Open carry: Good or Bad?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Open carry: Good or Bad?

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 am

By the way Rev, that wasn't just directed at you... just the topic in general and I used your post because your comment about signing a law.

And the President can't just make laws in the United States. Every law has to be voted on and approved by the house of representatives, the senate and the supreme court. There are... oh... just about 400 people involved.

The President doesn't have half the power people like to think he does...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:13 pm

I know it wasn't Leody. I don't agree with your points of view but I won't debate them as you are getting really worked up and the topic isn't as important to me as it is to you.

The only thing I will say is that calling people thick and telling people to f**k off because they don't agree with you is not the way we want the debates section to roll. I thought the debate was going ok despite the tense nature and I don't want it to wobble over as I like it when we are able to have these discussions and keep them on a level. I know what you said is minor (which is why I am not having a massive go) but it has the potential to escalate and I am fed up of similar topics in the debate section always heading that way over the years.

I know some topics can be emotional if you feel passionate but please take a breath before you post. Again, that goes for everyone, not just you Leody.

Fabrestuta: I have deleted the post you made to UFGN on the other page. That was an absolutely unacceptable post. I am glad you are back on the forum but not if you are going to make insulting posts like that so please keep your anger in check and don't make any more posts of that nature or you will be banned from the debates section at the very least.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Wasn't a personal attack on anybody when I said that. Just people that think everybody should live their life like they want them to in general. That really bothers me.

I don't even own a gun personally, but telling people what they can and cannot do to take care of themselves and loved ones it very wrong in my opinion.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 am

Sorry Rev, you are right, I was out of order. Grabs had a go first, which I hope was also noted, but I certainly shouldn't have said what I said.
Mea culpa.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:43 am

gzagee wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Leody wrote:
In a situation where somebody was threatening me with a gun during a robbery there is little chance he would shoot me if I shot him first.

And just because I have a weapon doesn't mean I have to use it, or that he would even know I have it. It is my option. And I'd much rather be playing on an even playing field if that situation ever came about.

Where as I would be less likely to face with the problem..... because gun crime is lower here. Because we dont let everyone who fancies a gun buy as many as they like. Or any, in fact. :biggrin:

Actually you can buy a shotgun with a gun licence approved by the Chief of Police, after stringent checks have been performed.

FACT.

You need a FAC or SGC, which can be obtained easily, should you be a member of, or join a gun club, you must then remain at that gun club to be considered to have a legitimate reason for owning one, and of course, you must be checked and in some cases, have a referee who already owns a FAC, the Chief of Police does not grant it...

All guns have to be locked, unloaded in a secure kitemarked (British standard) gun safe/locker.

This doesn't just apply to shotguns, it applies to shotguns and Rifles, including Air Rifles over 12 ftlb due to the power and therefore require the certificate.

There is no limit to how many firearms or ammunition you can apply for.

The legal age for owning a Shotgun in this country, have a gander? THERE IS NO MINIMUM AGE.

At 14, a child can use a shotgun, but cannot store one or buy one, or ammunition, at 17, they can.

I suggest a read up (Not to you Gza) on FAC's and the law, because for a country which supposedly is so very opposed to firearms, it is extremely easy, to legally obtain and use them.

Don't shit where you eat an all that...
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:47 am

Every Irish farmer has a shotgun, and it's pretty easy to get a shotgun if you don't have a criminal record.
To say no guns are around is naive. Funnily enough the only time you hear about gun deaths is when a crim kills someone. England has a pretty high rate of knife crime, shall we ban knives also?
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Artemis8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:59 am

Leody wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:Guns are a constitutional right here to keep the government in check. We rebelled against England for just this very reason.

Id have to disagree. Obviously there is no "official reason" for the rebellion. Although some historians in England have concluded it was our attempt to squash the idea of an American currency. Obviously by having the yanks using our currency we would of still in some way controlled the country.

Actually come to think of it we already do rule America, thing is they just dont know it. :rofll:
Artemis8

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02 am

If you want to talk stats, check the highest murder rate per capita. Don't just talk about gun violence. America has a higher murder rate per capita than Britain, but you have to assume at least one third of those are not gun murders (at the very least)., so that kind of takes a piss on the whole gun thing, if you want to check records many, MANY people in America were saved from rape, violence, death by shooting their attacker.
If someone pulls a knife on you, and means to kill you, does having a gun make you a bad person?

Again, the per capita rate does not lie

America has 0.042802 murders per 1,000 people
Britain has 0.0140633 murders per 1,000 people

Yeah Britain is REALLY safe and you won't see violent crime.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:12 am

Crime per capita (including violent crime) we see a difference

Britain # 6 85.5517 per 1,000 people

United States: #8 80.0645 per 1,000 people

Yes guns kill people, but it's guns in the wrong hands that kill people.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Artemis8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:16 am

Fabrestuta wrote:Yes guns kill people

Guns dont kill people. Rappers do.... :glassesbig:
Artemis8

Postby Massa » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:34 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
djaxster wrote:i once told a NYCop that the difference, between US and UK Cops is that the UK cops Don,t carry guns and can run cos they are not fat doughnut eating trigger happy W****rs. Luckily he thought W****rs was complimentary...

:rofll:

It always makes me laugh how Americans have never heard the words 'w***er' and 't***er'.
Next time I go there I'll find a way to use it to my advantage.

Maybe the older generation, but I'm pretty sure people my age and young know what those mean.

Let's try it out.

You w***er.

:hiding:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Massa » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:37 pm

Just different ways of insulting people.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Massa » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Waheey that was my 5000th post :D
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Massa » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby UFGN » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Jay22 wrote:
Massa wrote:Just different ways of insulting people.

Thanks for letting me know. :tumbleweed:

A w***er or t***er is a gentleman who regularly endulges in manual self manipulation.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate