Is it right sex offenders get the right to appeal?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Postby gzagee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:20 am

The Supreme Courts have decided anyone on the Sex offenders list will be given the Right to Appeal to be removed from the Sex Offenders Register for life if they've served at least 30 months of their prison sentence. These include rapists and paedophiles.

I think it's a dangerous precedent, no matter how much they deliberated of this decision.

I believe Scotland has already changed its law to accomodate this.

What do you's reckon?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:42 am

This some sort of joke :think:
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Is it right sex offenders get the right to appeal?

Postby whee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 am

I think it's definitely the 'right' thing that they get the right to appeal.

I think it should also be right, that these appeals are rejected as standard.

The previous sex offenders who do appeal will have to prove (how exactly I don't know) that they're no longer a threat to women/children.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 am

how is it these sick f***s get looked after its the same in New Zealand. shoot the f***ers and let them choose the ammo, dune deal.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Yes, I think they should get the right, not all sex offenders are rapist, and molesters ya know. You can be considered a sex offender if you got caught naked in public or something like that, or you could be 18 and had sex with your girlfriend thats 17 and she was under age, and her parents pressed charges. How is it fair to be labeled a sex offender the rest of your life because of that? Point being, there are some crimes that are labeled as sex offender crimes, but aren't necessarily that bad, and what most people think a sex offender is. At least thats how it is over here.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Libertine » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:04 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Yes, I think they should get the right, not all sex offenders are rapist, and molesters ya know. You can be considered a sex offender if you got caught naked in public or something like that, or you could be 18 and had sex with your girlfriend thats 17 and she was under age, and her parents pressed charges. How is it fair to be labeled a sex offender the rest of your life because of that? Point being, there are some crimes that are labeled as sex offender crimes, but aren't necessarily that bad, and what most people think a sex offender is. At least thats how it is over here.

Same over here CV22
Having a piss in public could lead to a charge of indecent exposure, which would put you on the sex offenders list.
So getting caught short on the way home from the pub could have you labelled a sex case.
Although i already thought you had the right of appeal to be removed from it..... :dontknow:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

All those things are true, but what this bill proposes is that people who have served a 30 month sentence have a right to appeal. That means they did more than get caught with their trousers down or pee in public. They were convicted of a sex offence. In that regard they certainly do not deserve to have a right to appeal to be taken off the sex offenders list.

A rapist or molester is still a rapist or molester, 30 months in jail does not change that fact.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:All those things are true, but what this bill proposes is that people who have served a 30 month sentence have a right to appeal. That means they did more than get caught with their trousers down or pee in public. They were convicted of a sex offence. In that regard they certainly do not deserve to have a right to appeal to be taken off the sex offenders list.

A rapist or molester is still a rapist or molester, 30 months in jail does not change that fact.

Thats how i read it...

As you said, you don't go to jail for over 2 years for getting caught with your pisser out...

Some people don't even get that for proper sex crimes.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:All those things are true, but what this bill proposes is that people who have served a 30 month sentence have a right to appeal. That means they did more than get caught with their trousers down or pee in public. They were convicted of a sex offence. In that regard they certainly do not deserve to have a right to appeal to be taken off the sex offenders list.

If its something like that then yes I agree. Maybe they should not slap the "sex offender" tag on the lesser crimes then.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:32 pm

ChVint22 wrote:

If its something like that then yes I agree. Maybe they should not slap the "sex offender" tag on the lesser crimes then.

Yeah I'd agree with that. You can't paint all people with the same brush.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:08 pm

The right to appeal is always a good thing, it should go hand in hand with common sense from a judge though.

The sex offender list can keep you paying for your crime after you have done your time. A murderer doesn't go on a "murderers list" or a serial con artist doesn't go on a "con artist list" (which I think they should make btw) yet there is a sex offenders list. Is it always right that everyone on that list is forever associated with their crime? If no then appeals are a good thing.

Of course the list was made for good reason and some sex crimes deserve the public being warned but is every sex crime worthy of the permanent tag that you cannot escape from after you have done your time? If you are going to give warn lists to the public I would much rather know about a serial con artist or someone with a serious tendency to commit random serious violence than a 16 year old who had sex with their 15 year old girlfriend (or any other example which raises the point).
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:37 pm

over here getting your pisser out doesnt constitute a sex offense,it is more a nuisence offence.one thing this list does is give a network to other sex offenders to operate within like paedophila is this list public so these sick f**ks can access other sick f**ks.but as i said serious rapists paedophiles child sex offenders give them a bullet
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Artemis8 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:38 pm

whee wrote:I think it's definitely the 'right' thing that they get the right to appeal.

I think it should also be right, that these appeals are rejected as standard.

The previous sex offenders who do appeal will have to prove (how exactly I don't know) that they're no longer a threat to women/children.

+1
:clap:
Artemis8
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby ManicDefender » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 am

Also +1 on that one.

For actual rapists/paedophile, they will always be a risk to society. Just look at the statistics. Most of them go on to re-offend at some point or another. Screw the appeal!

As for getting your willy out and showing the world. If you're placed on the list for something like that, then yeah I guess appealing to come off the register would be okay (after all, who hasn't made silly mistakes in life?)
ManicDefender
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Return to The Big Debate