Lying Sun filth and Murdoch trying to steal the election

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Lying Sun filth and Murdoch trying to steal the election

Postby UFGN » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:18 pm

SE13 wrote:
UFGN wrote:If we had Proportional Representation in this country

I've been bleating on about this for years, generally falling on deaf ears.

Surely that's the fairest way of doing it, was it 1974 when the Tories polled most votes, but had far less seats than Labour in the hung parliament election.

And again possibly 1983 when the Liberals had a massive share of the common vote, and returned only a handful of seats.

Yes it must happen if we ever want real democracy.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby SE13 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:24 pm

UFGN wrote:
SE13 wrote:
UFGN wrote:If we had Proportional Representation in this country

I've been bleating on about this for years, generally falling on deaf ears.

Surely that's the fairest way of doing it, was it 1974 when the Tories polled most votes, but had far less seats than Labour in the hung parliament election.

And again possibly 1983 when the Liberals had a massive share of the common vote, and returned only a handful of seats.

Yes it must happen if we ever want real democracy.

I'm going to have a google for some evidence of my post, but I'm sure it was 83 when the Liberals polled about ½million less votes than Labour, but Labour got 200+ seats, Liberals got about 15.

However, the two big players control things, and they aren't about to allow anyone else a sniff, so they will always vote to keep things as they are.

Let's face it, it's not been a democracy here for years, where are our referendums for starters? Why should we suffer whatever they decide, especially when for at least half of the population, we didn't vote them in.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:24 pm

It sucks for sure, I have not read any papers for years apart from the odd free one on the train.

The Sun are scheming to do that and as has been mentioned, some of the Mirrors anti-tory headlines have reeked of bias too.

I used to complain all the time about how businesses around the world go on and the shady practices of big corporations but there really is not much that can be done. They all act the same way, all businesses act as much in their own interest as they possibly can. Some businesses try and influence elections, others support illegal actions, others destroy the environment with their waste, others cause death through deliberate negligence, others abuse their customers needs for maximum cost which causes absolute poverty.

They all do it and they are all as bad as eachother and the law is set up so that they will never be accountable. I am past caring now to be honest, it is futile trying to get corporations to act honourably.

#slightly off topic rant over#

I wouldn't worry too much about the sun UFGN, if the stat that only 2 out of 5 sun readers vote is true then it will not be that damaging. I am sure an equal if not larger percentage of labour biased mirror readers vote which will balance it out.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:34 pm

This is from Wiki, and while it's not the most reliable, it puts the point over:

1983 election.

Tories: Votes: 13,012,316 Seats: 397
Labour: Votes: 8,456,934 Seats: 209
Liberal: Votes: 7,780,949 Seats: 23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin ... tion,_1983

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:47 pm

SE13 wrote:This is from Wiki, and while it's not the most reliable, it puts the point over:

1983 election.

Tories: Votes: 13,012,316 Seats: 397
Labour: Votes: 8,456,934 Seats: 209
Liberal: Votes: 7,780,949 Seats: 23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin ... tion,_1983

That doesn't make any sense.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Exactly!

Proportional representation would have given the SDP/Liberals almost as many seats as Labour, but it wasn't in place.

The votes cast are from the entire UK. Liberal presumably were a close third in all the seats they contested.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:23 pm

SE13 wrote:Exactly!

Proportional representation would have given the SDP/Liberals almost as many seats as Labour, but it wasn't in place.

The votes cast are from the entire UK. Liberal presumably were a close third in all the seats they contested.

Remember my thread?

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8022&hilit=representation
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby SE13 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:37 am

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Previous

Return to The Big Debate