UK Census

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Will you partake?

Yes, cos it's vital they know everything about me
43%
No, not a chance! Find me then fine me, see if I care!
43%
Dunno your honour. I'm on the fence
No votes
Shut up gza! Find summats else to grumble about!!
14%

Total votes : 7

UK Census

Postby gzagee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Every ten years since its conception in 1801 (bar WW2 i think) the Govt have undertaken this survey to make sure they know as much about us as is humanly possible, and then prints the results in Office for National Statistics website.

Are you happy to take part in this exercise, never mind that it's a legal requirement that will penalise you £1000 if you forget or simply refuse to do it (even though thousands didn't take part in 2001, but less than 50 people got fined).

Apparently the costs are spiralling out of control and word is this is the last of it's kind (before they think up another way in which to keep tabs on us).

This article is from last year but with the 27th March 2011 date upcoming i thought i'd post it

2011 census creates 35,000 UK jobs - but government already counting cost
The Office for National Statistics is recruiting temporary workers for the 2011 census of England and Wales – but spiralling costs mean it could be the last

The inexorable march towards public sector job cuts will be checked at least temporarily today when a recruitment drive is launched to hire about 35,000 temporary workers to help gather and process data for the 2011 census in England and Wales.

The jobs, both full-time and part-time will be spread across the regions according to population density. The 2011 census will be held on 27 March and is set to be the biggest population survey undertaken in the British Isles, involving 25m households.

It could also be the last of its kind. Censuses are traditionally held in the second year of every decade in England and Wales, with separate surveys for Scotland and Northern Ireland. But although this will be the first time the census can be completed online, administration costs have spiralled to an estimated £480m, from £210m in 2001. Earlier this year, cabinet office minister Francis Maude announced plans to scrap the 2021 census altogether, assuming the Conservatives remain in power.

Although a third of forms are expected to be completed online, some of the 35m questionnaires will be distributed by hand and by post. Census staff will visit households that do not return the questionnaire, which is a legal obligation.

"The census is not just about counting people, the information it provides is needed to plan vital services like schools, hospitals, housing, roads and emergency services," said Glen Watson, census director at the Office for National Statistics (ONS). "We need to give people help and support to complete and return the census questionnaire and this means recruiting the right people for this important nationwide project."

Advertised roles will include census coordinators, who will help to manage local teams; census collectors, who will provide help and support on the doorstep; and special enumerators, who will be responsible for communal establishments including care homes, hotels and student halls of residence. Application details are available at http://www.ons.gov.uk.

Last year, census planners came under criticism from then-opposition Conservative shadow ministers over plans to ask respondents to disclose the number of bedrooms in each house, and details of any guests staying overnight on 27 March 2011.

For the first time, the 2011 census will also include questions relevant to civil partnerships, ask migrants their date of arrival and how long they intend to stay in the UK, and will require respondents to disclose which passports they hold.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/oc ... 35000-jobs
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: UK Census

Postby GunnGunn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

I chose option number 2.

f***ing f***ers.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Forest » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Waste of time, by the time all the data is counted, put in to stats and analysed, 4/5 years have passed.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Actually, it takes them about 18 months to get all the data together as a rule.

As for the census itself, when I filled the last one in, there were three of us living in decent conditions in this very house, there are now seven of us cramped in squalor.

Police funding, council tax and I don't know what else are calculated from the data gathered, so when your local area is short funded, it's generally down to the authorities not knowing where the funds are needed.

Plus most of the information is voluntary, the important bit is filling in how many people are there, so I can't see any big deal.

And, as it's bound to be suggested as it was 10 years ago, they can't calculate numbers from the electoral register as it only counts over 18's and/or those eligible to vote.

If you want to find lost family, all the data is recorded to assist too.

By the way, you can tell I live in the middle of nowhere, I didn't get mine today.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Epic Fail » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm all for it, it's a cracking source of data for historical purposes. :) And, as SE13 says, the use of the data is widespread and more far-reaching (in a good sense) than people think. It's not just about the Gov't spying on us.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby VCC » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:47 am

NZ census has just been canceled due to the Earth quake,there is a silver lining.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:02 pm

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:26 pm

Still not received mine yet. By the sound of it, fairly much the rest of the UK have theirs, just not here.

Thinking about it, there's a group on Facebook urging us to put our religion as Arsenal. I'm all for that!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Forest » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Las time it was Jedi lol.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:10 pm

For anyone filling it in, this is the group: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2 ... 04&index=1

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Massa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 pm

YES I LOVE YOU GSCIPONAV\
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Massa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm

^ That was meant to be in the Barca thread :lol:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:04 am

Just noticed ours, must of come yesterday.

I told our lass to fill it in or throw it in the bin, doesn't bother me which. She was all 'oh bu it's the law blah blah'. Who gives a f**k, I'll say I didn't know.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Haven't got mine yet.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Epic Fail » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 pm

Mine arrived today.