The Y-Word

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

The Y-Word

Postby gzagee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:22 pm

This subject matter is so controversial and takes on another guise in football becuase whilst the majority of fans and people in general find the term Y*d offensive it is countered by the fact that Spuds call themselves the "Y*d Army".

I've personally stopped using the term as it is offensive to every Jewish person.
However many an old-school supporter still use the term to address Spuds (and defend this by saying Spuds fans use it to define themselves), whilst some younger ones use it without knowing just how deep the term is.

Anyways there's a video to go with it. I think it's a good idea but with most things in fan culture these things are deeply entrenched and porbably won't be eradicated.

What's your opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvJC1_hKt8&feature=player_embedded

Frank Lampard, Ledley King and Kieran Gibbs appear in a new film launched today (14 April) aimed at tackling anti-Semitism and anti-Jewish abuse in football.

The film, entitled The Y-Word, has been written and produced by David and Ivor Baddiel, in conjunction with Kick It Out, football’s equality and inclusion campaign, Maccabi GB, Community Security Trust, The Shoresh Foundation and Fahrenheit Films.

Awareness
“The film is not intended to censor football fans,” said David. “It's simply to raise awareness that the y-word is - and has been for many, many years - a race hate word. It's our belief that some football fans may not even realise this, and the film is designed therefore to inform and raise debate."

The minute-long film explores the use of the word ‘***’ by football supporters. Gary Lineker, England women’s star Rachel Yankey and Zesh Rehman, the Premier League’s first British Asian player, also feature in the film.

Lord Herman Ouseley, Chair of Kick It Out, said: “This film will form a key part of the organisation’s education work on matters around anti-Semitism.”

The film has already received widespread support from London’s Premier League clubs ahead of its debut screening.

Debate
Tottenham Hotspur Executive Director, Donna Cullen, said: “It is unthinkable and wholly unacceptable that, in this day and age, supporters are subjected to anti-Semitic abuse such as hissing to imitate the gas chambers used during the Holocaust in the Second World War.

“We look forward to an informed and proper debate with Kick It Out, stakeholders and the key authorities to raise greater awareness and put in place the stringent measures needed to stop anti-Semitic abuse in football. We are committed to eliminating all forms of racism and we shall support efforts to kick anti-Semitism out of the game.”

Chelsea Chairman, Bruce Buck, commented: “Chelsea FC has been campaigning about issues around anti-Semitism for many years. We have, and always will, take the strongest possible action against anyone found making any kind of discriminatory chant or taunt. It is great to see the football world come together to support a project that will raise awareness of the problem.”

Backing
Arsenal Chief Executive, Ivan Gazidis, said: “Arsenal FC supports any initiative designed to reduce exclusion. The club works hard under the ‘Arsenal for Everyone’ banner on a range of issues aimed at increasing equality and inclusion. Given the club's proximity to some of the country’s largest Jewish communities, stamping out anti-Semitism is something we have, historically, paid particular attention to and applaud Kick It Out in this new method of tackling it.”

Governing bodies have also pledged their backing, with FA General Secretary, Alex Horne, saying: "The FA is delighted to support the film and we hope that it has a positive impact in educating football fans on anti-Semitic behaviour. The 'think again' message is clear for those who use chants such as the y-word. We are committed to football for all and our overall aim is to make football stadiums family friendly and open to everyone."

Zero-tolerance
Deputy Chief Executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association, Bobby Barnes, said: “The PFA has a zero-tolerance stance to all forms of racism, bigotry and hatred and this includes all forms of anti-Semitism. Chants and songs are a part of football culture but we will not condone any form of chanting that causes offence to players or the majority of supporters who go to the game to enjoy football, not to create trouble.”

Chairman of the Football League, Greg Clarke, gave the film his backing: “There is no place for any form of racism in football and we welcome this initiative on anti-Semitism by Kick It Out. Football League clubs are committed to creating safe, family friendly environments at their grounds and they will not tolerate this kind of behaviour.”

John Mann MP, Chair of The FA Working Group on tackling anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in football, added: "The Y-Word is a powerful and important film which demonstrates that footballers from many different backgrounds have complete contempt for racist taunts, whoever the victim. I know The FA take these matters seriously and have been pleased with their efforts to implement the recommendations of my report on tackling anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in football.”

http://www.kickitout.org/1307.php

David Baddiel on why he made the video:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13087943.stm
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: The Y-Word

Postby StLGooner » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. :)

I use it when talking about the scum, but I'd never use it toward a real ***.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trequartista » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Just because the scum use it themselves doesn't make it acceptable because the vast majority of them are not Jewish in anyway. I have heard several Jews saying they find it highly offensive although I must admit I wasn't aware of this untill very recently. Racial chantting etc is not tollerared in any other form and I can't see any difference here.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

The Y-Word

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:33 pm

I purposefully never use it, Spuds is a less offensive alternative.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Hmmm....

I presume the "sssssssssssss" sound that Arsenal fans use toward the filth is under scrutiny as well?

The bindippers will love this, as will those Londoners that call themselves Mancs.

Best ban all references to "Boxing Day" as well while we're at it.

Prostitutes must also have their references banned, along with swamps, cess pits, shadows, and while we're at it, laughing too.

By the way, I find Woolwich offensive, where do I start my Court action?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:58 am

Maybe they should start campaigning about the way sp**s fans call themselves *** army! surely that is racist towards jews as well?

Granted some of the chants aimed towards sp**s are disgraceful, but i dont see a problem with the word '***' itself.
The scum often refer to us as 'Goners' i find that offensive, worse still the paedo chants aimed at Wenger & the rapist ones aimed at Van Persie, but i dont hear anyone kicking up a fuss in protest of that!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Trequartista » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:03 am

In fairness, the inclusion of the Spuds player in the campaign video makes it clear that they are against the use of the word by all people, in all circumstances and that they feel it has no place in the game along with the other racial words which are thankfully so stigmatised today.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:07 pm

I have never used that word, the only people I know who use it are my 3 Spurs supporting mate although they say it with pride rather than out of prejudice.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TRA Dial Square » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:42 pm

I mean this w/ NO disrespect whatsoever but doesn't this fall in the same lines as when some black people (Especially in the U.S) Call each other or themselves the "N" word?

But God forbid if a white person were to call a black person a "N" there'd be literal bloody murder...

It's defined as racism but that particular word actually means "Ignorant" so I say let 'em call themselves it all they want... It's normally the "ghetto rapstars" that use it anyway.

In terms of the word "y*d" though; I think Spuds fans themselves should also be banned from using it; because I'm assuming less than 50% of them are genuinely Jewish anyway? :dontknow:
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:25 pm

TRA Dial Square wrote:I mean this w/ NO disrespect whatsoever but doesn't this fall in the same lines as when some black people (Especially in the U.S) Call each other or themselves the "N" word?

But God forbid if a white person were to call a black person a "N" there'd be literal bloody murder...

It's defined as racism but that particular word actually means "Ignorant" so I say let 'em call themselves it all they want... It's normally the "ghetto rapstars" that use it anyway.

This.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Van The Man Persie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Never used it.

Never will.

Mainly cos i have no idea what it means and think its a shit insult anyway
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:32 pm

I wouldnt call a *** a *** because it is offensive.

But I would call a spud a ***, precicely because it is offensive.

They deserve nothing but abuse.

Its got nothing to do with antisemitism. Its got everything to do with f***ing off the Middlesex Filth any way we see fit.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Zedie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:45 am

Theres no room for it anywhere inside or outside the game. I could only imagine if a football team adopted the N word as a byword for their team.

I would f***ing kick off.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:55 am

Zedie wrote:Theres no room for it anywhere inside or outside the game. I could only imagine if a football team adopted the N word as a byword for their team.

I have to agree with Zedie here. Ok I know its been used for years and it is not meant as a religious slur, but if some people find it offensive then it shouldn't be used.
I personally don't find it offensive in any way but then again I am Catholic.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Zedie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:24 am

Fabrestuta wrote:
Zedie wrote:Theres no room for it anywhere inside or outside the game. I could only imagine if a football team adopted the N word as a byword for their team.

I have to agree with Zedie here. Ok I know its been used for years and it is not meant as a religious slur, but if some people find it offensive then it shouldn't be used.
I personally don't find it offensive in any way but then again I am Catholic.

Not exactly regarding the Y word, but i had a profound experience while on the train home a few years ago. England were playing Scotland at Wembley in an evening kick off, so leaving from Baker St, just before kick off, you'd expect loads of supporters on their way to the stadium.

This was the case and the carrage i got on had a few random commuters on their way home from work. Next minute, a proper match day crowd came down the stairs (98% England fans) pissed up and boarded the train. The carraige was absolutely rammo, no space to move.

Now obviously they were a loud lot and there was singing all the way from Baker st to Wembley. As the fans went through the standard set of songs, a few guys started singing 'I would rather be a P**i than a Jock'. I dont know if it was a mob mentality, a general indefference or some being scared to buck the trend, but practically the whole carriage started singing this f***ing song at the top of their lungs.

As i stood there fuming at this blatant racism, all i could look at was an Asian woman sitting down looking understandably petrifed with what was going on around her. All i could think about was telling them all to f**k right off but i didnt have the balls to say it, because i was probably imagining my life ending in that carrage if i did (being the 1 black guy in a sea white faces!).

They all pissed off at Wembley as if nothing had happened, but to this day, i can remember that woman's face as she tried to hold it together after the train started moving again. All i could do was smile at her and say "i really hope they lose now".

Basically, its a long way of saying that regardless of whether or not you understand how deeply someone can be offended by words, those words that are being spoken could potentially hurt someone to their very core.

Ive probably used the Y word in the context of the Spuds, but wont be doing it again because for however many hundreds of true Spuds fans there are, there are millions of Jewish people out there that would probably feel the same way as that Asian woman felt, even if you did use it in jest.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to The Big Debate