Alcoholism

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Alcoholism

Postby gzagee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 am

So Chris does it affect your ability or chances of getting work, seeing as you drove a vehicle in your previous job?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:46 am

Est83 wrote:
Massa wrote:
Est83 wrote:What an interesting night a Gooners World social would to be :lol

We can all come to Birmingham

Meh!

It has to be the captial mate, Arsenal's home! ;)

Chvster came over a few years ago. Had a series of meets with several of us. And stayed at Trina's oop north, where he also met Yorky.

But it was down here that the now legendary truce was called between warring factions Inchy & LRL. I think there's a picture of them shaking hands to authenticate the occasion. :grin:
I think Chvster's being there made him some kind of Kofi Annan!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby SE13 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:27 pm

gzagee wrote:So Chris does it affect your ability or chances of getting work, seeing as you drove a vehicle in your previous job?

Yes it does. The chances of getting my driving licence back are quite slim in the first place, but this must be declared on the medical forms, so this will make it slimmer.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby gzagee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Reminds me of 'hamsterdam' in The Wire. Wouldn't surprise me if that's where they got their inspiration.

‘Wet zone’ plan for St Botolph’s Circus boozers
ALCOHOLICS may be given a corner of Colchester where they will be able to drink in public, free from police action.

Residents say police attempts to clear the St Botolph’s Circus underpass of boozers and drug addicts have failed to stop them intimidating passers-by.

And one woman, drinking in the underpass, admitted to the Gazette police often moved them on, but did little to keep them away. The woman, who did not wish to be named, said she and her friends didn’t want to move from the roundabout, anyway.

A special task force was set up last month with the aim of reducing antisocial behaviour at the roundabout.

Tim Young, Colchester councillor responsible for community safety, said the force – council officers, police and NHS staff – was considering setting up a “wet zone” where alcoholics could congregate.

He added: “We’re going to look at other areas which have tried that as a solution to see if it works.

“If they want to go and drink somewhere and not cause any harm, then perhaps we can find a place for them.

“There’s no long-term future for them at St Botolph’s, because it’s such a public area.”

Mr Young said support would be available for those who wanted it, but warned those who refused would be moved on, or arrested.

He promised: “We will use everything within our means to make that area accessible for the public who need to use it.

“However, I’m not going to tell you there’s a simple solution, because I don’t think there is.”

Insp Adrian Dearsley, of Colchester police, said officers visited the area several times a day, took away alcohol and dealt with other offences they spotted.

He said: “The area had quietened down of late, but it appears the slight increase in temperature is bringing the group back on to the street.

“Two men were arrested last week – one for a breach of his Asbo, and the other in connection with a disturbance in a takeaway shop in Queens Street.”

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/loca ... s_boozers/
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:10 pm

gzagee wrote:
Est83 wrote:
Massa wrote:
Est83 wrote:What an interesting night a Gooners World social would to be :lol

We can all come to Birmingham

Meh!

It has to be the captial mate, Arsenal's home! ;)

Chvster came over a few years ago. Had a series of meets with several of us. And stayed at Trina's oop north, where he also met Yorky.

But it was down here that the now legendary truce was called between warring factions Inchy & LRL. I think there's a picture of them shaking hands to authenticate the occasion. :grin:
I think Chvster's being there made him some kind of Kofi Annan!

A yank bringing peace to England, who would've thought that! :lol: ;)

Tons of pictures in the picture thread of the occasion, and some on my FB page.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby djaxster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:16 pm

My father was never a drinker but my Grandad from my mothers side was.
I was bought up in the era when it was acceptable to drink(70's) and even in the 80's -early90's it weas still acceptable to pop in the pub after work.(Look at every soap on TV has a pub and most characters are in their every day)
I usually drink about 4 cans a night and probably pop into a pub after work once a week. At the weekend (if i am not working)is when i usually cane it.I will usually do at least 6 cans on a Saturday but Sunday is my big sessh. Start at the local rugby club at around 12pm. Have about 4 pints then off to the offie to pick up another 6 to watch the football back home. I have been like this for about 7 years now before that it was about 4 cans everyday.I can goto work every day and do my job with no problem come home have a few beers and a few joints and i am fine. Saturday i will get up and do things like the shopping(Missus works every weekend) and then start drinking but Sunday i cannot wait to get out and meet up with mates for a few beers.
I feel i am more a habit drinker than say what SE13 is going through(Good Luck mate).
TBH i have done most drugs except smack and i was a big coke head for about 5 years until i just knocked on the head and i find that i am not hurting anyone or myself by doing what i do now, but if my health got f***ked up i would stop drinking. I have seen my missus go thorugh a liver transplant which was caused by blood poisioning not Alcohol(altough drink didn't help too much) and she just stopped but now she will have a cheeky one or 2 if we are at a party.

The funny thing is, is that it was said that if Alcohol was discovered today NO goverment would legalize it and it would be a graded drug like smack,Coke or even cannabis.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:02 pm

My parents are alcholics, so is my older brother. Im trying to find something to make them quit, or drink less.
My mom's is the most stubborn one, she's like 20 times more stubborn then Arsene f***ing Wenger. When I ask her why she drinks, she says she needs it and dont want to quit. She also says that im taking everything from her away by tryign to make her stop drinking because i also want my parents to stop smoking. My dad is less stubborn, he says to me that he wants to stop but then he does nothing about it. He is having a serious depression for a year now. So last week he wanted to stop, I think it lasted before 1 day before we had beer in the fridge again, and when i asked why we have alcohol again, my mom said: for emergency for your dad. I think its f***ing bullshit, if u keep taking alcohol, when in an emergency, you will never quit.

My brother is .. I dont know, He drinked pretty much in the last years and he is only 23 now. He wants to quit also(i think). I think since 1 week he is now drinking only in the weekends..

Anyway, i think its f***ing selfish of my parents that they drink/smoke so much. We have financial issues for years now, If they would stop drinking and smoking.. I think we would safe allmost 500 euros per month.. :dontknow:

Any advice apreciated
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby SE13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Dejan wrote:My parents are alcholics

Are you sure about that?

I've explained that there is a massive difference between alcoholic, alcohol dependant (that's me) and people that drink a lot.

You can drink a lot every day, but when you are at the point of needing a drink every day, you're in my area.

To cover again, an alcoholic survives to drink. An alcohol dependant needs drink to survive. Next step is a heavy drinker, but they can go from day to day without a drink, or binge on the days they do. Step below is those that have a drink some days a week, but it's "take it or leave it" scenario.

From that, take that I'm in recovery, and I still require 16-18 UK units of alcohol per day, though I can switch that 10% per day, and I'm in a controlled environment now.

An alcoholic needs a drink all day all the time they are awake, typically from early morning until late afternoon, or overnight until what we would class as lunchtime.

Alcohol dependant needs to have a drink somewhere along the line, but it's more waiting day after day until "beer o'clock"

Drinks a lot is exactly that... Not always drinking every day, but when they do, they go for it.

I saw my drinks advisor today (and will again on Friday) as I'm close to my reduction target... 6 cans a day might sound like a lot, but coming down from 15-20 a day plus vodka in the first coffee a day says I'm on the right track.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Dejan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm

Oh well, if u put it this way, my parents and brother in your area, alcohol dependant.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby djaxster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Dejan wrote:Oh well, if u put it this way, my parents and brother in your area, alcohol dependant.

Be careful with your family Dejan as you don't want to ruin what you have got by nagging them to stop.
My daughter started drinking when she was 14 but after seeing her mum go through her transplant it has put her off drinking as much.
I understand about how you feel that they are selfish and the amount of money they are chucking down their necks. As i said me and the missus smoke weed and we do spend a lot of money on it. Every time my missus moans that we don't have a holiday i tell her "we will give up the weed and the money we save could pay for a cruise" which then she says that she doesn't want to stop. So i tell her to stop moaning then ;)
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby liam_cork » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:11 pm

i'd be a heavy drinker should be more careful i s'pose
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby djaxster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:25 pm

My Grandad was a heavy drinker unti he was about 70odd when his doc told him he should quit, which he did.
He'd been a drinker for about 50 years and as kids we always remember him coming home from the club, have his roast and the pass out in his chair. We used to do things ti him while he was asleep. Once my uncle tied his laces together and then woke him up saying someone was nicking his car. He got up, went to run to the door and fell flat on his face. We all peed ourselves but my Uncle got it when we went home.
All of his sons are hard drinkers and i take after them but all my cousins are not
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby liam_cork » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:28 pm

djaxster wrote:My Grandad was a heavy drinker unti he was about 70odd when his doc told him he should quit, which he did.
He'd been a drinker for about 50 years and as kids we always remember him coming home from the club, have his roast and the pass out in his chair. We used to do things ti him while he was asleep. Once my uncle tied his laces together and then woke him up saying someone was nicking his car. He got up, went to run to the door and fell flat on his face. We all peed ourselves but my Uncle got it when we went home.
All of his sons are hard drinkers and i take after them but all my cousins are not

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:15 am

good luck SE13 good on your honest blog. I have had shit past grew up in gang environment our house was a party pad.once woke up as a kid and in the spare bed across my room was a dead person he had died at the party so they carried on just put him in a bed.i moved 10 years ago t0 the south island to get away from my past had a bad drug habit as well as anger issues part of the job description bouncing doing protection work.I had a breakdown trying to get myself clean.i have been counseld in most things alcohol, drugs, anger.I met my wife here after coming through the other side,we have a 6yr old son now my wife has Multiple sclerosis,son has type 1 diabetes,and i have Ceoliacs disease,thing is past always catches you up.i still drink and actually run a still making most spirits.i have been off work as my wife was recently hospitalised with Psycosis caused by a combination of drugs stress and her illness so i have had to care for our son in mean time.stress was caused by local gang moving into the house next door.long story short had re visit my past and bring some boys down to sort the shit out,police got involved and had a huge effect on my family that had never been exposed to these type of things.i have big issues being able to travel as well as always having trouble with police because of my past.i have been drug free 10 years only vice is drinking my wife wants to do relationship counciling,what the hell i have done most others good news is my wife is much better and i am going back to work in two days. always look to the future dont look at the past and think carefully about the now,the now effects the future too much.good luck with the long winding road :biggrin:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:38 am

Shon, that is some story dude.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate