Capital Punishment

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Postby Git » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:48 pm

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime"

As long as there is evidence enough I believe in the death penalty.

Why should the rest of the country be burdened with extra taxation, paying for a lifer who is having a cushy time in jail? Hell, I'd settle for harsher prisons in most cases.
Last edited by Git on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Libertine » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Git wrote:
Why should the rest of the country be burdened with extra taxation, paying for a lifer who is having a cushy time in jail? Hell, I'd settle for harsher prisons in most cases.

Prison is many things Git, but it isn't cushy.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby rah » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:22 am

until they can prove murder with 100% certainty, it's a flawed idea to have capital punishment.

It's not a deterrent, or America wouldn't have so many murders.

and most studies in America of the costs of keeping someone locked up as opposed to going through the death penalty process have determined that it is more expensive to go for the death route, what with all the appeals etc.

and finally, if we take away someone else's human rights cos they are a criminal, doesn't that just make us as bad as them.
rah
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Number8 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 pm

The problem is that there is always a small theoretical chance that the person has been innocent all along and that the justice system has failed them. When it comes to life sentences there is always an opportunity to reverse that damange, throguh some means of compensation. When you put someone through the death penalty that option is lost. The day someone innocent dies in the name of justice, the whole society become murders.

I would however be in favour of withdrawing certain human rights from the most nastiest of criminals. Enroll them all in some sort of medical program that'd benefit the greater good.
Number8
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Previous

Return to The Big Debate