Wikileaks

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Wikileaks

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:58 pm

GunnGunn wrote:The US of A, hypocrisy in a nutshell really...

Sad but true. Its cause we try to make every walk of life happy, and you can't do that without being hypocritical or contradicting something else. I would say we should just mind our own business and leave everyone else alone, but if we did that the world would be in chaos.

Whats that saying? "With great power comes great responsibility", so either way we're f***ked!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:03 pm

ChVint22 wrote:

Sad but true. Its cause we try to make every walk of life happy, and you can't do that without being hypocritical or contradicting something else. I would say we should just mind our own business and leave everyone else alone, but if we did that the world would be in chaos.

Whats that saying? "With great power comes great responsibility", so either way we're f***ked!!

You think so? In many ways america just makes things worse, or creates problems that were not there before. The world would be a better place if they (and thus us, NATO and any 'coalitions' ) kept their hands to themselves I think. But I know that's probably not the way they tell it stateside
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

You think so? In many ways america just makes things worse, or creates problems that were not there before. The world would be a better place if they (and thus us, NATO and any 'coalitions' ) kept their hands to themselves I think. But I know that's probably not the way they tell it stateside

But when we don't help, everyone complains, and when we do, still everyone complains. Lose, lose.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:08 pm

ChVint22 wrote:

Btw i wasn't saying the people if anyone gets crossed wires (You nailed it straight)...More your Government.

Talks about this and that, preaches what people should do...Yet always has an ulterior motive.

I do not agree with what Assange has done, because what he has released so far has also roped the UK in in regards to some of the information, i.e. Secret locations which could come to harm.

But technically, he hasn't really done anything wrong, the raging homo with a chip on his shoulder did...
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 pm

First of all... what's America done to the guy? What have they charged him with? Nothing. They're investigating him, that's all. As of now there is nothing they can do, or have done to him. Amazon.com, who hosted much of his site buckled to political and social pressure and told him they weren't going to host it anymore. Don't know exactly why Paypal decided to stop payments to him, but I have not heard anything about it being from the government.

And second, I would f***ing LOVE for America to stop dicking around all around the globe. Would save us TRILLIONS AND TRILLIONS in tax dollars. South Korea probably wouldn't be too happy... Iran would probably start tossing nukes all over the middle east, but what do I care sitting here in Ohio? :dontknow:

Maybe the UN (HQed and 22% funded by America) would stop sitting on their hands and do something, maybe not, who knows... but I know it sure would save us a ton of money.

Fact of the matter is, like it or not, because of decisions made by our predecessors long before most of us were born, American involvement in many areas of conflict helps to stabilize those regions today. If we were just to pack up and move home tomorrow things would not be stable in many regions of the globe. And I'm not just talking about Iraq and Afghanistan.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:18 pm

GunnGunn wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Btw i wasn't saying the people if anyone gets crossed wires (You nailed it straight)...More your Government.

Talks about this and that, preaches what people should do...Yet always has an ulterior motive.

I do not agree with what Assange has done, because what he has released so far has also roped the UK in in regards to some of the information, i.e. Secret locations which could come to harm.

But technically, he hasn't really done anything wrong, the raging homo with a chip on his shoulder did...

I don't even really know what this whole thing is about cause I don't read shit like this, but I was just agreeing. All Govt's especially powerful ones are corrupt, hypocritical, contradicting, lying bastards, but you know what? Some of them have to be in order to make society run properly, if the truth about everything was known to the public the world would be in chaos, and another thing, even though I hate Govt's, and I talk about ours badly quite often, I still love and am proud to be a yank!!! Which is hypocrisy in itself really. :biggrin:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby liam_cork » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 pm

GunnGunn wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

how is it yank hypocrisy? every government in the world has its own private views on every other gov and the people in it and not all of them good
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Oh, and if you want to talk constitution... every president we've had since the dawn of the 20th century has shit all over it everyday. And Obama and Bush are the two biggest offenders.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Leody wrote:First of all... what's America done to the guy? What have they charged him with? Nothing. They're investigating him, that's all. As of now there is nothing they can do, or have done to him. Amazon.com, who hosted much of his site buckled to political and social pressure and told him they weren't going to host it anymore. Don't know exactly why Paypal decided to stop payments to him, but I have not heard anything about it being from the government.

And second, I would f***ing LOVE for America to stop dicking around all around the globe. Would save us TRILLIONS AND TRILLIONS in tax dollars. South Korea probably wouldn't be too happy... Iran would probably start tossing nukes all over the middle east, but what do I care sitting here in Ohio? :dontknow:

Maybe the UN (HQed and 22% funded by America) would stop sitting on their hands and do something, maybe not, who knows... but I know it sure would save us a ton of money.

Fact of the matter is, like it or not, because of decisions made by our predecessors long before most of us were born, American involvement in many areas of conflict helps to stabilize those regions today. If we were just to pack up and move home tomorrow things would not be stable in many regions of the globe. And I'm not just talking about Iraq and Afghanistan.

Very true, but people don't get that, they think we're there just to be big bullies, yet we're risking American lives to help create a better world. Now why would we do that just do act like bullies? It doesn't make sense. Most people would say because there is money involved in it, and that isn't always the case. We come out on the short end of alot of the problems we try to help with.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Leody wrote:Fact of the matter is, like it or not, because of decisions made by our predecessors long before most of us were born, American involvement in many areas of conflict helps to stabilize those regions today. If we were just to pack up and move home tomorrow things would not be stable in many regions of the globe. And I'm not just talking about Iraq and Afghanistan.

Very true, but people don't get that, they think we're there just to be big bullies, yet we're risking American lives to help create a better world. Now why would we do that just do act like bullies? It doesn't make sense. Most people would say because there is money involved in it, and that isn't always the case. We come out on the short end of alot of the problems we try to help with.

Exactly.

Nobody ever talks about Korea. What exactly has the US gained from Korea? Kia motors? Some nice electronics that the Japanese make better anyhow?

We could have just stayed home and left the Solviets and the North Koreans have their party, and then we'd have a whole peninsula living in the stone-aged dictatorial rule of Kim Jong-Il. Last I heard, things weren't going too great for the people of North Korea, and things are pretty normal for the South Koreans. Apart from their crazy northern neighbors lobbing mortars at them. But our father's fathers decided it would be best to help them live a life in freedom and went to fight with them. And we've had our troops there and given them support ever since. If we took all of our toys and troops out of there tomorrow, what does that leave the South with?
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Leody wrote:Fact of the matter is, like it or not, because of decisions made by our predecessors long before most of us were born, American involvement in many areas of conflict helps to stabilize those regions today. If we were just to pack up and move home tomorrow things would not be stable in many regions of the globe. And I'm not just talking about Iraq and Afghanistan.

I could understand and sympathise with that argument if not for the fact that each new generation of American government, in fact almost every single president, gets you involved in a new conflict. That isn't just dealing with the consequences of predecessors actions
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Wikileaks

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:53 pm

liam_cork wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

how is it yank hypocrisy? every government in the world has its own private views on every other gov and the people in it and not all of them good

You are joking right? The USA loves to have all its fingers in everyone elses pie, they make it their business to be involved. What makes the US hypocritical is their own constitution, its rammed down the Worlds throats, i.e Freedom of speech yet their Government don't want to abide by it and for the most part, don't anymore.

Every Government has its Skeletons, the reasons its Yank hypocrisy is for reasons already explained.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:

I could understand and sympathise with that argument if not for the fact that each new generation of American government, in fact almost every single president, gets you involved in a new conflict. That isn't just dealing with the consequences of predecessors actions

Fair point, but at least almost every case has been for no reason other than to stop tyrannical leaders from oppressing their people.

Gulf War 1 under Bush 1 - Sadam had invaded Kuwait. We liberated Kuwait and let Sadam go home.
Gulf War 2 under Bush 2 - Sadam was committing genocide against the Kurds in northern Iraq, but Bush cooked up a bullshit excuse when in my opinion that was enough of a reason to remove him. And then the whole war on terror thing.

And both World Wars we didn't want to get into, but you had the Lusitania and Pearl Harbor...

Vietnam and Korea were both "cold war" / "stop the spread of Communism" conflicts. Which in my opinion, while I don't feel it's any of our business, it is better for the average citizen of those said countries. There isn't a single example of any form of Communism giving the people a better life than what we have in the West under different forms of Democracy. But if you ask me, it's up to them to decide. Unfortunately though, the majority isn't always in favor of Communism, but they have no military power to fight their oppression.

And the whole war on terror thing. I'd rather have that going on in their house and not just sit here and wait for them to attack us and then do nothing about it. Because if we just left them alone over there and did nothing, the attacks on our country would continue. And I would much rather not have to live in fear. Kind of like going to school everyday and just hoping that the bully doesn't steal your lunch money, wouldn't it be better to do something about it? To me, that's the most justifiable reason to ever go into a conflict. Our country was outright attacked. Period. At least we had the balls to step up and do something about it.

You may not like what our country has done, but I'd wager that in most cases the populace of the countries we've gone to largely favors our involvement. Sure there will be cases where people don't, but for the most part, I'd imagine they are glad we got involved. The media for whatever reason loves to paint us as the bad guys, but Average Joe Iraqi is probably going to live a better life now that Sadam is gone. I do recall them dancing on the head of his statue... leads me to believe they probably didn't like him too much.

Trust me though CG, I'd seriously love to not be involved. And quite frankly it is against the Federal Government's Constitutional authority to do those things. The Federal Government doesn't even have the authority to tax the people, but that doesn't stop them. I'd like nothing more than to just be left alone and leave other people to their own business.

I hate our government as much as the next guy. But at least take the time to understand why things have been done and don't just blindly follow the masses and drink the media hate kool-aid. :dontknow:
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Lol I agree and disagree with many of the points made in this thread but its a tad ironic when English/British people say America loves having their finger in every pie. Remember a little thing called the British empire, and the fact that England still has colonies in this modern world.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Ok I have done my best Yorky impression....continue.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate