then you should go for it, whoever tries to stop you, f**k them. As leody mentions, money can give you big stress but your partner must be there in bad and good times
Last edited by Dejan on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Teacher training? Drama teacher!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks Leody - Kind of confirmed my feelings tbh.

Dejan - The problem's with a bit of both in fairness haha; but you and Leody have both made good points. But the Agent I've just released was the agency for my drama school - I've never been "away" from that agency; this new one just is not doing the right job and I'm not the first to terminate their contract... In regard to your question about jobbing. I've never been in a position where I've had to make the money elsewhere as when I was at my 'highest' I was a "child actor" yanno? I guess it also depends on the Agent you have working on your behalf though.

PG - I actually just recently applied to teach at "Stagecoach" - A world renowned After-School Stage school (allegedly?) But haven't heard anything back from them. And there's nowhere in her area looking for a Drama/Film teacher at this point - BUT It's not something I've ruled out either as even subbing (2-3 days a week) could earn me good money and I'd still find time to audition and film.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Get a job whilst still looking for acting work.
I don't know what your attributes are but you should be able to acquire casual or contract work whilst your new agent is out there scouting gigs for you.

It seems your missus is reaching her last tether with your promises so get a job to cover your ass.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby JordanTheGunner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Not really any good for relationship advice as am only young, but in answer to your question, it's just money, go with what you feel, keep looking for jobs, I might have missed something but does she fancy a move to your ends?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:20 pm

gzagee wrote:Get a job whilst still looking for acting work.
I don't know what your attributes are but you should be able to acquire casual or contract work whilst your new agent is out there scouting gigs for you.

It seems your missus is reaching her last tether with your promises so get a job to cover your ass.

This.

Plus, I'd like to add if acting is really your dream job, then don't ever give up on it, especially not for a vagina.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:31 pm

gzagee wrote:It seems your missus is reaching her last tether with your promises so get a job to cover your ass.

Think you got the wrong end of the stick with this lol...

It's only been the past few months we talked about moving in together lol. I've broken no "promises".

Agree w/ the rest though, cheers.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:32 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:Not really any good for relationship advice as am only young, but in answer to your question, it's just money, go with what you feel, keep looking for jobs, I might have missed something but does she fancy a move to your ends?

She would NEVER move to LDN.

TBH I want out of LDN myself.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:32 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Plus, I'd like to add if acting is really your dream job, then don't ever give up on it, especially not for a vagina.

Brilliant what I wanted to hear ;)
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:45 pm

TRA Dial Square wrote:
JordanTheGunner wrote:Not really any good for relationship advice as am only young, but in answer to your question, it's just money, go with what you feel, keep looking for jobs, I might have missed something but does she fancy a move to your ends?

Why?
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Forest wrote:
TRA Dial Square wrote:

Why?

Probably to get away from all the Man Utd fans!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Trina » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:14 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
gzagee wrote:Get a job whilst still looking for acting work.

This.

Plus, I'd like to add if acting is really your dream job, then don't ever give up on it, especially not for a vagina.

I agree with both of these. Dont give up on your dream.

But you need to look at it from her side too, by the sounds of it she is worrying wether you will be able to manage financially living together, there is a big difference to thinking this and not beleiving in you ;)

And trust me, if you have financial problems when living together thats when the arguements start!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Dejan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

this topic makes me chase my biggest dream too. =\
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Next