Committing Suicide

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Committing Suicide

Postby Trina » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:53 pm

I can't even remember what I've posted in this thread over the time, but I have been reading it.

UFGN would you call a kid selfish for not understanding why her dad hung himself?

There are so many good posts in here for either way of it.

I understand the depression, wondering every day if your family would be better off without you.

My medical notes are full of it. There is one thing that stopped it all for me.About 6 years ago I was stood at a main road/roundabout for ages and kept thinking if I walked, my pain and thoughts I was having would all be over. .

I really wanted to and never in my life have I felt like that since. The thought of my kids hating me pulled me back.

I know not everyones state of mind is like that though.

I say people who do are selfish, but the mind is a very powerful thing.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Trina » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Leody wrote:I never had sympathy for people who committed suicide... But then in his final days in the hospital, my grandfather said to me that he was ready to die. He was the strongest man I've ever known. He was a drill instructor in the army and fought in Africa in WW2. Marched through Italy, his home country. Met his own grandmother for the first time during the war as he marched through her village...

That made me think a lot about death, and life. And is what he said, and how he went really any different? He was so defeated that he was ready to go. Is it any different that his heart stopping is what finally killed him?

I hope it gave you a little comfort with how he was ready. :) It certainly does make you think though.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:48 am

Personally, I believe saying suicide is the "cowards way out" is too simplistic - each person takes their life for a different reason.

Now say you have one of those W****rs who goes on a mass killing spree and then shoot themselves when they've finished, well that's obviously the most cowardly act imaginable. Nothing infuriates me more than when people do this - why don't the cu*ts just top themselves to begin with instead of selfishly taking others?

However, there are others who have endured horrors for years upon years who eventually kill themselves because they just can't cope anymore - I wouldn't call them cowards as they aren't "taking the easy way out", they may just be trying to escape their dreadful circumstance in the only way they see possible. It's extremely sad, really...when one sees their only option to be the destruction of self.

Also, there are many people who suffer from mental illness and aren't treated adequately who end up taking their lives, they aren't cowards either, it's just their brains aren't functioning in ways that allow them to think and assess situations rationally; it's not necessarily them choosing to kill themselves, but rather their illness - if you're not of sound mind you can't make sound decisions.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby John Ozil » Sun May 10, 2015 4:00 am

BUMPPP!!!

Suicide isn't all about depression or having mental ilness...it can be sudden terrible bad luck

My dad told me a story...that one of his schoolmates...inherited a huge sum and lands....and within 5 years had squandered all of it on gambling,alcohol and women

When the bank told him he was a pauper and there were gonna take his houses....he went to the forest and hung himself.

And these 'suiciders' don't know the harm they cause there loved ones....a girl I knew(family friends) commited suicide(dunno the reason..but rumours were she got date raped) well after her death,her well-to-do family became dysfunctional...her dad become a workaholic,her mother used to sit in her daughters room and cry all day...also got sent to many medical institutions...her little brother(who was about my age) became a weird little psychotic thug...nearly beat 2 people to death...he's in juvi now....
#Messi4GOAT
John Ozil
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby JordanTheGunner » Mon May 11, 2015 10:47 am

John Ozil wrote:BUMPPP!!!

Suicide isn't all about depression or having mental ilness...it can be sudden terrible bad luck

Bad luck will either lead to depression or contribute to a mental illness/state of mind which will have a very bad effect and can of course lead to suicide.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Tarquinius » Tue May 12, 2015 8:54 pm

True. During the hours or days between hearing devastating news and committing suicide, his state of mind was most likely indistinguishable from that of a severely depressed person:

Low mood
Hopelessness (the most sensitive predictor of completed suicide in depressed people)
Poor appetite
Difficulty sleeping
Poor concentration
No interest in previously enjoyed activities
Constant worry or conversely apathy
Feelings of guilt
Impaired judgement - usually believing that everyone (friends, family, the world) will be better off without them.

There's also the person's predisposition - some of us are extremely resilient, some of us are incredibly vulnerable, others are somewhere in between. A vulnerable person could trundle along unremarkably until they get overdrawn for the first time, while a resilient person could spend 10 years in solitary confinement for trumped up charges and emerge seemingly psychologically unscathed.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Wed May 13, 2015 5:49 am

don't know where I personally stand on this issue................................I have worked with two people effected by this both were male parents one lost his son was devastating to him naturally...............................the other had lost both sons two years apart unbelievably............................................I can understand both sides of peoples view I can see it as the cowards way out.....................I can see it as being devastating to people left behind I have seen that side in the people I have known..............................................I don't think it is somewhere I could go, I have been rock bottom on more than one occasion but I can see how it can happen.........................................................thing is if you could get the person past that moment in time they can be saved nothing is as bad as it seems but they obviously don't see the forests for the trees........................................................interesting enough the people that I know were children in a smallish township in the end there were something like 6-7 suicides befor people stepped in talked to schools and children to discover that these were all related in some sort of pact mentality...................................................it certainly left some hugely scared parents behind.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Sims » Mon May 25, 2015 1:08 am

We found my housemate dead yesterday morning in his room, he hung himself.

Words can't describe the emotion I've felt, it was the first Arsenal match I've missed all season and that's saying a lot for someone as obsessive as me. My mate spoke to his dad and he said that at least he has found peace. Which to me signifies that he had a long term mental illness like depression.

Today has been a tough day, my coursemate is letting me stay round his until everything's finished at Uni, although I can't see the last exam I have in Thursday happening. I honestly don't know what to do or feel. I don't think the acceptance period will come until his funeral, which hopefully I'll be able to attend. f**k.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 25, 2015 1:31 am

Sims wrote:We found my housemate dead yesterday morning in his room, he hung himself.

Words can't describe the emotion I've felt, it was the first Arsenal match I've missed all season and that's saying a lot for someone as obsessive as me. My mate spoke to his dad and he said that at least he has found peace. Which to me signifies that he had a long term mental illness like depression.

Today has been a tough day, my coursemate is letting me stay round his until everything's finished at Uni, although I can't see the last exam I have in Thursday happening. I honestly don't know what to do or feel. I don't think the acceptance period will come until his funeral, which hopefully I'll be able to attend. f**k.

Condolences.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Yago » Mon May 25, 2015 2:22 am

Sims wrote:We found my housemate dead yesterday morning in his room, he hung himself.

Show the spoiler
*hanged

So sorry Sims, my condolences.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon May 25, 2015 6:11 am

Sorry to hear that mate.

Is there any way you can get the exam changed for a later date? I'm not sure how these things work these days.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Dejan » Mon May 25, 2015 7:02 am

keepyoru head up bro
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 25, 2015 7:07 am

:grouphug:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon May 25, 2015 7:48 am

sorry for your loss sims my thought are with you
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Mon May 25, 2015 9:08 am

Shit man. Sorry to hear that. Just know that there was nothing you could have done to affect things, once a person's mind is made up, it's made up.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate