£5.80 an hour (in London)

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: £5.80 an hour (in London)

Postby Leody » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Poverty monger?

So the "poverty monger" as you like to call it goes out of business... then the people that he/she did employ no longer have anything and the "poverty monger" is now in poverty too...

Great, the poverty ranks have grown. Problem solved.

I guess I'm of the mind that something is better than nothing at all and clearly you are not...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Leody wrote:Poverty monger?

So the "poverty monger" as you like to call it goes out of business... then the people that he/she did employ no longer have anything and the "poverty monger" is now in poverty too...

Great, the poverty ranks have grown. Problem solved.

I guess I'm of the mind that something is better than nothing at all and clearly you are not...

UFGN wrote:It has been the case for far too long that poverty wages are justified by suggesting that many jobs will be lost if employers cant get their own way.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Leody » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I guess we'll find out who was right now... :dontknow:

One thing I can assure you, small business will suffer greatly. Or I know of at least one that will. The jobs may be made up by big corporate chains, but the days of the mom and pop shop are numbered I fear. Total jobs available may or may not change... who knows?
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goose » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:19 pm

I see your point Leody and sure, there are genuine small businesses who cannot afford to pay their staff good wages or are struggling and going out of businesses.

But on the flip side, there are plenty businesses who pay pay their staff a pittance and owners earn tons of money from said business.

I used to work in one of Alan Sugars companies, the pay was awful in relation to what we were doing and generating as sales people.

The production staff were ALL Polish and probably paid minimum wage, they used to work mad overtime to make ends meet and were kept on a seperate part o the building which we could not access, so we could not even associate.

One of the directors used to buy a new car every couple of months, he had an Aston Martin DB9, a DB7, a Porsche Carrera 911, a Porsche Cayenne and loads of other cars, I was struggling to put petrol in my car and he had tons of them.

We hada meeting and were told we wouldnt get a pay rise as the company had to make cut backs, people were being made redundant and he told us he hadnt had a pay rise for years himself, everyone was saying, yeah its ok for him, hes a millionaire.

He then went on to tell us not to bother looking for a job elsewhere as there are none and we wont find any and it was better to stay for at least a year or two more before we looked elsewhere, I found it a piss take.

Some businesses are using the recession as an excuse to shaft their staff, while other businesses are generally struggling.
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby UFGN » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Yes the recession is being used as an excuse. Look at that BA strike, I doubt many people know what its actually about. The company are trying to lay off staff, drastically cut pay for new staff, cut travel privilages and all sorts. But the naughty BA cabin crew should just take it. f**k that! STRIKE!

Wait till the Tube kicks off. Now many times those guys have taken the piss striking for no good reason. This time though, its over EIGHT HUNDRED JOB CUTS.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby gooneritis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 am

seems like i'll struggle when i move back to the uk the way things are going.

things aren't the easiest out here atm but it sounds proper f***ked back home.

then again i've a uni degree here and despite applying everywhere it's gotten me nowhere. i've a 25,000 dollar uni debt to pay (it rises in interest each year too) and am currently labouring for a living. no future in that at all and my degree has totally failed in helping get a job in what im qualified for. its quite depressing facing the reality i may not get the chance to work the industry i trained 4 years and $25,000 for and may have to spend life as a labourer with no chance of advancing that.
we've another labourer who's 34 and been a labourer all his life, i think i'll jump off a building if im stuck in that position at that age. it's only OK pay and unlike even a simple office job there's no possibility of advancement.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby whee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 am

Glad I got out of the bastard when I did.

Really surprised at how few people have actually packed bags and f***ked off though. You don't need to have a shed load of cash to go and live abroad for a few years.

Get enough dosh in your pockets for a one way flight to wherever you fancy..... get off the plane.... find a hostel - sorted until you've got a bit of work lined up.

Ok you're living in a hole for the time being - but where's your bills gone? Beyond room rental, you've ditched responsibility and you're away.

You'll meet some of the most amazing people and actually live life the way it was meant to be lived - with a massive grin and the feeling of genuine self fulfilment that so many strive for.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Forest » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:01 am

whee i read that record numbers left the uk last year and some polish people were evening going back home which you know the countries f'ked when that happens.

if the minimim wage wasnt in place then that cafe worker would be earning id say £4 maybe £4.50 an hr being realistic, but as someone said its unskilled labour and the amount of people doin that job or can do it is huge, not like you need a apprenticeship or PHD.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby whee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 am

gunner2018 wrote:whee i read that record numbers left the uk last year

They can make stats say anything though - most of those were on planes for Afghan haha ;)

Seriously though, how many people do you know personally whose patience ran out and they just upped and left? Stats say loads of people left, but how many people actually know anybody who has?
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Forest » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 am

whee wrote:
gunner2018 wrote:whee i read that record numbers left the uk last year

They can make stats say anything though - most of those were on planes for Afghan haha ;)

Seriously though, how many people do you know personally whose patience ran out and they just upped and left? Stats say loads of people left, but how many people actually know anybody who has?

i take your point about that first bit

i know or known of 4 couples who have and all to diff places too, sydney, new zealand, france and you guessed it spain.
fear and family is what holds people back which you can understand
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby whee » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 am

How many of those were because of job opportunities/offers though bud? That's not as much a step into the unknown as it could be.

Mine's probably more applicable to lads/birds without families who are 17-30 who struggle to make ends meet each month. Basically, the people who have absolutely nothing holding them back, or tying them to the UK. These people should just be getting on planes and going somewhere new to see what they can make of it, rather than bitching and whinging about their minimum wage and how their life sucks.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:57 pm

whee wrote:Glad I got out of the bastard when I did.

Really surprised at how few people have actually packed bags and f***ked off though. You don't need to have a shed load of cash to go and live abroad for a few years.

Get enough dosh in your pockets for a one way flight to wherever you fancy..... get off the plane.... find a hostel - sorted until you've got a bit of work lined up.

Ok you're living in a hole for the time being - but where's your bills gone? Beyond room rental, you've ditched responsibility and you're away.

You'll meet some of the most amazing people and actually live life the way it was meant to be lived - with a massive grin and the feeling of genuine self fulfilment that so many strive for.

Im very tempted to do just that but at nearly 30 I think I might be too old for it TBH

UFGN

Postby whee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:08 am

What you on about mate? How can you be nearly too old for it haha?!?!

Think about it, what have you got tying you down to this country? A car, car tax, car insurance - all easily f***ked off.

A mortgage? I'm gonna say you probably rent and therefore don't have a mortgage - just a guess, but if that's the case, then that's easily sorted too.

I know you don't have a Mrs and kids - so no worries there. Any other family members close to you will probably be asking themselves why you haven't done it already.

It's so easy it's untrue. There are lots of travel advice websites, places where you can get European railcards etc. f**k it, what's the worse that could happen pal?

If I hadn't landed on my feet last Summer, christ knows where i'd be now - one things for sure, I wouldn't still be living at home, doing my bullshit 9-5 Mon-Fri, earning just about enough to scrape by each month.

I'm quite passionate about this. If you look at your own life and think "what the f**k am I doing this for?" then you clearly need to change something. People constantly moan about not being happy - here's one way to change it.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:47 pm

whee wrote:What you on about mate? How can you be nearly too old for it haha?!?!

Think about it, what have you got tying you down to this country? A car, car tax, car insurance - all easily f***ked off.

A mortgage? I'm gonna say you probably rent and therefore don't have a mortgage - just a guess, but if that's the case, then that's easily sorted too.

I know you don't have a Mrs and kids - so no worries there. Any other family members close to you will probably be asking themselves why you haven't done it already.

It's so easy it's untrue. There are lots of travel advice websites, places where you can get European railcards etc. f**k it, what's the worse that could happen pal?

If I hadn't landed on my feet last Summer, christ knows where i'd be now - one things for sure, I wouldn't still be living at home, doing my bullshit 9-5 Mon-Fri, earning just about enough to scrape by each month.

I'm quite passionate about this. If you look at your own life and think "what the f**k am I doing this for?" then you clearly need to change something. People constantly moan about not being happy - here's one way to change it.

:think:

UFGN

Postby whee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:36 am

Give it some thought pal - you could do worse.

What are you doing at the minute? Do you get a sense of fulfilment from life? A sense of self-satisfaction when you wake up?

I'd rather be waking up in another country and getting by alright, than struggling like f**k in a country that can't keep it's house in order, or look after its own.

Just my opinion though.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to The Big Debate