Schools advised against swimming lessons in Ramadan

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Schools advised against swimming lessons in Ramadan

Postby gzagee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:30 pm

Just read the report and it says Ramadan starts around 11 august and goes on for 30 days afterwards.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:26 pm

gzagee wrote:
Leody wrote:
Trina wrote:Why not just excuse Muslim pupils from swimming? Problem solved.

Stop being logical...

Don't you know logic doesn't apply to situations that involve minorities? Besides, you're a woman you should know you are not allowed to use logic. :hiding:

If they are stopping swimming lessons then i guess the majority of pupils in that institution must be muslim. In which case the school may take a view that the money used to pay for those swimming lessons across that month could be re-appropriated elsewhere.

But as IMF said, Ramadan's in summer so that report may have been written to incite unneccesary reaction.

Ramadan would only run into the 1st few days of term by my calculations, also exams are taken at the end of the school year, at least the important ones like GCSE's ect, so i really dont get why they have published or brought that into the equation.
As Trina said, and its common sense (something many council officials have a serious lack of).... to just excuse those pupils who practise if THEY feel or deem it neccesary, not a gov pen pusher who by saying things like this is only enciting racism & a split society within schools.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby IMF » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Youngie wrote:Hows it uncalled for?. I basically outlining my shock at length people go to. It a "what's next" sort of comment like SE13's post. If they cant get water in there mouth and ban swimming, its on the same level.

IMF leave old grievances out, don't take everything offensively. I'm not racist, I have Asian and back family. I just think people should get as good as we give and we seem to jump thru hoops whilst the minority's wouldn't.

B*llox to that. I took no offence to the original post, no offence to what SE13 had to say but I took offence to "we should follow them in case it rains". Who the f*ck exactly is "them"??
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:30 pm

gzagee wrote:
Leody wrote:
Trina wrote:Why not just excuse Muslim pupils from swimming? Problem solved.

Stop being logical...

Don't you know logic doesn't apply to situations that involve minorities? Besides, you're a woman you should know you are not allowed to use logic. :hiding:

If they are stopping swimming lessons then i guess the majority of pupils in that institution must be muslim. In which case the school may take a view that the money used to pay for those swimming lessons across that month could be re-appropriated elsewhere.

But as IMF said, Ramadan's in summer so that report may have been written to incite unneccesary reaction.

It's on the BBC website, and I expect a decent level of media reporting accuracy from them.

On the whole, I don't see why there should be any problem with excusing said people from areas where they could conflict their own rules on Ramadan, but at the expense of other children? Do me a favour!

The indigenous religions here do their own thing, we've never stopped others from doing theirs, but this just takes the piss.

Flip side, there were plans for a Mosque thrown out by the council here with some pathetic excuse about lack of parking[1] so the Muslim population held a meeting the other night to discuss plans for an alternative, and roughly 200 protesters were outside and breaking in causing a near riot.

[1] How anyone can comment about lack of parking round here is beyond me, the place is an absolute joke, and the very council that denied the Mosque on those grounds are the very same council that imposed the lack of parking by forcing residents to pay hundreds of pounds a year just for the right to park outside their own homes, and the same council that seem to have brushed under the carpet the findings of a huge fire on the site where the Mosque was originally planned, which every man and his dog knows was arson.......

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Artemis8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:42 pm

IMF wrote:Who the f*ck exactly is "them"??

Well you should know if you are one.

The people who practice ramadam.... (Them)
–pronoun
the objective case of they, used as a direct or indirect object: We saw them yesterday. I gave them the books.
Informal . (used instead of the pronoun they in the predicate after the verb to be ): It's them, across the street. It isn't them.
Informal . (used instead of the pronoun their before a gerund): The boys' parents objected to them hiking without adult supervision.

Stop looking for malice. NONE IS INTENDED :rolleyes:
Artemis8

Postby TheLittleMozart » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:00 pm

If this is a prodominatly Muslim scholl then yes I can understand this but if its not then this is absolutley ridiculous, and the quotes at the end of the article are quite fitting.

Surely it should be possible for Muslim pupils to be withdrawn from those elements of the school day that they don't want to participate in without imposing these restrictions on everybody, Muslim or not.

"It is wrong that everyone in schools should be forced to observe Islamic laws when they may have no meaning for them.

"Rearranging the whole school routine for a whole month to satisfy the religious needs of a few is totally out of proportion."

Seemd to me like the PC Police are out in full force with this one making sure no one is 'offended'. :rolleyes:
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:08 pm

PC brigade is an understatement.

But on the flip side of all of this, who respects my (lack of) religious wishes? Why do I want Church ramming down my throat at every corner when I clearly don't give a flying stuff about it. Nobody ever thinks about my viewpoint when they shove leaflets through my door, or band on my door and try to give me their newsletters.

Everywhere I look there are places of worship that hold absolutely no interest to me in the slightest, but they are there, and there's nothing I can do about it, nor would wish to, each to their own and all that.

But imagine the outcry if I started a movement to have them all removed because it "offended" me to see them......

Swings and roundabouts, win on one and lose on the other.

It's much the same as race, live and let live for crying out loud!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm

IMF wrote:What's so funny?

Whats so funny is the ridiculous PC, OTT reaction.

What i would like to know is whether a Muslim sanctioned this, or whether someone thought "Oh shit, we had better do it in case one muslim out of the several hundred thousand who live here moans"

I am going for the latter, because that is always the case.

When have you ever heard a Muslim, Sikh or a foreigner bar a few twats moan about say..an English flag being put up?

Yet we are lucky if we can put one up at all without sparking some sort of racial debate about being racist just because we are being patriotic.

Its OTT reactions like this that cause anymosity towards other religions.

Don't look for something that isn't there in my post IMF, i don't give a Bulls testicle if you are Muslim or not, you are an annoying f***er all the same :P ;) :sneaky2:
Last edited by GunnGunn on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Artemis8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:38 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Don't look for something that isn't there IMF, i don't give a Bulls testicle if you are Muslim or not, you are an annoying f**ker all the same :P ;) :sneaky2:

:clap: :clap:
Artemis8

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Can't they just put gaffer tape over their mouths when they go swimming
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Artemis8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:53 pm

A snorkel would work...
Artemis8

Postby Forest » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Last year did alot of work for a Muslim client, used to chat to him alot on breaks and he was quite cheerful and light on certain customs. a couple of things he said were in humour but true

'Its really embarrasing being invited to a party or special occasion and having to sit there while everyone else drinks and eats, i have to explain to them im fasting while they stare at you for being the odd one out'

He was going to a party where he had to wear tradional clothing (as i call it)

'Give me a pair of jeans and shirt anyday'

Same opinions maybe true to other Muslims
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Remembering the recent post regarding personal attacks, can I just remind everyone to adhere to the guidelines

Religion and politics seem to spark major differences here, and it always seems to knock on to different threads, it isn't allowed, so please don't.

Remember, I don't take sides on religion nor race, and although I have very strong anti-Labour views on politics after that last 13 years, I remain neutral on all points and all people regardless. I won't hesitate to use the powers at my disposal to diffuse such arguments, so please remember that while you may have a viewpoint on one thing, virtually everyone else will have a different outlook.

Incidentally, I took some statistics from recent census and local news, and based on those, there are roughly 30,000 Muslims in Britain out of a population of just around 61,000,000. There were over 65,000 Pagans in the last census.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:15 am

All swimming should be banned. I shudder to think how much piss i've accidently had in my mouth at the swimming pools. :(
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby somegooner » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Guys, whoever wrote this article is inciting hatred. I never had to miss out on swimming during Ramadan, if I did not want to swim because it would tire me, I just used to have a note saying I was fasting which was accepted by the school administration.
One of the rules in Islam about fasting is that unless you really need it, you should not act differently from what you normally do during Ramadan. This is a very stupid debate, obviously they should not stop having swimming lessons at the school and the school should be tolerant enough to excuse Muslims that wish to be excused as not all of them will want to be excused from swimming.
somegooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate