Is love just an equation?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Is love just an equation?

Postby gzagee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:57 pm

In your opinion what makes people fall in love?

Is it something intangible, a feeling that grows through a connection between two people, or is it just an equation?

Was having a conversation with a friend who believes love is essentially a combination of at least two of three factors: wealth, power and looks.

What do you reckon?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Is love just an equation?

Postby niko197 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:21 pm

i could agree with your friend, today it's important are you good looking and how much money you have. at least that's from my point of view, here in croatia we have a plenty gold diggers...
niko197
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Prince » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:08 pm

what if yr already rich then what will you look for?
Twitter : @VarunChandaria
Prince
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dolly Hooligan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Wealth and power? Not important for me and thousands of others I imagine.

Attraction is not dismissable I think but without the rest of it... forget it!
Dolly Hooligan
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby SE13 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Dolly Hooligan wrote:Wealth and power? Not important for me and thousands of others I imagine.

I have none of those qualities, I've been married for ten years.

(Nice to see you back Dolly)

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Dolly Hooligan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 pm

SE13 wrote:
Dolly Hooligan wrote:Wealth and power? Not important for me and thousands of others I imagine.

I have none of those qualities, I've been married for ten years.

(Nice to see you back Dolly)

Thanks - Well the thing about attraction is it doesn't rely on somebody being (like there's a right and a wrong anyway!) conventionally good looking. Take myself for example - Im rather partial to slapheads as opposed to my best mate who loves hairy men!
Dolly Hooligan
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby djaxster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Well its obvious that different people find different attractions.

When i first meet my missus i had just come out of a bit of a messy relationship and defo wasn't looking to jump into another one. She drank and then got a job in my local. At first i didn't really notice her but her friend started going out with a friend of mine and so her and herfriend kind of joined our click.
After a few weeks i could sense there was something there but i wasn't sure whether i wanted to get involved ,as she is a older than me and it was only a few months after i had split with my ex.
She came onto me one night and whilst she went to the bog i quickly left and went home. But i felt really bad about after and is wasn't until my mate told me that i was being and idoit and that she was a good looking,lovely and bubbly woman that i finally felt ok with it all.
And we will have been together for 8 years this summer.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TheLittleMozart » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:31 pm

I don't really think wealth and power comes into the equation so much, but looks definatley becuase 9 times out of 10, looks are what initially attracts the person of the oppiste sex.

After that I personality plays a big part, especially in this day and age what with texting and instant messaging.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:16 pm

No
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 pm

T & A
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby foxy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm

The Massa Machine wrote:T & A

Damn right there!
Aaron Ramsey's magic, he wears an Arsenal hat. Sir Alex said come play for me but Aaron said f**k that. Ramsey is a Gooners fan, he wears his shirt with pride, he plays for Arsenal FC, red and white army by his side!
foxy
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Gza, is your friend Crystal Carrington because she sounds like something straight out of Dynasty?

Wealth and power don't have much to do with it these days. Sure, power is sexy if you're a top politician or a company director blah blah but a woman can just as easily fall in love with their postman as they can with their company director.
Wealth can also be sexy (more to women than men I'd imagine) but I like to think that most British girls have to make some sort of connection with a person before they worry about how much they have in the bank.
Money might make you more attractive to a Polish cleaning lady who's desperate for a passport but I'm not sure it carries much weight these days.

Looks definitely come into it but then again there are plenty of examples of women (and men) who have chosen someone mostly because they get on with them so well. That's why you see so many mingers walking around fit birds.
It's clearly not their looks that they've gone for!
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 pm

Wealth and power can be relative to your situation or your own idea of success.

In today's world- nay, in any world or/and culture it can be argued that the qualtities that lots of people look/ed for are a level of success or someone aspiring to be that.

Now, success can be measured in many ways. It doesn't necessarily mean one must be a top entrepeneur, royalty, celeb, sportsperson or politician. It can simply be somebody in a better situation than yourself.

Therefore, the argument that love is an equation can be deemed a reasonable one.
This is because peeps don't only judge on looks.
How many folks would happily trade a better life with someone more successful with being flat broke but in love with 'the one'?

You may, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the masses would too.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:50 pm

I suppose it all depends on your definition of falling in love.
I would still maintain that you can't fall in love with money. Even if you were unemployed and really skint and met some loathsome halitosis-faced Tim Nice-but-dim character you couldn't fall in love with him purely because he's rich.
You might tell yourself that you could marry him and then learn to love him but you'd be kidding yourself.

Falling in love usually happens by accident rather than by design so if you fall in love with someone that happens to have money it's a nice bonus, that's all.
How many women have reached adulthood and decided that they're off out to find a tall, handsome, rich man and yet they've just ended up with the penniless guy next door?
You can only fall in love with what you see or come into contact with and if you aint got a pot to piss in you're unlikely to meet a wealthy man.

As the great Hannibal Lecter once said: "We covet what we see every day Clarisssse."
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 am

I think we need to come away from being rich.
Being with someone "more successful" does not necessarily mean he/she has to be rich.

After all, how many rich folk do we come across where love actually becomes a possibility?

Relate that to the judgement calls peeps may make such as:

He/she's got a better car
He/she actually drives a car
Working on their aspirations (upwardly mobile)
Popularity/ influence amongst peers, contemporaries, friends
Owns their own property/properties

And there are other factors we take into consideration.

I don't think it is purely down to looks and personality.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Next

Return to The Big Debate