Should you protect kids...

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Should you protect kids...

Postby Trina » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 am

Do you think you should protect your kids from the news and what is going on in the world?

Now there are some things I don't openly say to Shannon. But this last week she has picked things up from the news etc.

Such as Madeleine, the girl who was taken. When I asked her what she knew about it, she said her parents were wrong for leaving her in the room alone and that someone has taken her and is looking after her. The thought that anything bad has happened didn't even cross her mind.

Then there is plane that was hi-jacked. She heard about this...now this is one thing I didn't want her hearing about as I don't want it to affect her when she flys.

Do you think kids should know the truth about what's going on in the world? Should they know parts of what is happening or nothing at all?
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Gunnergirl » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:59 am

I would let my kids know parts of what's happening. Somethings are too adult for them to understand. My eldest will keep going on about things he see's on the news and worries about it (He has special needs). Not a lot seems to bother the younger one.
Gunnergirl
Liam Brady

Postby Libertine » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:38 pm

They used to have John Craven's Newsround on the telly when i was a kid, is it still on?

It used to be a bit more 'softly, softly' than just watching the news.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CLS » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:52 pm

i just tell mine parts of the story, but i think they should know that there are some bad people out there,so they know not to trust everyone
but not to young though
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Libertine wrote:They used to have John Craven's Newsround on the telly when i was a kid, is it still on?

It used to be a bit more 'softly, softly' than just watching the news.

I remember that too, not sure if it is still on either.

Both my kids take an interest, and ive always been honest with them & tried to explain it to them the best i can, to suit their age groups.

The Madelaine case has upset Jake(11), but like your Shannon he thinks parents shouldnt leave young children alone, when we talked about it & i tried to focus on the chances of it happening, and eveything thats being done to try & find her, He often still asks about her, if the parents are on the news.

Whereas with Kira cos she's younger (4) i only tell her what i think she should know.
I just told her Maddie is lost & her Mummy & Daddy & the police are trying to find her, when she asked, and reminded her she mustnt talk to strangers cos some people arentvery nice.

Jake is more aware of stuff happening around the world, and when it comes to stuff like natural disasters he's fascinated, we watched a programme on the volcano Krakatoa (sp?) which he loved, think he follows me in that fascination.
But he also realises the dangers.

When it comes to terrorism, his answer to it is shoot them! :shock: :roll: :lol:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Fordy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:28 pm

my dad used to watch the news when i got home from school so i have always known what is going on and it never hurt me.
Fordy

Postby ken day » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Its a big bad evil world, the sooner kids learn it the better, its no good wraping them up in cotton wool, cozit will be worse when they do learn.
The earlier kids know about peados and nutters the beter, they will not be talked into things they know nothing about.
you win some, you lose some, chillout and enjoy life
ken day
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Gurly_Gooner » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:45 pm

I think you should use children like little maddie as an example of what could happen if you talk 2 strangers. just make them aware that not all is as it seems, you just have to do ur best i suppose
Gurly_Gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Gurly_Gooner wrote:I think you should use children like little maddie as an example of what could happen if you talk 2 strangers. just make them aware that not all is as it seems, you just have to do ur best i suppose

Guess thats a bridge you will come across as your little man grows older.

Thats exactly what i told Kira.

Its a sad state of affairs, i look back at the freedom that i had as a kid, and wish i could give my own kids as much, rather than worry everytime they go out,(moreso Jake as Kira is too little, back garden for her atm!) even though paedos were around then, parents werent made aware of as much as it is today.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Gurly_Gooner » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Yeah i know what you mean you shouldnt have to worry about things like this, children should be children and parents should have the reasurrance that their children are safe.
Gurly_Gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby rvtheace » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Give them a few years, and they'll be the ones giving you the news.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to The Big Debate