Mixed Ability or streaming?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Mixed Ability or streaming?

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:42 pm

So you're in agreement with mixed ability then, Hels?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Zedie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:18 pm

I can remember being in Sociology, where certain kids were definately not there to learn. Once the teacher had lost control, even the smart kids started taking the piss to the point where no one gave a shit or was able to learn a thing with all the madness happening in class.

I actually really enjoyed the subject but ended up with an E at GCSE level for the subject (did get 4 Bs and 4 Cs in other subjects though!), because it was impossible to learn with some of the reprobates that i studied with.

Nevermind that i could be a ring leader on occassion though. I really do miss school, some of the best times of my life!!!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:35 pm

gzagee wrote:So you're in agreement with mixed ability then, Hels?

While in primary, Yes. It has never done my kids any harm. I mentioned my daughter because she is currently primary, but my son is yr10 and he was also in mixed ability classes, as someone else mentioned: sets or groups dependant upon ability.

TBH i think i missed the years where this wasnt happening? (wasnt around schools ect was carefree & no kids)
We had this sort of thing when i was in school, back in the year dot..... usually 5/6 groups per class, i was usually in 2nd or 3rd group, would now & then go up to 'table 1' as they referred to it, (or the swot table as us kids then called it) But as long as kids get the support BOTH at school & home then i dont see why it should have a detrimental affect on the children who are not so bright. In our primary its those children who get all the support they need, whether we are lucky i dont know, i guess alot of it depends on individual school ethics as well.

Comprehensive is confusing me a bit atm though, Jake is in sets for certain subjects & not for others since he took his options, he took double science but is not in a set for that, can understand it with Btech Sport/geography ect subjects that only have x amount pupils taking, his English & Maths he is in set 1, just cant get my head around why he isnt in a set for science seing as english/math/science are the main 3 you need to get anywhere.
Confused Mum!!!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Zedie wrote:I actually really enjoyed the subject but ended up with an E at GCSE level for the subject (did get 4 Bs and 4 Cs in other subjects though!), because it was impossible to learn with some of the reprobates that i studied with.

Didnt know you could do sociology at comprehensive! Is that like an introduction thing?

Know what you mean about class disruption, my son is set 1 in all the subjects he has taken that are graded by ability, although he should be set 2 for english but has been moved up for the very same reason you are pointing out. Although he is getting the extra help he needs...he just dont like english, but from their school forecast report after module exams he is on target.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 am

Sets for individual subjects but within a mixed comp setting is the best way. But the most important thing is quality teaching and quality teachers at all levels.

There also needs to be a bigger drive towards getting kids on proper trade courses like City and Guilds. This country needs to get over its obsession with university. Kids should be taught that there is nothing wrong with being a plumber or a carpenter, and you can earn good money without loads of letters after your name.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby VCC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 am

UFGN wrote:Sets for individual subjects but within a mixed comp setting is the best way. But the most important thing is quality teaching and quality teachers at all levels.

There also needs to be a bigger drive towards getting kids on proper trade courses like City and Guilds. This country needs to get over its obsession with university. Kids should be taught that there is nothing wrong with being a plumber or a carpenter, and you can earn good money without loads of letters after your name.

Wow parliament beckons,you get my vote :) just a shame good minded people don't get to parliament
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:07 am

While on the subject of schooling has anyone ever heard of Comprehensive pupils doing half an A-Level?

Edit: Will be a year 11 pupil in September.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:27 am

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:While on the subject of schooling has anyone ever heard of Comprehensive pupils doing half an A-Level?

AS Level? That is meant to be half an A level.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:While on the subject of schooling has anyone ever heard of Comprehensive pupils doing half an A-Level?

AS Level? That is meant to be half an A level.

Yeah thats the one, Jake came home from school Friday saying him & 3 others are being put through it for Btech Sport, but ive never heard of it at their age (15) yr10 going into 11, A levels i would associate with 6th form. Would have thought t hat would be too much pressure. :dontknow:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Est83 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:20 pm

UFGN wrote:Sets for individual subjects but within a mixed comp setting is the best way. But the most important thing is quality teaching and quality teachers at all levels.

Agreed.

Vocational courses are (apparently) going to be made available from the age of 14. That's definitely the right age if you ask me. The curriculum should be as wide as possible up til this point, helping the children to home in their range of skills. Academics is only one eighth of the intelligence spectrum, there is definitely a national obsesison over it though.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Est83 wrote:

Agreed.

Vocational courses are (apparently) going to be made available from the age of 14. That's definitely the right age if you ask me. The curriculum should be as wide as possible up til this point, helping the children to home in their range of skills. Academics is only one eighth of the intelligence spectrum, there is definitely a national obsesison over it though.

In fairness, these are already available (at least here) i know some of the kids in my sons year are already working towards getting trades, mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, hairdressing, childcare, beauty ect ect...or at least an introduction to them, not exactly sure what certificate they are though.

Jake wanted to do engineering which was part of the yr9 options, but because of a lack of interest from pupils in his school, the education board refused to allow it to go ahead. Annoyed us all, because it would have been held at College, so couldnt get my head around why they cant combine the lessons with other schools to make up the numbers so the kids that wanted to follow this path could still study it. So he ended up taking the Btech Sport, even though he still wants to be an engineer.
Dont take the brains of a mathematician to work around that one!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby gunRAR » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:49 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:In fairness, these are already available (at least here) i know some of the kids in my sons year are already working towards getting trades, mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, hairdressing, childcare, beauty ect ect...or at least an introduction to them, not exactly sure what certificate they are though.

Jake wanted to do engineering which was part of the yr9 options, but because of a lack of interest from pupils in his school, the education board refused to allow it to go ahead. Annoyed us all, because it would have been held at College, so couldnt get my head around why they cant combine the lessons with other schools to make up the numbers so the kids that wanted to follow this path could still study it. So he ended up taking the Btech Sport, even though he still wants to be an engineer.
Dont take the brains of a mathematician to work around that one!

if he really wants to do engineering make sure he passes his gcses and picks right courses in a level. i see what you are saying as in if he has interest he should get to do the yr courses 9 but in the long run it wont matter. as long as he passes his gcse and a levels he should be alright
gunRAR
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Danger is that in the past forcing working class kids down the 'vocational' route has limited their opportunities. We don't want to go back to a grammar school type system where the 'clever' kids go to one place and do a-levels and the others go to another place for vocational courses. Especially when usually the measure of 'cleverness' seems more closely linked to your parents' salary than to test results.

Some people seem to see vocational courses as somewhere to dump the more challenging students that they don't want in the classroom..
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to The Big Debate