General Election 2010

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: General Election 2010

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 am

Clegg's party lost seats and ended up with just 57 yet because the Tories need his support he ends up as DPM, if that's his idea of PR I don't think anything of it. The power that the Lib Dems have been given is completely out of proportion to their showing in the election.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed May 12, 2010 5:36 am

rogerthornhill wrote:Clegg's party lost seats and ended up with just 57 yet because the Tories need his support he ends up as DPM, if that's his idea of PR I don't think anything of it. The power that the Lib Dems have been given is completely out of proportion to their showing in the election.

You utter twit.

It is exactly what PR is needed. They actually got more votes than last time but ended up with less seats.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed May 12, 2010 6:39 am

Looks like Sky News were well off yesterday about Paddy Ashdown. Liam Fox is actually defence minister
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 am

Well done everyone for voting the slimiest, nastiest snake into number 10. Proper good job. Watch them systematically kill everything good achieved over the past 13 years (and don't believe the spin, Labour made massive strides). Only hope the Lib Dems can temper the flame a bit

They decided Cameron would win, just like they decided Obama would. What's the point in a free vote when everyone else does what they're told....
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby SE13 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:11 am

I'm delighted. We have seen the back of Brown. He's gone, end of story.

A victory for common sense.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Wed May 12, 2010 7:37 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Well done everyone for voting the slimiest, nastiest snake into number 1http://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=17&p=430435#0. Proper good job. Watch them systematically kill everything good achieved over the past 13 years (and don't believe the spin, Labour made massive strides). Only hope the Lib Dems can temper the flame a bit

They decided Cameron would win, just like they decided Obama would. What's the point in a free vote when everyone else does what they're told....

Didn't you get the memo Cyn?

Any change is good change, regardless of who gets into power!!!! :biggrin:

/End sarcasm.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed May 12, 2010 8:07 am

SE13 wrote:I'm delighted. We have seen the back of Brown. He's gone, end of story.

A victory for common sense.

Same here, I couldnt wait to see the back of that idiot Brown. Pity he's been replaced by another bigger idiot in the form of David Cameron.
Nice to see Clegg as deputy PM though, atleast its a start.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby whee » Wed May 12, 2010 8:17 am

I think the negativity around this decision is astounding.

Rather than embracing this change, people are taking a pessimistic view and saying "nothing will change" or "he'll f**k us over"

Let's just give the t**t a chance, we know it's not going to be a quick and easy fix, but things are made easier when everybody pulls together. Sacrifices will need to be made, but that's what this great nation has been built on, sacrifices.

We've got a national spirit that's still burning strongly and we all need to pull together to help make this work.

Decisions at the top level will now need to be made and agreed, after reasonable, sensible debate, rather than the back-handed, scheming way politics has been done recently.

It's a new start for everybody, a clean slate - first comes stabilising, then comes the cleaning up process. It won't be quick, it won't be easy, anybody who thinks otherwise is a pleb.

But f**k me people, let's do this, let's show the rest of Europe how a country should be fuckin ran, with the honest, hard-working people all having their say.

Now is the time to put the Great nation back on it's feet, standing proud. Let us once again be the example to the rest of Europe.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Galls » Wed May 12, 2010 8:39 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Well done everyone for voting the slimiest, nastiest snake into number 10. Proper good job. Watch them systematically kill everything good achieved over the past 13 years (and don't believe the spin, Labour made massive strides). Only hope the Lib Dems can temper the flame a bit

I just wanted to put my point across on this bit.
I work for the NHS. I invite you to come to work with me this weekend and spend 8hrs with me in my department (A&E) and see just what *GOOD* things the Labour govt did for us. The NHS is in utter utter meltdown and all everyone gives a fig about is waiting times, targets, and figures. I see this on a DAILY basis with patient care coming a very poor second. Incidently just in case you think I'm making this up, if you fail to meet a 4hr target for waits in A&E you are FINED. How is that protecting the interests of patients? I have worked for the NHS for 20yrs. It is worse now than at any other time of my employment. Don;t get me wrong, targets are important but over and above standards of patient care/ I don't think so. We're told that we now have more nurses and doctors than ever before but I honestly can't see where they get that from. We still operate on roughly the same numbers of staff in our department with I would say a 10 or 20% increase in numbers walking through the doors. Every department in the hospital is shortstaffed.

I did have an op recently on the NHS - from referral to 1st consultation to op was about 10 weeks - not bad. But I did NOT get the consultant I wanted (as I would have done in the old days) despite working for the place (well you have to try don't you!) and my follow up appointment with results and discussion of what happens next was 1 hr after I;d come round from anaesthetic. Yea, delightful. Poor, poor care and I bloody work for them!

I absolutely love my job, in what I do on a daily basis because I make a difference to people's lives. But don't think for one second that I would not leave and go and do something else if I could and I'm not the only one who thinks that. Unfortunately I need to work to pay my bills (and for all those layabouts out there who refuse to work because mugs like us will pay for them...don't get me going on that one!) and the convienience of my job in terms of hours suit my childcare arrangements. That's all that's keeping me there - mortgage repayments and no need for full time childcare cos I work opposite my husband.

I'm not saying - or even thinking, I'm not that stupid! - that the Tory/Lib Dem coalition will change how I feel about the NHS but as far as I can see at the moment it can't really get any worse.

<steps off soap box and walks away quietly>
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby whee » Wed May 12, 2010 8:51 am

Well, fingers crossed for you Galls that Cameron keeps Cleggs fingers away from the NHS.

Clegg - "we're going to cut the numbers of administrational staff in the NHS and use that 2.5 billions pounds in the educational system!"

A whole 2.5 billion pounds, that'll make a difference to education. Not.

But it will f**k the NHS over royally.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed May 12, 2010 9:15 am

UFGN wrote:
rogerthornhill wrote:Clegg's party lost seats and ended up with just 57 yet because the Tories need his support he ends up as DPM, if that's his idea of PR I don't think anything of it. The power that the Lib Dems have been given is completely out of proportion to their showing in the election.

You utter twit.

It is exactly what PR is needed. They actually got more votes than last time but ended up with less seats.

It's a pity that you have to resort to personal insults but coming from someone like you it's hardly a surprise. So why don't you enlighten everyone and tell us all precisely what is wrong with the electoral system?. Never mind the old complaints about how many votes it takes to return a Lib Dem MP, they are playing under the same rules as the Labour and Conservative parties. The Lib Dems finish second in many constituencies but why is that the fault of the electoral system? Others say that their supporters are concentrated in particular areas of the country, so why is geographical location of their supporters the fault of the electoral system?.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am

rogerthornhill wrote:
UFGN wrote:

You utter twit.

It's a pity that you have to resort to personal insults but coming from someone like you it's hardly a surprise. So why don't you enlighten everyone and tell us all precisely what is wrong with the electoral system?. Never mind the old complaints about how many votes it takes to return a Lib Dem MP, they are playing under the same rules as the Labour and Conservative parties. The Lib Dems finish second in many constituencies but why is that the fault of the electoral system? Others say that their supporters are concentrated in particular areas of the country, so why is geographical location of their supporters the fault of the electoral system?.

Look if you are going to criticise PR and you dont understand how it works that is a silly thing to do. Do me a favour and look up the thread on Proportional Representation I wrote about a year ago. It has a very complete description of the problem and the solution in the OP. Im at work so I cant
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby whee » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am

rogerthornhill wrote:
UFGN wrote:

You utter twit.

PR man, it'll save the world. Woop.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Galls » Wed May 12, 2010 11:57 am

whee wrote:Well, fingers crossed for you Galls that Cameron keeps Cleggs fingers away from the NHS.

Clegg - "we're going to cut the numbers of administrational staff in the NHS and use that 2.5 billions pounds in the educational system!"

A whole 2.5 billion pounds, that'll make a difference to education. Not.

But it will f**k the NHS over royally.

Oh I agree, and i also am a little worried about what Cameron himself will do to the NHS!

But you know what, i bet they could cut 2.5 billion from the NHS - from he right places - and either use it in the right places in the NHS or put it towards education.
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Forest » Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 pm

more cuts in the nhs? the famous queens medical centre will have no staff left at this rate

anyways labour let the country grow out of control and who ever got into power has no choice but to make cuts

woooooooooooooooooooo! change! yeah!
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate