Sex education to 5yr olds in school

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Sex education to 5yr olds in school

Postby Trina » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:39 am

I saw this yesterday on This Morning, here is a bit from the Daily Mail on it.

Explicit cartoons, films and books have been cleared for use to teach sex education to schoolchildren as young as five.

A disturbing dossier exposes a wide range of graphic resources recommended for primary school lessons.

The shocking material – promoted by local councils and even the BBC – teaches youngsters about adult language and sexual intercourse.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1GC3FxxTY

Personally I think its absolutely shocking!!! In no way in 1 years time is Callum ready for this! If possible I WILL be pulling Callum out of that class. The image ive posted below is just unreal. I mean saying parents are having sex when there cuddling?

A few months back I told Shannon about sex, pregnancy etc. She is 12 next month, she is maturing, intrested in boys now so I knew it was the right time to talk to her about it. But thats the problem I have, I think 5 is way too young. Parents know when its time to have that talk with their child, all kids develop at different stages.

Heres some material they are wanting to give to 5 year olds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Sex education to 5yr olds in school

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Shite.

Sorry, don't believe that.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby TheLittleMozart » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Absolutley ridiculous... 5 years old waaaaaaay to young to understand this!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Trina » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Don't beleive what Inch? Its not just in the papers, its been on the news and morning programmes.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 pm

No this has to be the Daily Mail trolling, twisting things way out of context. In fact reading it there is nothing to suggest it is imminent or will be forced, in fact the quotes don't really clarify anything, it is all shock mongering.

Not only is there the age issue there is also the lesson control issue. I work in a class of 8/9 year olds and last week I had to save photographs of sculptures and save them on a powerpoint for the whiteboard. The kids were looking while I was surfing and 1 of them was an African tribal warrior with their manhood showing. This caused a fit of laughter and silliness which took ages to calm down. In the end I dismissed the picture and used another.

If a teacher had to show and teach this for any extended period of time the lesson would be a farce. My class are no where near sensible enough to deal with this let alone get the right things out of it. If the headteachers and teachers have the ultimate say I cannot see this happening.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Trina wrote:Don't beleive what Inch? Its not just in the papers, its been on the news and morning programmes.

It is on guardian education which is credible although I didn't read anything about it in the last couple of TES editions. It says it is "recommended" by a "number" of councils (and the phrase number suggests a small amount) but I would like to know how many schools out of that amount have actually decided to use them. That is the most key question which has been ignored.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:54 pm

My daughter is nearly 8, and she's nowhere near ready to be learning about this sort of thing - It's hard enough explaining the changes going on as it is without trying to complicate matters by teaching her things that she really doesn't need to know about.

As far as she's concerned, there's a difference between boys and girls, and that's why boys stand up to have a wee.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby StLGooner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:58 pm

5 is too young imo, but I was told when I was 6, by the neighbors kid who was 11 or 12, so when my parents finally had the convo with me, I was like "duh, I already know this shit". :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Trina wrote:Don't beleive what Inch? Its not just in the papers, its been on the news and morning programmes.

I don't believe that it's a true story.

The number of TV/radio stations that decided to run with this story doesn't add any credibility to it whatsoever.
TV and radio stations often have absolutely f**k ALL to talk about and they're desperate for a really controversial story that gets their listeners/viewers calling in with outraged opinions.
The Daily Fail will often deliver that for them. It's their forte basically.

The media will completely ignore the fact that the story isn't true or isn't supported by any evidence because that isn't important to them. They need viewers/listeners and that's what matters.
They usually cover themselves by saying "It's been reported in the Daily Mail today that..." instead of just saying "Your kids will definitely be taught this stuff."
That way when it turns out to be shite they can just say "We never said that, we only reported what The Mail said."

Personally, I have no kids so I have no emotional connection to this issue but I find it extremely hard to believe that a Conservative government (emphasis on the word conservative) is going to allow five year olds to read things like this:

"Your Dad's penis moved inside your mum's vagina"
"Prostitute - paying for sex etc. etc."
"Masturbation - when people rub their own genitals"

Are you seriously telling me that a five year-old is going to know what the word genitals means? Or even penis and vagina?
Even if you told them those words how long could they really retain them for?
It's a wind-up imo.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:28 pm

All i can say is im glad we live in NZ (and in the dark ages so to speek to the rest of the western world)the people who come up with these f***wit ideas and also run these storys do any of them have children?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 pm

I don't believe it either, someone is having a laugh.

Sex is one thing, prostitution is another and that is showing both.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gunner Down Under » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 pm

When I was in school we were being taught this in Year 7 (first year of high school) and there were still splutters and giggles around the classroom

It should be kept for the first year of high school not the first year of school.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Teaching a 5 year old the very basics of how a baby gets there is one thing. Its a question some may ask especially if they have a baby brother or sister born around that time as many may do. Teaching them the meanings of things like homosexuality, masturbation and prostitution at that age is another. I suspect some of the article is sensationalisation but its certainly true sex ed is going to change and be taught from the age of 5. When the twins get to that age i would want to know what exactly they will be taught before they sit in on any sex ed lessons.

Teaching year 6 sex ed we gave the parents the option of watching the video we were using. Very few, if any, took us up on it but i'm darn sure there would have been more had these kids been 5 not 11.

Let kids be kids for as long as possible. They don't need to know all this stuff. You just have to find the optimum age to tell them before they learn it all wrongly from their mates in the playground.

(i remember getting confused at the age of 11 between the words 'Protestant' and 'Prostitute'... :redface: )
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 am

Gooner Girl wrote:Teaching a 5 year old the very basics of how a baby gets there is one thing. Its a question some may ask especially if they have a baby brother or sister born around that time as many may do.

All of our bar the little one have asked how babies get there, and they've all been told in very basic terms about seeds and eggs, nothing more than that. Egg grows, and out comes Victoria. Simple.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:10 am

Gooner Girl wrote:Let kids be kids for as long as possible. They don't need to know all this stuff. You just have to find the optimum age to tell them before they learn it all wrongly from their mates in the playground.

Agreed.

What use is sex education to a child that can't even comprehend sex and (hopefully) won't be having it for another ten or more years?

SE13 wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:Teaching a 5 year old the very basics of how a baby gets there is one thing. Its a question some may ask especially if they have a baby brother or sister born around that time as many may do.

All of our bar the little one have asked how babies get there, and they've all been told in very basic terms about seeds and eggs, nothing more than that. Egg grows, and out comes Victoria. Simple.

That's enough, why not leave it at that?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Return to The Big Debate