School stops child of lesbian parents enrolling

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

School stops child of lesbian parents enrolling

Postby Galls » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 pm

A Catholic school has decided not to allow a pre-school child to enrol next year because her parents are lesbians.

Now the community has rallied to protest at the school's decision to uphold a policy not to let children of same sex parents attend.

The child already attends the school's preschool programme but it was recently decided not to allow her to move up to kindergarten next year.Father William Breslin talked about the decision of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School in Colorado in a recent sermon and also on his blog.

"If a child of gay parents comes to our school, and we teach that gay marriage is against the will of God, then the child will think that we are saying their parents are bad," he writes. "We don't want to put any child in that tough position."

However, the school's stance has provoked protests from the community. "It's clear if they only accept students with perfect parents, they would have almost nobody," Beth Osnes, a protest organiser said. "I know they have the right to, but why would they want to?"

Spokeswoman for the archdiocese, Jeanette DeMelo, told the Denver Post the student is in the school's preschool program and will be allowed to finish the year.

She added it became a matter of policy after school officials, who didn't ask questions about sexual orientation during enrolment, found out about the parents.

"We're not trying to weed out people," she told the Post. "But when they can't agree with our Catholic philosophy, it really makes it difficult to be a strong part of the school community; it's a difficult situation."

But the issue doesn't appear a difficult one for the protestors.

"It's not the teachings of Jesus. We are all created equal," Joellen Raderstorf of Boulder tells the Post.

The child and her family have obviously coped with the school's teachings during her time as a preschooler so it seems a bit pointless and quite cruel making her leave now.

If the sexual orientation of pupils' parents is that important perhaps the school should make it a point to ask during the enrolment process.

© http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2010/03/11/ ... enrolling/

How ridiculous. Who on earth decides what constitutes a *normal* family anyhow. And will they decide not to allow children from single parent families to attend either becasue there isn't a mum and dad at home? What about unmarried parents?

Surely what should be important - even in the eyes of God - is that a child is loved and nurtured, and supported in becoming a well rounded individual and a part of the community as a whole.
My daughter is baptised catholic (my hubby is catholic) and we decided to send her to a catholic school believing that their education and morals to be of a high standard. We are having second thoughts tonight.
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Re: School stops child of lesbian parents enrolling

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:38 pm

But surely the parents should've known they'd be met with resistance at a Roman Catholic School?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Not saying I agree with the school, mind. I mean you'd think catholics would be the last to cast stones and all that rhetoric.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Galls » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:48 pm

I get your point but then you'd think a set of parents want to bring their child up, perhaps in their own faith - maybe it just wouldn't enter thier head that it would be a problem. And the child as accepted into reception class so why would they think differently?
Galls
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby SE13 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am

My kids will all be going to a Catholic secondary school, or at least that's the plan. Wonder if they will be banned due to my atheism?

HTMBO is Catholic though, and attended the very same school.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby TheLittleMozart » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:05 am

To be fair though, if both parents were Catholic then they should have known that thier marrage was bascially going against thier faith and with the Church knowing about this, things were never going to be easy.

Not saying I agree, but they do make a very valid point about the fact that they do teach about how wrong same sex marrages in and how it is acting against gods will and this cannot be good for a young child to learn.

I really do detest catholic school though,as I see them as nothing more than brainwashing cults for the young, essentially.
BUT, thats another point for another debate...
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby whee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:27 am

So let me get this straight.

An organisation, makes a decision based on their moral standing, their own teachings and also on their faith. A decision that is 100% honest, makes sense to anybody with an open mind and isn't at all hypocritical.

Yet they're slated for it.

Well, they can't win can they.

In my book, the non-catholic, non-religious book, they've done absolutely the right thing.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gzagee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:37 am

whee wrote:So let me get this straight.

An organisation, makes a decision based on their moral standing, their own teachings and also on their faith. A decision that is 100% honest, makes sense to anybody with an open mind and isn't at all hypocritical.

Yet they're slated for it.

Well, they can't win can they.

In my book, the non-catholic, non-religious book, they've done absolutely the right thing.

I don't understand... :smartass:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby whee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:57 am

You cheeky bastard Gza, of course you do as you know their decision makes perfect sense :D

Is there any pictures/video's of the lesbians in question? At the end of the day, that's what it all boils down to. If they're the mint blonde and brunette couple.... grant them their wish. If they're complete rotter's, then it's a simple 'I don't think so.'
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:12 pm

whee wrote:You cheeky bastard Gza, of course you do as you know their decision makes perfect sense :D

Is there any pictures/video's of the lesbians in question? At the end of the day, that's what it all boils down to. If they're the mint blonde and brunette couple.... grant them their wish. If they're complete rotter's, then it's a simple 'I don't think so.'

Wisdom beyond your years! :lol: :hail:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Its a Catholic school which means its likely not governed by government funding, if so they can do whatever they like. You may not like their decision but that's irrelevant.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby StLGooner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Galls wrote:
A Catholic school has decided not to allow a pre-school child to enrol next year because her parents are lesbians.

Now the community has rallied to protest at the school's decision to uphold a policy not to let children of same sex parents attend.

The child already attends the school's preschool programme but it was recently decided not to allow her to move up to kindergarten next year.Father William Breslin talked about the decision of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School in Colorado in a recent sermon and also on his blog.

"If a child of gay parents comes to our school, and we teach that gay marriage is against the will of God, then the child will think that we are saying their parents are bad," he writes. "We don't want to put any child in that tough position."

However, the school's stance has provoked protests from the community. "It's clear if they only accept students with perfect parents, they would have almost nobody," Beth Osnes, a protest organiser said. "I know they have the right to, but why would they want to?"

Spokeswoman for the archdiocese, Jeanette DeMelo, told the Denver Post the student is in the school's preschool program and will be allowed to finish the year.

She added it became a matter of policy after school officials, who didn't ask questions about sexual orientation during enrolment, found out about the parents.

"We're not trying to weed out people," she told the Post. "But when they can't agree with our Catholic philosophy, it really makes it difficult to be a strong part of the school community; it's a difficult situation."

But the issue doesn't appear a difficult one for the protestors.

"It's not the teachings of Jesus. We are all created equal," Joellen Raderstorf of Boulder tells the Post.

The child and her family have obviously coped with the school's teachings during her time as a preschooler so it seems a bit pointless and quite cruel making her leave now.

If the sexual orientation of pupils' parents is that important perhaps the school should make it a point to ask during the enrolment process.

© http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2010/03/11/ ... enrolling/

How ridiculous. Who on earth decides what constitutes a *normal* family anyhow. And will they decide not to allow children from single parent families to attend either becasue there isn't a mum and dad at home? What about unmarried parents?

Surely what should be important - even in the eyes of God - is that a child is loved and nurtured, and supported in becoming a well rounded individual and a part of the community as a whole.
My daughter is baptised catholic (my hubby is catholic) and we decided to send her to a catholic school believing that their education and morals to be of a high standard. We are having second thoughts tonight.

If you're Catholic then shouldn't you believe what the bible says, that being gay is wrong? And if you don't believe that, then why practice a faith if you don't agree with everything in it?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:12 pm

The head of the school gave his very logical reasoning for not allowing the child.

They teach that gay marriage is against the will of God and they don't want to make the child think that there is something wrong with their parents...

Surely they've done the sensible and correct thing...

My question is why on earth did the parents enroll their child at that school?
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Leody wrote:The head of the school gave his very logical reasoning for not allowing the child.

They teach that gay marriage is against the will of God and they don't want to make the child think that there is something wrong with their parents...

Surely they've done the sensible and correct thing...

My question is why on earth did the parents enroll their child at that school?

Exactly! They were probably looking to be turned down so they can complain about it and hope everyone feels sorry for them and their poor little child. Idiots!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

What the school should do is accept them now and over the years drum the fact that same sex relationships are against the will of God until the child becomes doubtful, distant and eventually estranged from them and when the parents are in a mess wondering where their relationship went wrong the school can turn around and say

"Well you should have just chosen another school like we said rather than kick up a fuss"
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Big Debate