Open carry: Good or Bad?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Open carry: Good or Bad?

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Im sorry but a bunch of hand picked stats from a gun lobby doesnt really mean much. Gun crime has risen here there is no doubt but to suggest that gun crime is underreported or covered up here is laughable. The media are all over every case like a rash. The Police are independent. The murder rate is what it is. I dont trust the gvmt much but I can see what would be plausable to hide and what wouldnt.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Leody » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 pm

UFGN wrote:Im sorry but a bunch of hand picked stats from a gun lobby doesnt really mean much. Gun crime has risen here there is no doubt but to suggest that gun crime is underreported or covered up here is laughable. The media are all over every case like a rash. The Police are independent. The murder rate is what it is. I dont trust the gvmt much but I can see what would be plausable to hide and what wouldnt.

Then a bunch of hand picked stats from gun banning lobbies really doesn't mean much.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Leody wrote:
UFGN wrote:Im sorry but a bunch of hand picked stats from a gun lobby doesnt really mean much. Gun crime has risen here there is no doubt but to suggest that gun crime is underreported or covered up here is laughable. The media are all over every case like a rash. The Police are independent. The murder rate is what it is. I dont trust the gvmt much but I can see what would be plausable to hide and what wouldnt.

Then a bunch of hand picked stats from gun banning lobbies really doesn't mean much.

I have only refered to crime stats, nothing else. They are not a matter of opinion. How do you explain the higher murder rate in the USA if its not because you have more guns?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Leody » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:25 pm

I thought I already did...

We count 3 people killing 1 person as 3 murders and you don't count it if the criminal isn't convicted or if they do you count it you only cont it as one...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:27 pm

And only looking at the murder rate is only look at part of the problem. Sure you may have decreased the murder rate by banning guns, but like in the case of Australia all other forms of violent crime increased substantially.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:37 pm

I would need to check those stats re the number of convictions but the bottom line is, more folks get smoked there than here. Not saying it as a silly boast or anything but it stands to reason...ban weapons, control weapons, you will reduce violent crime (As part of a wider raft of measures including prevention in schools etc)

Knife crime has gone up here. Fact. Why? Do you think its because more knives are being carried now or because less knives are being carried now?

UFGN

Postby Leody » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:02 pm

As I said before, the weapons are not the problem. It is the people that are miss using them.

You will never get rid of them all. Just look at men in prison they will make knives out of plastic toothbrush and kill people with them.

The only people that are going to follow weapon bans are the law abiding citizens. Those who don't follow laws are still going to get them. So why would you handicap the innocents?

That's the problem at its core.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Leody wrote:
The only people that are going to follow weapon bans are the law abiding citizens. Those who don't follow laws are still going to get them. So why would you handicap the innocents?

That's the problem at its core.

In a situation where someone threatened me with a gun during a robbery or whatever, I would probably be less likely to get shot if I had no weapon. And so would you.

UFGN

Postby Leody » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:22 pm

And using that same flawed logic which is purely your opinion and based on no facts whatsoever...

In a situation where somebody was threatening me with a gun during a robbery there is little chance he would shoot me if I shot him first.

And just because I have a weapon doesn't mean I have to use it, or that he would even know I have it. It is my option. And I'd much rather be playing on an even playing field if that situation ever came about.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Leody wrote:
In a situation where somebody was threatening me with a gun during a robbery there is little chance he would shoot me if I shot him first.

And just because I have a weapon doesn't mean I have to use it, or that he would even know I have it. It is my option. And I'd much rather be playing on an even playing field if that situation ever came about.

Where as I would be less likely to face with the problem..... because gun crime is lower here. Because we dont let everyone who fancies a gun buy as many as they like. Or any, in fact. :biggrin:

UFGN

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:44 pm

I have 3 samurai swords for home defence, to each his own :)
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:46 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I have 3 samurai swords for home defence, to each his own :)

I actually own very little worth nicking and thats probably the best defence of all. ;)

UFGN

Postby gzagee » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 am

UFGN wrote:
Leody wrote:

Where as I would be less likely to face with the problem..... because gun crime is lower here. Because we dont let everyone who fancies a gun buy as many as they like. Or any, in fact. :biggrin:

Actually you can buy a shotgun with a gun licence approved by the Chief of Police, after stringent checks have been performed.

FACT.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 am

Do you need to have a reason to own a shotgun over here, like animal control in farms or similar situations?

If I was the president of the USA I would ban all guns, I wouldn't care what the voters thought. But then again I could never be president of the USA as I am not capable of getting up that early in the morning.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:03 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:Do you need to have a reason to own a shotgun over here, like animal control in farms or similar situations?

If I was the president of the USA I would ban all guns, I wouldn't care what the voters thought. But then again I could never be president of the USA as I am not capable of getting up that early in the morning.

And the supreme court would veto your law as being unconstitutional and tell you to get bent and f**k off. Guns are a constitutional right here to keep the government in check. We rebelled against England for just this very reason. Government becoming an overbearing and all-controlling aspect of our lives.

One VERY important thing that you will never understand and most Americans have even lost sight of is the national government in our country has never and was never intended to have any power. Over the years people have lost sight of this and let them run rampant and trample our liberties.

The States are meant to have all the power to govern within The United States. Each State should be more along the lines of its own individual country with laws of its own. But somewhere along the lines in the early 1900's people began to let national government grow unchecked an supersede state laws.

Look, there is no concrete evidence that gun bans do anything to change crime rates. For every murder rate stat you can point to I can point to several other violent crime rates that has had the opposite change. The fact of the matter is guns are here and they are here to stay. No matter how many bans you put into place they will never disappear. People that want to use them to cause harm will always find a way of getting them and if they can't find a gun they will find something else to use. So I choose to have a gun to make it a fair fight. I would rather my wife/girlfriend/loved one/whatever or myself go into a fight against a 250lb man with a knife or whatever other weapon equipped with a gun. Because that makes the fight as close to fair as it will ever be. A 125lb woman with a gun stands a much better chance at defending herself against a 250lb man with a gun/knife/crowbar/hammer/whatever than unarmed. And don't give me this unarmed you stand a better chance of not being shot bullshit, because you stand a 100% chance of being robbed/mugged/raped/assaulted/whatever the f**k the criminal wants to do to you if you only have your hands to defend yourself.

You don't want to own them, fine... don't, I don't care.

But don't tell me how to live my life and what I should or shouldn't do because it's none of your God Damn Business what the f**k I do...

Period, end of story, f**k off.

I can not stress to you enough how people like like piss me right the f**k off. You have no right to tell me what's right or wrong. Who the f**k are you? Are you God? No? Then get lost.

Criminals are going to commit crimes, they are going to rob people, they are going to mug people, they are going to rape people, they are going to kill people... regardless of weather or not they have a gun in their hands.

Get it through your thick skull, guns are not the problem. The people are the problem.

You think Kane needed a gun to kill Able???

Jesus... it's like arguing with a wall... I give up.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate