Stoppage Time

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Stoppage Time

Postby starmandb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:59 am

whee wrote:
starmandb wrote:
whee wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:Just to add, in Rugby League, when the clock is up, the ball stays 'alive' until the next tackle,score, or ball goes out of play.

That's how i've always thought they should do it in football.

4th official signals 4 minutes - and as soon as the 4 minutes is up, the next stoppage (that isn't a foul) becomes the end of the match.

disagree,add the time on for every bit of time wasting, substitution,goal celebration and injury and blow the whistle the second it has hit full time.none of this waiting to see how an attack develops bollocks.
we got done like that at sunderland.
losing i can take
losing outside the rules of the game drives me mad

"There will be a minimum of 4 minutes added time" - Whether that means 4 minutes and 5 seconds, or 4 minutes and 59 seconds, you don't stop playing.

We didn't 'lose outside the rules' and you know it, we drew that game because of an inability to convert from 12 yards, and because of defensive naievty in the dying minutes.

there was not an injury,goal,substitution or time wasting[we don,t do it] in those 4 minutes
i understand it is a minimum because the proper amount of time will rarely hit dead on the minute but
where did all the time come from with 4 second half substitutions no goal celebrations or time wasting as i stress again we don,t do it and it was not in sunderlands interest to do it as they needed a goal
the only way round it is to make the game a 60 minute game or whatever the average amount of time in a game the ball is in play is and stop the clock every time the game stops
not ideal i know but if teams think it ok to come and waste time and a simple thing like time keeping can,t be observed maybe its the way forward.
if i thought the ref was adding the time on when a goalkeeper was taking a goal kick
i would pull up a table have a cup of tea and enjoy his display of lethargy
but they rarely do and the sop of giving the keeper a yellow card means nothing to us as we will not feel the benefit of subsequent games he is banned from.
fergie was right about timekeeping
the shame is that it is not added on everywhere however i can see no reason why that sunderland game was extended beyond the 4th minute
this stuff about only our self to blame
i never make excuses about our performance so why should i wring my hands about sunderland deserving a point
they did,nt put the ball thru those white posts in proper time
thats what deserves you points
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby whee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:05 am

Every single team in the league wastes time whether you care to admit it or not.

I didn't say Sunderland were deserving of a point, I don't really remember everything about the game, but that's irrelevant. Sunderland scored because we didn't defend properly in the last of the alloted minutes of time added on.

The only complaints we can have about that game were nothing to do with the clock.

As someone said previously, if the clock was stopped during goalkicks etc, then our fast-paced sport would become more like one of the American showcases with 'time-outs' and we'd end up with Tyler stating "we're just going to a commercial break while Kirkland takes 3 minutes about his next goal kick" - it would be farcical and ruin the game we love.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:18 pm

whee wrote:Every single team in the league wastes time whether you care to admit it or not.

I didn't say Sunderland were deserving of a point, I don't really remember everything about the game, but that's irrelevant. Sunderland scored because we didn't defend properly in the last of the alloted minutes of time added on.

The only complaints we can have about that game were nothing to do with the clock.

As someone said previously, if the clock was stopped during goalkicks etc, then our fast-paced sport would become more like one of the American showcases with 'time-outs' and we'd end up with Tyler stating "we're just going to a commercial break while Kirkland takes 3 minutes about his next goal kick" - it would be farcical and ruin the game we love.

but it was not in the alloted minute of time added on itwas in the 5th minute of injury time and i don,t see where that came from.
i do remember the game and was aware of time when the game was stopped for legitamate reasons and sunderland scored beyond that.
we were heading for 3 points on a day when we had not played particularly well the stuff that champions are bigged up for doing.
i agree we were profligate in missing a penalty but that has nothing to do with the laws of the game
i agree with you about the stopped clock,i would like to see the ref more vigilant in adding on the correct time.
if i saw us wasting time i would be furious
the only time i remember it happening was at home to wigan when lehmann was making a point about how badly wigan had done it at the emirates in 06/07
starmandb

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:22 pm

It's not like Wenger doesn't moan about having more time. He was at it at the Wigan game the other day.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby starmandb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:It's not like Wenger doesn't moan about having more time. He was at it at the Wigan game the other day.

they all moan but i believe it can be an exact science mate
look at your game at old trafford last season when owen scored in the 6th minute of injury time and it was shown to be a second in time.
fine and dandy if they do it across the board but i don,t believe they do.
a substitution should be from the second the play stopped to when it starts again.as should goal celebrations and injurys
all this alloted 30 seconds lark is bollocks
if a player goes off and wastes time thanking the world and his mother to waste time thats what should be added on.
i don,t know about the wigan game
i watched it on an iphone that kept breaking up so as not to disrupt my family xmas but i was well aware of what should have been added at sunderland and they scored outside of it
starmandb

Postby northerngooner83 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Interesting debate - I feel that if we went down the route of the American stop the clock system, games would have to be 60 minutes long - 30 minutes per half - otherwise we'd be there all day. During an average football match, isn't the ball in play for something like 60 minutes?

It certainly is a more transparent system but whether it favours one team above another, I am not so sure. Surely the key is playing to the whistle? Plus if they are still struggling to implement goaline technology, what chance do we have in this idea seeing the light of day? I am sure it will be favoured by many fans though, not to mention those into football betting, as it would seem fairer. Whether it actually is, is up for debate.

If we implement it, I am sure people will cite bias or favours done by officials in other ways so would it really change much either.
northerngooner83
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Van The Man Persie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Investigate Man utd and their links to the referees

Other than that, its not a problem
Van The Man Persie
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Previous

Return to The Big Debate