Wikileaks

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Wikileaks

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Are they right to release anything they possibly can no matter what the potential repercussions or is there a level where they are being irresponsible and need to stop?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wikileaks

Postby Goose » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Hard to decide

Yes, the public has the right to know everything and governments should be accountable

No, if it puts lives at risk and affects government relations
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:56 pm

Apparently one big thing coming out of this leak is that Saudi Arabia has been trying to get the USA to invade Iran. It's stuff like that which can seriously destabilise the current political landscape further.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:13 pm

IMO, no they shouldn't.

There are certain things that are better left out of the public's knowledge. And it is only a matter of time till this jackass incites a MAJOR international incident that leads to a military conflict. There will be a day though when he upsets the wrong government and they dispose of him, one way or another. Because there are agencies out there that, if they want you gone, you're gone.

edit: Create probably wasn't the correct word to use, incite is better.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:07 pm

They should publish everything they can as far as I'm concerned.

I downloaded the locked 1.8gb file they encouraged everyone to download for 'insurance'
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:17 pm

No because most journalists like to mess everything up for a story no matter the consquences, there not thinking the public have a right to know, there only thinking about themselves more often than not.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:18 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:They should publish everything they can as far as I'm concerned.

I downloaded the locked 1.8gb file they encouraged everyone to download for 'insurance'

Eh...?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:They should publish everything they can as far as I'm concerned.

Lucky you weren't around during WWII Cyn.

There is a need for some things to be kept secret, as much as people think they have a right to know everything, they actually don't.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:

There is a need for some things to be kept secret, as much as people think they have a right to know everything, they actually don't.

I agree.

Somethings need to be kept secret for the greater good.

Not because some pleb thinks he needs to know anything and everything about things he probably doesn't understand.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:31 pm

GunnGunn wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:

I agree.

Somethings need to be kept secret for the greater good.

Not because some pleb thinks he needs to know anything and everything about things he probably doesn't understand.

Exactly. Knowing something just for the sake of it doesn't do any good. Imagine if during the Cold war every single thing had been leaked to the world? The Americans and the Soviets would likely have ended up blowing the shit out of each other, and everyone else.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:

I disagree. Lack of transparency in powerful nations is one of the major problems in the world. How can government's be held to account by its people if they are left in the dark?

Of course they are under no obligation to shout their business from the rooftops, but if sites like Wikileaks can expose them, more power to 'em.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 pm

I am sure this guy's cost people their lives by exposing things.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/world ... .html?_r=1

Read that, you'll see that this is only going to stir shit up in the already very unstable powder keg that is the middle east.

And why do we need to know that the King of Saudi Arabia doesn't like the prime minister of Iraq? That does the public no service, but it does piss off the Iraqi prime minister. And makes the King of Saudi Arabia look bad...

There are several other examples of useless information to you and I that is only going to serve to make powerful people upset with each other.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:40 pm

Cant get onto the web site but googled it and says Australia 'banned' the website in march 09.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 pm

I can't get on it either.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger