In All Fairness, Would we Have Got Away With This...?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

In All Fairness, Would we Have Got Away With This...?

Postby SE13 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 pm

A police dog handler who left two animals to die from heatstroke has been found guilty of animal cruelty.

Pc Mark Johnson, 39, left the German Shepherds in temperatures of 29.3C (84.7F) in June last year when parked at Nottinghamshire Police headquarters.

He told Nottingham magistrates he was suffering from depression and obsessive compulsive disorder when he forgot to check the dogs for seven hours.

He was given a six-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £2,500.

After the case, Nottinghamshire Police said there would be internal disciplinary proceedings to consider his future.

District Judge Tim Devas described the incident as "a dreadful error of judgement" and said it had been brought about by an illness that should have been diagnosed and treated properly.

RSPCA picture of the dead dogs
The dogs died in the car last June

The RSPCA, which had prosecuted the case, welcomed the verdict and said that those responsible for animals must be held to account for their actions, no matter what their profession.

Simon Parker, from the RSPCA, said: "Two dogs died unnecessarily, a horrific death, and a conviction was wholeheartedly the right decision today, and I'm thankful for the judge for that.

"Everyone needs to remember how hot cars can get during warm weather. Cases like this - particularly when it's a professional person - should not happen."

The organisation said it accepted that Johnson's care of dogs had previously been exemplary and he had not acted callously.

Heatstroke

He was not banned from looking after animals in the future.

The court heard that dogs Jet, aged seven, and 18-month-old Jay-Jay, died possibly within 20 minutes from heatstroke which would have brought about multiple organ failure.

Assistant Chief Constable Peter Davies: "Internal disciplinary processes will now take place"

Johnson, who has served with the force for nearly 18 years, told the court that his medical condition, along with the stresses of the job, had left him seriously ill.

The court was told on 30 June last year, Johnson drove his black Ford Mondeo estate to Nottinghamshire Police's HQ in Arnold, just north of Nottingham.

He arrived just before 0700 BST and had planned to transfer the dogs to a police car but it was off the road as the air conditioning system was being fixed.

He found another car but there were no mats in the back and when he went to find some he became distracted by a police briefing.

Afterwards, he told his sergeant he wanted to discuss some medical issues with him later in the day but he needed time to do his paperwork.

At about 1030 BST he planned to let his dogs out of the car, give them water and allow them to stretch their legs. But he became distracted again by a phone call about a missing person.

At noon, he had a meeting with his sergeant about his problems and it was not until nearly 1430 BST that he finally went to check on his dogs, seven hours later.

© BBC Nottingham

Face facts, if he wasn't OB, he'd have been sent down.

So why is he exempt?

Can I just chain my wife to the car door, claim depression and get away with it?

I doubt it.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: In All Fairness, Would we Have Got Away With This...?

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:13 am

If the story is as he says it is then i dont think he or anyone would be sent down for this.

Plus with prisons overcrowded as they are, a fine, and a ban from owning an animal should be enough punishment in any case
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby ewalborn15 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 am

I don't think you can be exempt from that SE, but just in case I'm gonna have the cops keep an eye on you for the next couple of weeks.
DRINK AND BE MERRY!!

And it's Arsenal! Arsenal FC! We're by far the BEST TEAM the world has EVER SEEN!
Words that will bring tears to any Gooner's eye.
ewalborn15
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 am

SE13 wrote:
Face facts, if he wasn't OB, he'd have been sent down.

So why is he exempt?

Can I just chain my wife to the car door, claim depression and get away with it?

I doubt it.

so your saying your wife is a dog? :dizzy:

;)
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 am

29.6 degrees is hardly hot
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby SE13 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 am

GPS Justin wrote:29.6 degrees is hardly hot

It is in England!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Artemis8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Well it obviously was wasn't it. I think the lack of water prob didn't help
Artemis8

Postby ozgooner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:00 am

i think you'll find that this bloke will be absolutely shattered over this incident , and he will be punishing himself plenty for his absentmindism . all police and customs dog handlers develop an incredibly close bond with their dogs .

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:24 am

For starters, this is England.

Second, on the outside, that may not seem hot to you, but inside a confined space, coupled with the dogs heavy breathing and not enough fresh air to circulate, the temperature inside could have been hitting 40 or even 50 degrees.

Thirdly, they were locked in their for 7 hours, with no water, if you don't think that is hardly hot i would be glad to lock you in a car in 30 degree heat for seven hours whilst wearing 2 jumpers and see how you fair.

And sorry, but if he was suffering from depression and OCD, he wasn't fit to do the job, he should have been sacked and banned from handling or owning animals for life.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gunner Down Under » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:46 am

gunngunn wrote:

For starters, this is England.

Second, on the outside, that may not seem hot to you, but inside a confined space, coupled with the dogs heavy breathing and not enough fresh air to circulate, the temperature inside could have been hitting 40 or even 50 degrees.

Thirdly, they were locked in their for 7 hours, with no water, if you don't think that is hardly hot i would be glad to lock you in a car in 30 degree heat for seven hours whilst wearing 2 jumpers and see how you fair.

And sorry, but if he was suffering from depression and OCD, he wasn't fit to do the job, he should have been sacked and banned from handling or owning animals for life.

Crap I just read it again and found out this was in a car :lipssealed:

30 Celsius is really bad if it's in a car

btw I thought the dog was tied to a pole or something :BangHead:
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Return to The Big Debate