Feminism gone too far? Agree or Disagree?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Feminism gone too far? Agree or Disagree?

Postby gzagee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Dominic Raab: men should ‘burn their briefs’ in protest at ‘obnoxious feminist bigots’

Down-trodden men should ‘burn their briefs’ in protest at the ‘obnoxious bigotry’ of feminists, a Conservative MP has said.

Dominic Raab criticised equalities chiefs for ignoring “flagrant discrimination” against male workers, claiming that men were now getting a “raw deal” in many areas of life.
The 36-year-old MP for Esher and Walton made his remarks in an article on the Government’s plan to extend paternity leave for new fathers, saying that this was an area in which the last, Labour government had let men down.
He suggested that, like the feminists who burned their bras in the 1970s, men should start “burning their briefs” to draw attention to discrimination against men.
In an article for the PoliticsHome website, he called for more family-friendly policies rather than those to promote female workers, saying: "While we have some of the toughest anti-discrimination laws in the world, we are blind to some of the most flagrant discrimination – against men.
"From the cradle to the grave, men are getting a raw deal. Men work longer hours, die earlier, but retire later than women.

"One reason women are left 'holding the baby' is anti-male discrimination in rights of maternity/paternity leave ...
"Meanwhile, young boys are educationally disadvantaged compared to girls, and divorced or separated fathers are systematically ignored by the courts."
Female MPs criticised Mr Raab, a former chief of staff to David Davis, the Conservative leadership candidate.
Harriet Harman, the former equalities minister, said: "Women still earn 20 per cent less than men, domestic violence claims the lives of women every week and women bear the brunt of poverty in the developing world."
Nia Griffith, the shadow business minister, called on Mr Raab to "get real and stop being so self-pitying”.
"The reality is that women with very good qualifications time and time again do not get the top jobs and opportunities," she said.
Kate Green, chairman of the Women's Parliamentary Labour Party, said: "The equality and diversity agenda put in place by Labour has been hugely important in levelling the playing field for millions of people in the workplace and we need to ensure we continue to build on its success."
Mr Raab, whose wife, Erika works, in marketing for a major IT firm, also said that there was “more subtle sexism" in play in society, which led to men being subjected to broad negative generalisations.
He wrote: "Men caused the banking crisis. Men earn more because they are more assertive in pay negotiations … "Can you imagine the outrage if such trite generalisations were made about women, or other minorities?
"Feminists are now amongst the most obnoxious bigots. You can't have it both ways. Either you believe in equality or you don't.
"If you buy into the whole Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus theory of gender difference – with all its pseudo science – you can't then complain about inequalities of outcome that flow both ways from those essentially sexist distinctions."
The MP suggested that it was now "almost taboo" for a man to question whether the "rapidly dwindling" pay gap was down to discrimination, or "genuine choice".
"Britain's not perfect, and we will never eradicate all human prejudice," he went on.
"But, we have reached a stage where the differences between men and women in our society are less reflective of overt discrimination, and more their common challenge of trying to find the right way to earn a decent quality of life for their family, whilst sparing some time to enjoy it.
"That means taking a consistent approach to equality, ditching outdated gender warfare and finding practical solutions to the challenges couples go through together."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... igots.html
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Feminism gone too far? Agree or Disagree?

Postby StLGooner » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:05 pm

He should just feel lucky he wasn't born a woman, or he'd have to give birth, bleed for a week each month, and take it up the poop shoot whenever his husband asked. That is enough right there to make me not want to ever complain about this. :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:26 pm

"Either you believe in equality or you don't" <<< sums it up really.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:16 am

ChVint22 wrote:and take it up the poop shoot whenever her husband asked.

How do i persuade my bird to do this? Of course, i'll have to untie her from the kitchen sink first........ :lipssealed: :redface:

Sorry, i'm only joking ladies.
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:26 am

It's spelled poop chute, actually.

I should know.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Gooner Girl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 pm

agree with the bit about men having a raw deal when wantiung access to see their kids after divorce etc but the rest is total rubbish IMHO. Just look at all this fuss about a female lino.
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:20 pm

And there's no way i'm gonna burn my briefs.......i only have a couple of decent pairs left.
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Artemis8 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 am

The word "Feminism" promotes segregation of the sexes. There's no "Manism", is there?

Surely it should be called Equality :dontknow:
Artemis8

Postby TheLittleMozart » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Bicthes be crazy....
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fabrestuta » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:06 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:Bicthes be crazy....

:grin:
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Most adverts aimed at women seem to be sexist against men. I dont know if thats cos thats how women genuinely feel or just because of lazy cliched avertisers.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby ProudGooner » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm

women have way too many rights already. The more we give them the more greedy and ungrateful they become.

For fack sake we allow them to drive cars (now that is a facking hazard), let them vote, give them a share in inheritence that they dont deserve and the one that really pisses me off is the divorce law where by they get to keep half of a man's wealth for ironing his shirt, putting a kettle on every now and again and cooking some food.

For fack sake what the hell is wrong with the world? We even allow them to own football forums on the internet yet they are still not happy. Women need to ask themselves did they prefer the times when we use to drag them out of our caves by pulling their hair?
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby mg86 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Est83 wrote:"Either you believe in equality or you don't" <<< sums it up really.

Thank you sir.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gzagee » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Est83 wrote:"Either you believe in equality or you don't" <<< sums it up really.

Do you also agree to the sentence before that: "Feminists are now amongst the most obnoxious bigots. You can't have it both ways. Either you believe in equality or you don't"?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Est83 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

gzagee wrote:

Do you also agree to the sentence before that: "Feminists are now amongst the most obnoxious bigots. You can't have it both ways. Either you believe in equality or you don't"?

To some extent. I don't want to generalise but it's true that some femenists (although I'm with Youngie on his thoughts on the name "femenist"... (see above)) are simply hypocrites. It's not just turning their nose up at chivalry or refusing to accept that men and women have different advantages and different flaws (simple biology!!!), some are just hateful and militant! You can't combat sexism with sexism, racism with racism, etc etc. Although I do think these femenists are a minority.

All the lines are blurred these days anyway... men spend more time infront of the mirror than women! Wearing pink, plucking eyebrows. Women running football forums ;) Soon no generalisation or stereotype will hold any truth! So you'd think that that would effect how men and women are seen in the work place. Because really that's what it's all about, financial equality! No-one would give a shit about subtle sexism if everyone was paid equally.

But on a serious note... you're at work, a female colleague gets a pay rise or a promotion of some kind. How can you be sure that it's not bullshit positive descrimination? Could you ever see yourself seriously claiming to be a victim of sexism? Whether this sexism against men is growing or not it'll have to be pretty damn obvious for anything to be done about it, because I can't see myself or any other guy I know burning briefs!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Next

Return to The Big Debate