Committing Suicide

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Committing Suicide

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:20 pm

GunnGunn wrote:I should be ashamed of the comments i made 4 years ago in this thread.

I made them because my own life experiences (Extremily abusive childhood) led me to believe that there was always another option...I never used it as an excuse...

Growing up i was the eldest and it was my job to try and protect my family even if it meant standing over them...I saw horrible things...experienced horrible things which don't need repeating.

It made me stronger, and it made me always think that nobodies demons can be that big or aggressive.

Little over a month ago however i hit rock bottom...I got in from work one night, changed, rolled a spliff and walked back out with no intention of coming back alive...Luckily for me, one of my best friends pulled me out of it at the last second...I owe her my life.

I'm in a better place now and i am finding happiness again. When you hit rock bottom the only way is up.

So yeah, get help kids.

Im pleased to hear you're through the worst of it mate. But please remember that you can't afford to be complacent. The time scale you mention (last month) is short. It can creep back up on you. You need to have your coping strategies in place, and you need to keep talking to people. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk privately.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Yeah i know UFGN i am no stranger to depression, but thank you. I'll be sure to PM you if i need it.

Luckily for me i have very good friends who have been there...we all keep each other in check.

For those who have me on Facebook, don't judge me lol!
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Vinny » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:44 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Yeah i know UFGN i am no stranger to depression, but thank you. I'll be sure to PM you if i need it.

Luckily for me i have very good friends who have been there...we all keep each other in check.

For those who have me on Facebook, don't judge me lol!

Kudos GunnGunn. Very brave of you to post and dare I say, inspirational.
Vinny
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Leody » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:38 am

I never had sympathy for people who committed suicide... But then in his final days in the hospital, my grandfather said to me that he was ready to die. He was the strongest man I've ever known. He was a drill instructor in the army and fought in Africa in WW2. Marched through Italy, his home country. Met his own grandmother for the first time during the war as he marched through her village...

That made me think a lot about death, and life. And is what he said, and how he went really any different? He was so defeated that he was ready to go. Is it any different that his heart stopping is what finally killed him?
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Myrmedus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Leody wrote:I never had sympathy for people who committed suicide... But then in his final days in the hospital, my grandfather said to me that he was ready to die. He was the strongest man I've ever known. He was a drill instructor in the army and fought in Africa in WW2. Marched through Italy, his home country. Met his own grandmother for the first time during the war as he marched through her village...

That made me think a lot about death, and life. And is what he said, and how he went really any different? He was so defeated that he was ready to go. Is it any different that his heart stopping is what finally killed him?

The main problem people have who do not sympathise or think it's selfish is that they often only seem to be able to conceive of ill health as physical - kind of goes for Trina's opening post as well IMO. If someone is suicidal, they're not healthy. They may look healthy on the outside, have a good heart rate etc. but on the inside they're far from healthy.

I can tell you now that how you feel in life can be so bad that death feels preferential. And on top of that, once you are in a place where you're realistically considering suicide, stuff like "Oh but my family" etc. doesn't factor in because your entire mindset warps. And they're no comfort either, perhaps even part of the cause.
Go Cannons!!
Myrmedus
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Youngie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Myrmedus wrote:
Leody wrote:I never had sympathy for people who committed suicide... But then in his final days in the hospital, my grandfather said to me that he was ready to die. He was the strongest man I've ever known. He was a drill instructor in the army and fought in Africa in WW2. Marched through Italy, his home country. Met his own grandmother for the first time during the war as he marched through her village...

The main problem people have who do not sympathise or think it's selfish is that they often only seem to be able to conceive of ill health as physical - kind of goes for Trina's opening post as well IMO. If someone is suicidal, they're not healthy. They may look healthy on the outside, have a good heart rate etc. but on the inside they're far from healthy.

I can tell you now that how you feel in life can be so bad that death feels preferential. And on top of that, once you are in a place where you're realistically considering suicide, stuff like "Oh but my family" etc. doesn't factor in because your entire mindset warps. And they're no comfort either, perhaps even part of the cause.

Good post :clap:
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:58 pm

suicide is caused by society's and an individual's attitude to suffering. It's a self perpetuated phenomenon (in a societal view). Society backs individuals into corners where they believe death is better than living.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby uvrays » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:18 pm

First of all Trina, I am sorry for your loss.

As someone who used to suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts I think it is impossible for a normal person to really relate with the suicidal state of mind. Hell, even though I suffered from it once, even I can't fully relate to a person who is suicidal or suffering from depression today because my state of mind is miles away from what that person feels. But I can tell you one thing, suicide and depression is not merely a psychological trick and it is certainly not a coward or lazy mans hobby, it is a physical reality. Again it is hard to explain to most people as they have never hit the rock bottom but really depression is when you brain quite literally does not work, it is quite literally f***ked. The chemicals such as dopamines and serotonin which have been scientifically been shown to be responsible for happiness are not transmitted or received in the correct way (I am not a neuro-scientists but a quick google search will better articulate what I am trying to say) . Someone suffering from depression is physically sick in similar way to someone who is suffering from a brain tumor. Ofcourse the brain tumor is a lot more lethal, but they both affect the ability of the brain to work properly. From personal experience, if anyone here knows someone who suffers from depression, extend them the same courtesy and sympathy as you would to someone who suffered from a serious illness and please do not trivialize their suffering.

Fortunately this problem is relatively well understood and can be treated through support, professional consulting and sometimes medication. But simply telling a person suffering from depression to get their act together will not work because in that state of mind you cannot even comprehend what happiness or not being in pain is.
uvrays
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby JordanTheGunner » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:34 pm

I reckon anyone who has ever comitted suicide is either;

a) a really really brave person
b) not in the right state of mind

I believe only a select few are capable of ending their own life. I am neither a brave person or someone who is in the wrong state of mind, I do not have wife and kids but I could never buck up the courage to end my own life, to just literally force your body and yourself into an action that you have to deal with forever, kind of like being able to kill someone. If you kill someone you are almost admitting to living in prison for the next 10/20/30/40 years, which IMO is like committing suicide, it's a serious action that can't be undone and you need guts to do that.

I definitely don't share the opinion of 'it's the easy way out', I think it's the hardest way out if anything.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:08 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:I reckon anyone who has ever comitted suicide is either;

or C) a selfish coward.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Maybe it is actually those who resent the person for committing suicide, and call them a selfish coward for doing so, who are actually selfish themselves?

More focused on their own feelings, and the fact that they will be affected by the person's death, than on the fact that the person's life was so unbearable that they felt they had to die.

Also, that attitude fails to take depression seriously as a mental illness. The suicide victim may have convinced themself that his family and friends are better off without him.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Est83 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 am

UFGN wrote:Maybe it is actually those who resent the person for committing suicide, and call them a selfish coward for doing so, who are actually selfish themselves?

More focused on their own feelings, and the fact that they will be affected by the person's death, than on the fact that the person's life was so unbearable that they felt they had to die.

Also, that attitude fails to take depression seriously as a mental illness. The suicide victim may have convinced themself that his family and friends are better off without him.

Exactly, it happens... but you're wasting your time if this is a response to Royal's comment. You're trying to teach compassion to a Tory.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby JordanTheGunner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:51 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
JordanTheGunner wrote:I reckon anyone who has ever comitted suicide is either;

or C) a selfish coward.

It's only cowardly if you believe you can eventually make things better. And it's only selfish if you leave your family behind or commit in a public place.

Let me ask you a question then. I walk up to the hardest nutjob in Ldn, loaded with pistols, drugs and money, this guy lives the crime life and I know he's killed people and there's a chance he could kill me if I f**k him off.

I start on him and he ends up shooting and killing me. Am I now a selfish coward? Is that pretty much a form of suicide?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 am

Est83 wrote:
UFGN wrote:Maybe it is actually those who resent the person for committing suicide, and call them a selfish coward for doing so, who are actually selfish themselves?

Exactly, it happens... but you're wasting your time if this is a response to Royal's comment. You're trying to teach compassion to a Tory.

EX-Tory if you don't mind.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Youngie wrote:
Myrmedus wrote:

Good post :clap:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate