TUC & Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

TUC & Politics

Postby SE13 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Right, so we've just had (or are suffering the political bollocks from) the TUC in The UK.

Now, Wales wanted out, they have their own Parliament.

Scotland wanted out, they have their own Parliament.

Ireland wanted out, and got their own Parliament.

So why the f**k are they still telling England (who incidentally don't have their own Parliament) how to govern things?

Moreover, why the hell have we still got MP's from those three Countries telling us how to run England when we haven't got a say on how they are run any more, nor do we control their finances.

Someone please explain, because we're going to get a more anti-UK brigade than we've ever had within ourselves, and it's going to get silly some time soon.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: TUC & Politics

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Well said mate

I got no answers other than: politicians.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Est83 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:57 pm

I remember Blair being quizzed as to why the Scots have their own government. He responded, "because they're a proud historic nation that deserve their own government"... what does that make us then?

I've never been fully aware of how much power is given to each of the parliaments, I always figured that it seemed quite patronising to the Scots (and Welsh and Northern Irish), in that the real decisions were always being made by the British government. Almost like a "there, have you're suits and you're little hall, now run along and go play 'politicians' ". But I'm not exactly Mr Current Affairs, and didn't know that they had much of an influence over England.

One parliament, or four... shouldn't be anything other.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby freddybhoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:17 pm

SE13 wrote:Right, so we've just had (or are suffering the political bollocks from) the TUC in The UK.

Now, Wales wanted out, they have their own Parliament.

Scotland wanted out, they have their own Parliament.

Ireland wanted out, and got their own Parliament.

So why the f**k are they still telling England (who incidentally don't have their own Parliament) how to govern things?

Moreover, why the hell have we still got MP's from those three Countries telling us how to run England when we haven't got a say on how they are run any more, nor do we control their finances.

Someone please explain, because we're going to get a more anti-UK brigade than we've ever had within ourselves, and it's going to get silly some time soon.
Simple really! All I can say is that it's basically politicians from one party who are sticking their nose into English affairs. LABOUR! The SNP are too busy governing the devolved parliament, to concern themselves with what's happening south of Hadrian's. The Tories only have ONE MP here, so that rules them out, while the Lib Dems Scots MP's refuse to vote on English matters at Westminster. When Labour were in power, and needed to get a bill through parliament, the call would go out to the fifty or so MSP's to come to their aid. I think some of them perversly thought that this was their way of getting their own back for the poll tax being foisted on Scotland back in 1989! The only way to solve this constitutional mess is the ultimate break up of the Union. Then we can all get on with our lives, without suspicion and hurling the usual insults at each other.
ONE VOICE, ONE LOVE, ONE FAITH, ONE CELTIC
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby freddybhoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Est83 wrote:I remember Blair being quizzed as to why the Scots have their own government. He responded, "because they're a proud historic nation that deserve their own government"... what does that make us then?

The same as us. A proud historic nation! Back in 1997, Blair duped "middle England" into backing "New Labour". He already had Scotland in his back pocket and one of his election pledges to the Scottish people was the reconvening of the Scottish Parliament that was "adjourned" in 1707 (in other words, we were railroaded into the Union much to the protestations of the nation! :BangHead:). Because Scotland had a Conservative government for thirteen years which they never really voted for, Blair seduced the country with a promise to give them devolution. Fast forward thirteen years later, and there he was, confessing to us how he wasn't convinced it would work! He had let the genie out the bottle in order to secure his burning ambition to be PM. Only now, he managed to alienate England as well!! Although people south of the border have finally woken up to Labour's (and Blair's) disengenious and devious politics over the last decade, sadly voters in Scotland continue to back the party, with Labour looking set to oust the Nationalists at Holyrood next year.
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby SE13 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:19 am

Do the Scots (and other Nations) really want the break up of the Union though? Would it be better just to be part of the Commonwealth rather than the Union? Or does Britain need to be together?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby freddybhoy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:43 am

SE13 wrote:Do the Scots (and other Nations) really want the break up of the Union though? Would it be better just to be part of the Commonwealth rather than the Union? Or does Britain need to be together?
The majority of Scots seem happy enough to stay in the Union and I'm not fussy either way tbh mate. Although I would like to see us stand on our own two feet instead of pointing the finger of blame elsewhere. As I said earlier, now that the genie is out the bottle I think it could well speed up the process of full independence for both nations.
freddybhoy
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Return to The Big Debate