What most meat eaters don't know.

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: What most meat eaters don't know.

Postby SE13 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:35 pm

I'll get a link and send it to you Gigi with regard to the programme on the radio, plenty of debate and answers, draw your own conclusions. Just got to wait for it to be uploaded on I-Player.

I'll also link you with anything on the news tomorrow.

However, the point they are trying to make is that it'll just be a normal dairy farm, only bigger. Can't see how myself, living in the area. It's sort of between two villages (and where I learned how to drive a bus) and while the area is massive, this amount of cows on almost constant milking doesn't weigh up.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby TheLittleMozart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:they're more likely to taste good hun, if they have been reared with space to range and grow and not been pumped full of chemicals and antibiotics...

I accept most people are like you and sadly don't care how their meat is treated before its put on their plate - i just think most people probably also aren't aware of how complex the needs/emotions/feelings of 'only animals' actually are and if we can do just a little to help them have a better life whilst they are in this world and a calmer death then i think we should.

God Damm Hippy! ;) :Peace:
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Forest » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Jay22 wrote:I am one of those who buy only organic meat. It doesn't really taste better or anything but it surely makes me feel good. :)

this is a stupid question but what is organic meat? what makes it different?
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby TheLittleMozart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:26 pm

gunner2018 wrote:
Jay22 wrote:I am one of those who buy only organic meat. It doesn't really taste better or anything but it surely makes me feel good. :)

Supermarket's use the word Organic to shove an extra quid onto the price of any food, just means its not full of any chemicals or anything thats not supposed to be in the food!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

What most meat eaters don't know.

Postby GunnGunn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Lol i have been biting my tongue since this thread was made, i will continue to do so.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:39 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:
gunner2018 wrote:

Supermarket's use the word Organic to shove an extra quid onto the price of any food, just means its not full of any chemicals or anything thats not supposed to be in the food!

I'm not sure about sure about Meat and Poultry regulations in North America but i do know there is no legislation or regulation with regards to rearing of livestock. What i mean to say is any supermarket, retailer, etc can say their meat's organic so long as the livestock is exposed to some grazing outside. Whether that's whole days' or 5 mins is not a concern. For all we know the animals could well be 95% battery farm and only 5% orgaincally farmed stock. :dontknow:
Furthermore companies take advantage of this loophole and therefore print anything on their packaging in order to make the sale.
And whilst this is the practice you can't really blame them otherwise they'd lose even more business to the Eastern Bloc and Chinese who saturate the market with the cheap battery alternative.

There you have it.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby SE13 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:02 pm

gzagee wrote:I'm not sure about sure about Meat and Poultry regulations in North America but i do know there is no legislation or regulation with regards to rearing of livestock. What i mean to say is any supermarket, retailer, etc can say their meat's organic so long as the livestock is exposed to some grazing outside. Whether that's whole days' or 5 mins is not a concern. For all we know the animals could well be 95% battery farm and only 5% orgaincally farmed stock.
Furthermore companies take advantage of this loophole and therefore print anything on their packaging in order to make the sale.
And whilst this is the practice you can't really blame them otherwise they'd lose even more business to the Eastern Bloc and Chinese who saturate the market with the cheap battery alternative.

There you have it.

That's fairly much the long and short of it.

Round here, it's almost impossible to find anything other than free range eggs, and there are greater restrictions on how they define that term.

But to call anything organic in the loose sense of the term is wrong. I'm not sure, but I believe that it's anything over 1% of time free counts for meat, but there are certain restrictions for soil grown produce.

I ought to know living around an area that produces nearly 25% of all veg and meat products in Britain, and 10% of it's milk!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby TheLittleMozart » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 am

GunnGunn wrote:Lol i have been biting my tongue since this thread was made, i will continue to do so.

Shitebag... Lets me having you!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:32 am

If you look for the soil association standard on English food (not sure what the American equivlant is) then you know the meat is guaranteed to have been reared ethically. That the animal will be fed on organic feed and will have free range outdoors access for most, if not all it's life. It also won't be pumped full of chemicals or have been exposed to any of the more barbaric practices of factory farming. Things like beak clipping in chickens or using farrowing crates with sows. If you can't afford the extra for organic meat then the next best thing to look for is the RSPCA freedom food sign which whilst not guaranteeing the high standards of animal welfare that the soil association do will mean that the animal has had a little more freedom to roam in it's life then if it is totally factory reared.
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:51 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Lol i have been biting my tongue since this thread was made, i will continue to do so.

Biting your tongue (in a maccabre, cannibalistic way), is eating meat... :hiding:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Massa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:10 pm

I've never eaten meat and neither did my mate until last month when he accidently ate a chicken burger and told me it was f***ing mank so I can't be missing out on much. Personally I don't see the appeal in eating dead animals but each to their own n' dat.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Dead animals, dead plants, whats the difference really?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm

There are other foods than plants for non meat eaters to eat you know :P
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Massa wrote:There are other foods than plants for non meat eaters to eat you know :P

You're just missing out on life! Dead animals and plants tastes good. :)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Massa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I eat 'dead plants' but It's not like Breakfast: Salad, Lunch: Carrots, Dinner: Apples. And if I haven't tried meat I don't know what I'm missing out on so all's well and good ;)
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate