Committing Suicide

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Committing Suicide

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Vinny wrote:Lol ChVint, yeah I seen it and same.
Found that documentary compelling to be honest. Fantastic piece but conflicted about just setting up a camera to watch suicides and not not doing anything about it.

Nail on the head buddy, it was weird to watch and accept, but couldn't take my eyes off of it. Does that make us sadistic? :biggrin:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Vinny » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:56 pm

ChVïnt22 wrote:
Vinny wrote:Lol ChVint, yeah I seen it and same.
Found that documentary compelling to be honest. Fantastic piece but conflicted about just setting up a camera to watch suicides and not not doing anything about it.

Nail on the head buddy, it was weird to watch and accept, but couldn't take my eyes off of it. Does that make us sadistic? :biggrin:

f**k ! I hope not :lol:
Vinny
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Est83 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:38 pm

I think when you hate yourself so much, and have a voice in your head (that you've dubbed the voice of reason/realism) that's quashing every bit of positivity you have left.... coupled with a shit load of bad luck that most people could normally push through, then you'd consider some dark things.

"Cowards way out" is bullshit. Yes there are better options, but a lot of these people aren't in a position or the right mental state to be able to rationally weigh up these options.

Some people can get themselves in to such a state that they won't hear a good word said about them, they've just convinced themselves that they're a waste of life, and that everyone - including the ones they love - are better off without them. It's not "ah shit, can't afford the rent this month", it's your mind being your own worst enemy.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Est is right.

I take the view that by committing suicide you are denying your future self a chance to put things right.

The person you are at this point in time doesn't represent your whole life. Can you honestly say you are the same person you were ten years ago?

A different outlook, different priorities, different experiences. By doing yourself in at any particular point you are denying future 'versions' of yourself the chance of ever existing.

And who is better qualified to cope with a bad situation and try to work through it? You now or you in the future with more experience under your belt?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby HeSaidHisNameWasPorter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:16 pm

UFGN .. Would you not recognise that you are thinking laterally and logically . Someone in the depths of depression isn't thinking about possibilities of a bright side , " 5 , 10 years from now I might be ..... "
They've hit the buffers , reached the end . This is utter despair .
In my opinion a suicidal person on the brink isn't entertaining any prospect of a potential " new me " . They've lost all hope , all of everything .
No disrespect to your point of view .
HeSaidHisNameWasPorter
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Pudpop » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:19 pm

You're both right. In the end it always ends in the same way: it's tragic. It's tragic that someone is in the position where they think they can never improve and it's tragic that the people usually can't do anything about it.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:47 pm

HeSaidHisNameWasPorter wrote:UFGN .. Would you not sayingise that you are thinking laterally and logically . Someone in the depths of depression isn't thinking about possibilities of a bright side , " 5 , 10 years from now I might be ..... "
In my opinion a suicidal person on the brink isn't entertaining any prospect of a potential " new me " . They've lost all hope , all of everything .

Ive been there and it is the way I think dude. im not saying doing yourself in is never never on the cards, but in all honesty ive been in a very dark place and the logic I described above pulled me through, and I genuinely believe in it.
Last edited by UFGN on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby HeSaidHisNameWasPorter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:50 pm

I just think that rationale isn't a tool a suicidal person is equipped to utilise . There is no tomorrow , let alone a new re constituted me . I hope I never have to find out if I have the skill set to have to talk a suicidal person out of doing it .
Some people , however bright or gifted , reach a point when they simply cannot cope any more , I guess .
Last edited by HeSaidHisNameWasPorter on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeSaidHisNameWasPorter
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby HeSaidHisNameWasPorter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:59 pm

UFGN wrote:
HeSaidHisNameWasPorter wrote:UFGN .. Would you not sayingise that you are thinking laterally and logically . Someone in the depths of depression isn't thinking about possibilities of a bright side , " 5 , 10 years from now I might be ..... "

Ive been there and it is the way I think dude. im not saying doing yourself in is never never on the cards, but in all honesty ive been in a very dark place and the logic I described above pulled me through, and I genuinely believe in it.

I'm sorry to read that , and I'm glad that you came through it . You're probably more " qualified " to opine on the subject than I am . You may have more fibre and fortitude than another in the same dreadful dark place . Sincerely , I didn't mean to offend .
HeSaidHisNameWasPorter
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:59 pm

People who commit suicide full well knowing what theyre doing have no sympathy from me at all, its a selfish act and a waste of a life but I do know people sometimes have mental illnesses and they dont know what theyre doing, with these people I can fully feel sorry for.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:13 pm

HeSaidHisNameWasPorter wrote:
UFGN wrote:

I'm sorry to read that , and I'm glad that you came through it . You're probably more " qualified " to opine on the subject than I am . You may have more fibre and fortitude than another in the same dreadful dark place . Sincerely , I didn't mean to offend .

You didn't offend mate and tbh it all feels a million miles away from where I am now. But it happened, it was very real at the time, and I acknowledge it because I'm keen to share the mindset that helped me through it with others who might need it. When you're feeling like jack the lad and everything's fine its easy to pretend it never happened, cos its not cool and maybe its a bit awkward to talk about. But the more people who've come through very bad situations and lived to fight another day talk about it, the more it will help to de-stigmatise the whole issue and get people who need help now thinking in the right way.

UFGN

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:07 pm

I should be ashamed of the comments i made 4 years ago in this thread.

I made them because my own life experiences (Extremily abusive childhood) led me to believe that there was always another option...I never used it as an excuse...

Growing up i was the eldest and it was my job to try and protect my family even if it meant standing over them...I saw horrible things...experienced horrible things which don't need repeating.

It made me stronger, and it made me always think that nobodies demons can be that big or aggressive.

Little over a month ago however i hit rock bottom...I got in from work one night, changed, rolled a spliff and walked back out with no intention of coming back alive...Luckily for me, one of my best friends pulled me out of it at the last second...I owe her my life.

I'm in a better place now and i am finding happiness again. When you hit rock bottom the only way is up.

So yeah, get help kids.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Gooner_LK6 wrote:People who commit suicide full well knowing what theyre doing have no sympathy from me at all, its a selfish act and a waste of a life but I do know people sometimes have mental illnesses and they dont know what theyre doing, with these people I can fully feel sorry for.

Hear hear. People murdering themselves knowing what they are doing is indeed selfish, cruel and causes harm to those around them. Certainly if there is a mental illness then that is very different.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Kyle? » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Gooner_LK6 wrote:People who commit suicide full well knowing what theyre doing have no sympathy from me at all, its a selfish act and a waste of a life but I do know people sometimes have mental illnesses and they dont know what theyre doing, with these people I can fully feel sorry for.

Hear hear. People murdering themselves knowing what they are doing is indeed selfish, cruel and causes harm to those around them. Certainly if there is a mental illness then that is very different.

How is it selfish? Sometimes things get so bad you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. In that scenario, people are prone to making rash decisions.

I don't advocate suicide, but if someone feels they're beyond help, and all talk to try and change their perspective fails, then i can understand why people do it.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Cripps » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Mental illnesses I guess you can understand.

But things such as suicide over something like bullying? f**k off. And bullying over the internet so not even physical? I'm sorry but that's bs.

There's always ways to counteract online bullies. Switching your computer off for one.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate