Irish election

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Irish election

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Irish gooners

Are you happy to see Fianna Fail get annihilated?

Do you think the Fine Gael/Labour coalition will be any better?

Will labour be able to influence Fine Gael better than the Lib Dems have the Tories?

Are you just disillusioned with it all?

I am following the election although I don't know anything about Irish politics so and am interested to hear what our Irish members think.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Irish election

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:14 am

Ireland hasn't had a majority rule in God knows how long. Fine Gael/Labour/Fianna Failure, it doesn't make any difference. Ireland sold it's sold to Brussels (thank you Mary Robinson you absolute c***), the country is owned by the EU, it doesn't matter who is in power.

It breaks my heart to say that.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I am sorry that is the situation Fabs. Fianna fail seems to have done better than expected.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Irish_Gooner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 pm

So many are voting outta spite for the Fianna Failers. I wont deny that I was the same. Im all for second chances but not for this Fianna Fáil party which really did drag the country into the shits.

Fine Gael will bring in many cuts and harsh decisions. The public sector will have to be cut by 30,000 in order to make 100,000 jobs (which in theory brings the unemployment below the more respectable 10%)

A Fine Gael/Labour coalition has the potential to be stronger than the Lib Dems and Tories purely in terms of numbers. Fianna Fail and the Greens only had an extra six seats whereas this coalition will have a 30 plus Labour seats.

In have no political ideologies or affiliations....I just see this as a nice change and the exact outcome Fianna FAIL have deserved for the last few months. I love democracy
Irish_Gooner - Once a gooner, always a gooner. Follow me on twitter @Oisgreg
Irish_Gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby shamrock11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Fine Gael the dirty bastards bringing in a rule you have to pay back a third of you college fees
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I have been reading a few articles about Irish politics and the recent years and also alot of Irish opinion and I am suprised that Fianna Fail got as many votes/seats that they did. The sense I get is that they have put Ireland in the s*** (which we all knew) but also that they have completely destroyed the Irish sense of national pride.

Irish gooner: Out of spite? Do they hate Fine Gael so much that they will endorse what I read many Irish folk refer to as the great humiliation.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Gunflash » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Fianna Fail took one hell of a beating. They've been in power too long anyway and showed all the signs of a long-serving government - arrogance, complacency, hubris, intellectual and moral decay. Just like Labour in their twilight years in office and the Tories back in the mid-nineties. It's up to the voters but, objectively, no party should be in power for as long as they have been.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Bumping for this year's for the Irish members of the forum.

The big question is: Will we see a Fine Fail coalition? :)
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:38 pm

I like their parliamentary system. More accountable and more democratic than ours.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Sound's like Edna's in trouble, and not just about his name!
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Return to The Big Debate