NHS reforms

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

NHS reforms

Postby gzagee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Seems like Andrew Lansley MP wants to create a two-tier system for NHS services. He says it ain't; that its about service imporvement and accountability.
What strikes me is the Lib Dems said they would not be up for reformation of the NHS in their election manifesto yet, now elected they seem to have backed down or even lied about their conviction.
The Tories, well they're Tories innit so no surprises there.

This however does take me back to a conversation with a former girlfriend who was a MD and she said it was only a matter of time before NHS would be privatised. She told me the govt cannot continue to prop up the services which in many folks' opinion was shoddy anyhow. This was when Labour were in power, though she said it wouldn't happen under Labour but it wasn't as far off happening as peeps thought.

It is heresy to imagine hospital services being tendered out to private firms but, with the way the incumbent govt are going on with cutbacks, they're looking to make it a plausible option.
And when you consider the Tory Party being 'gifted' donations from individuals like John Nash, Dolar Popat and others with vested interests in healthcare it doesn't take a genius to work out what plans may be underfoot.

My question is:
do you think the NHS should be reformed i.e. two tier or fully privatised or, should it remain public property?

Please discuss.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: NHS reforms

Postby Dejan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:51 pm

sorry, whats NHS? i have no clue what ur saying :lol:
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Forest » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Dejan wrote:sorry, whats NHS? i have no clue what ur saying :lol:

National Health Service - Health care basically.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:14 pm

You're heading our direction... and we're headed your's...

Funny isn't it.

Makes you wonder why anybody over here thinks we'll be able to make it work, when you guys are struggling so much to fund it. And our tax rates are much lower are they not?
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 pm

If it had to be then two tier and income related. Make the rich pay for the things they can afford and protect the poor from being turned away from hospital doors.

tbf, if we start going down that road, it wont be too long before full privatisation is put upon us.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Zedie wrote:If it had to be then two tier and income related. Make the rich pay for the things they can afford and protect the poor from being turned away from hospital doors.

tbf, if we start going down that road, it wont be too long before full privatisation is put upon us.

The thing with two-tier system is that not only will the rich have to pay more but, as a consequence they will get better, faster service. And it'll be nearer to them as well.
The poor will be left with relatively poor standards of healthcare, and in many cases will probably have to travel further to get healthcare. Those under-performing services will be closed down, and the locals told to travel greater distance to the next site.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 pm

gzagee wrote:
Zedie wrote:If it had to be then two tier and income related. Make the rich pay for the things they can afford and protect the poor from being turned away from hospital doors.

The thing with two-tier system is that not only will the rich have to pay more but, as a consequence they will get better, faster service. And it'll be nearer to them as well.
The poor will be left with relatively poor standards of healthcare, and in many cases will probably have to travel further to get healthcare. Those under-performing services will be closed down, and the locals told to travel greater distance to the next site.

Unless private firms are made to part subsidise the public centres as a condition to practice. IThe two tier system is kinda in place already with most wealthy people using Bupa etc to avoid waiting a year for a routine op in some scabby 50s hospital where the staff cant be arsed, but the private firms dont pay any significant fees towards public health care from what i know.

To me, if you can afford the best, pay for it. If you cant, take whats available. Everyone wants a Bentley, but not many people can buy one.

In regards to the general standards in the NHS atm, we already suffer poor conditions as it is with closures happening left right and centre. Ive heard and experienced some horror situations while in hospitals and that wont change anytime soon with the budget cuts biting ever deeper....
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Zedie wrote:
gzagee wrote:

Unless private firms are made to part subsidise the public centres as a condition to practice. IThe two tier system is kinda in place already with most wealthy people using Bupa etc to avoid waiting a year for a routine op in some scabby 50s hospital where the staff cant be arsed, but the private firms dont pay any significant fees towards public health care from what i know.

To me, if you can afford the best, pay for it. If you cant, take whats available. Everyone wants a Bentley, but not many people can buy one.

In regards to the general standards in the NHS atm, we already suffer poor conditions as it is with closures happening left right and centre. Ive heard and experienced some horror situations while in hospitals and that wont change anytime soon with the budget cuts biting ever deeper....

That looks like what's gonna happen. The big players in the Private Healthcare Industry have already aligned themselves with the Tories.
Once NHS contracts go to tender the preferred provider list will come into play.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:47 pm

It'll be like the world cup bidding prossess all over again.

Just sub Sepp Blatter for the Tories and Qatar/Russia for the fat cat Eton torie boys linked with Cameron and his cronies.

The Lib Dems can play the role of France during Nazi Germany''s push into Europe and bend over.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby TheLittleMozart » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:29 am

I'll be the first to admit that i dont understand the whole thing fully but from what I've gatherd.... They are wanting to cut out all the administration folk and give all thats reponsability to the local GP's?

Surley this will be a recipe for disaster as the sheer workload alone will destroy these 'family practices' and they'll be forced to use private firms to help with all the admin work.... GP's are there to diagnose and treat people. Thats all, nothing more and nothing less.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:20 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:I'll be the first to admit that i dont understand the whole thing fully but from what I've gatherd.... They are wanting to cut out all the administration folk and give all thats reponsability to the local GP's?

Surley this will be a recipe for disaster as the sheer workload alone will destroy these 'family practices' and they'll be forced to use private firms to help with all the admin work.... GP's are there to diagnose and treat people. Thats all, nothing more and nothing less.

I believe that may be the end result. As my ex-gf told me; the NHS simply cannot cope.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Return to The Big Debate